Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Premiership Poll

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Here are some questions that i got from another for us to answer and discuss, sort of a way to unite the premiership problems.

1. Has the Premiership become boring?

2. Is it too expensive to go to matches?

3. Is there too much Premiership football on TV?

4. Have the players now lost touch with the fans?

5. What can be done to bring Premiership football back to the people?

1. Yes imho, i prefer the championship or la liga. They are more open leagues with a different number of teams able to beat each other. The premiership seem to of split into 4 different mini leagues, not that great.

2. Yes, no arguement about it

3. No but i could be tempted to say yes. I hate monday night matchs never liked them. Also we need a bigger mixture of teams, everyweek there will be either arsenals, chelsea, man utd or newcaslte (this season) game on. How about wigan vs west brom, they may not have the best players but it'll be an exciting match

4. Alot of players have, they are too big for there boots and need to do more especially at kids level. I remember going to summer coaching schools at the end of the week a first team player or maybe a few would come give out medals play games just little things like this. A nephew went to one of these last summer, a youth player was sent.

5. Cap wages prevents players demanding too much and can stop clubs going to financial ruin. This in turn can help bring ticket prices down, this is a must. Introduce more offers like mini season tickets where fans can purchase say 5 tickets but get a discount cause they are being bought together. Childrens tickets need to be cheaper. travel incentives like at charlton where the club provides coachs for fans who cant go to matchs becuase of travel problems. Finally appreciate fans more because if it wasnt for us alot of these footballers would be in the dole que on a monday morning.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. I admit I prefer the Championship and do have a soft spot for League one & two (okay, it's an excuse to laugh at friends of mine when their teams lose...) It's been boring for ages though, always the same teams winning. Hopwfully this season will be different and we'll someone else in Europe... last season wasn't too bad though, relegation battle on the last day adn last place for Europe. (Decided in the 90th minute I think?)

2. It does depend on whose playing, but after looking at some of the prices some of them are far too high...

3. This can be debated actually, some weeks there's too much Pemiership football on and sometimes there's not alot on.
    I think the title has being between a few teams for a while now but when Arsenal and Man U were leading the pack there was always the chance of taking points off them (even for the smaller clubs) but Chelsea are looking really solid and there defensive record so far this season has set a new record and its hard to see where they will slip up. I think this alone is making everyone question the excitement of the league.
    I thought last year was quite exciting as Chart freak said with the relegation and Liverpool in Europe.
    As stated in the press aswell recently a lot of teams have switched to the 4-5-1 system which is a more defensive system which people are using as they basically scrap to stay in the premiership (which is the aim of probably half the league). I know Chelsea and Man U use this system aswell but they have the quality to make this 4-3-3 when attacking.

Way too expensive, no argument. I support Leeds though and the tickets to Leeds games are far too expensive for me.

Like said before, sometimes there too much on, sometimes too little. I can only watch sky matches in the pub anyway and i'm not in there 24/7 so week matches rarely get watched by me anyway. Someone mentioned the same nucleous of teams getting tv time but the other week surely the Manchester derby would have being a better option than the tripe they put on (can't remember who it was).

Can't really comment because I don't follow a premiership team any more. From a Leeds point of view the players certainly haven't lost touch with the fans and thats saying something because we've had a full new squad from 2 years ago. They set up a monthly night out at the "Lorimers bar" where for a tenner youy can go get a meal etc. and they have the manager, coaches, first team players all talking about Leeds and the future etc. Players also visit Leeds childrens hospital and meet the young kids in their having treatment. They set up coaching courses for kids where players attend. So from a Leeds point of view they keep very much in touch with the fans.

Its a toughy, we want to see the best players in the world in the premiership but with only a handfull of teams (or just Chelsea) who can afford them its making a massive gulf between the rest of the teams. Salary caps may help depending how they do it. Think what they have done in the lower leagues could be an answer but the gulf would probably still be there (A max of 60% of their income can be put on wages). Putting a price on the maximum they can pay you might stop the premiership attracting all the best players. I don't know really.

Yes, although the "attractive teams" are partially to blame. Without sounding arrogant, Arsenal and Man United have pushed the envelope so far the other clubs have had to change their game (rightly) to combat it. If Chelsea can do what they did last season with a 4-5-1 then the less successful teams are going to copy them. Now we have fewer goals and the game is bogged down in midfield. Hardly worth the theatre prices we pay.

It depends. You can still get in to lower league clubs for a reasonable price but in Premiership terms yes. Premiership teams have fans all around the world. If I wanted to go to Highbury (for one game), it'll cost around £45 for a "good seat", another £50-60 travel (train and tube) and another £20-30 for refreshments, programmes etc. so we're talking about £125 for a single game. Obviously local fans don't have to worry about the travel but even then it's about £70, for one adult, for one game.

I dread to think what it would cost for an average family to go. But sadly football fans are willing to pay these prices.

Yes and no. I'm not complaining but Sky is at saturation point. But there is far too little Premiership football on terrestrial. MOTD and The Premiership didn't do the smaller teams justice.

Without a shadow of a doubt yes! Teams can now earn as much in a week as half a full stand. How can you relate or emphasise with someone who earns so much. They are becoming as distant as the Royal Family or Hollywood Celebrities. Don't get me wrong, I love Arsenal, but for what they do on the pitch, not their personality (*cough* Ashley Cole *cough*). Apart from one or two, there are no more "working class heroes". They've distanced themselves from the fans rather than the other way round.

5. What can be done to bring premiership back to the people?

a) A European or Worldwide wage cap. Players greed must be tapered. They are no longer paid "what they are worth". If it were Europe-wide it wouldn't affect the standard of the game with wages, ideally, being only a set percentage of income.

b) Lower ticket prices. No brainer. If you lower the prices significantly, especially for groups or families they will come. But it has to be a significant decrease, not a token £5.

c) Less live Premiership football on Sky. More delayed coverage a la Football First. Limit live games to one a week on Saturdays and Sundays and one a fortnight on Mondays. All rights to games currently on Premiership Plus could be sold on to terrestrial channels.

d) Mini-Season Tickets. Pay for 2,3,4 etc games in advance and get a discount without the extortionate season ticket prices.

e) A point for every goal scored. Perhaps should be tested in European competitions first.

f) Reorganise European football. Group stages from the start in the UEFA cup etc.
    I think not, in terms of the football standards you see now. In terms of competiton it has though. It has taken Chelsea £200m to start competing with Arsenal and United and unless someone else does the same, or Roman gives up then it'll take much the same sort of investment to get any team outside of the "big five" to challenge.

I miss the days when teams like Norwich and Villa mounted a challenge

Of course, at least for the average joe it is. If you are young and single or have a decent income then maybe not.

I don't have a problem with it though because it's a demand thing and prices will drop if attendances do. Plus it might encourage a few people to turn up at lower league/local games instead and that can only be a good thing for football generally. It's the drift from supporting local teams which kills the game and I admit that I'm as guilty of that as anyone.

Probably. United have played five times this season. Only one hasn't been shown live and that was the Derby FFS! Work that out. It's also the only game which kicked of at 3pm on a Saturday.

To be honest how many people are rooted to the spot for all the games, how many might have the TV on while doing something else?

If you earn £50k per week then you are unlikely to keep touch really. If you quibble of £100-£120k then clearly you have.

I think the players have forgotten why they get so much money and a little respect for their fans wouldn't go amiss. Loyalty would be nice too!

BTW Wage caps are not an option. EU employment law would ensure that isn't possible. It would be restraint of trade.

Time. It will happen without any steps being taken because the cycle will turn again.

To be honest, how many people here would actually like to see a rise of the League/Non-League instead. I know I would.

Tough to say. I think people are getting too carried away because the cricket was so exciting, they are comparing it to a premiership which hasn't been nearly as exciting so far. Chelsea don't do much to help this. I always say 'If they're going to buy the league again, the least they can do is entertain us with some nice football.' Spoiling tactics are not the way forward :no: . Italian attendances anyone?

Yes. Especially at the London clubs.

No. There's more premiership football shown in Australia (true!) than in Britain for fucks sake!

It's not like back in the day when a whole club was made of British based die-for-the-cause players. Alot of clubs are majority foreign now. It's natural that the fans and players don't have the same connection. Footballers are hideously overpaid but that has been the case for some time. It was always the glamour profession.

I've thought about certain things. Like perhaps 4 points for a win to encourage positive play, but it's still a stupid idea as draws often have to be fought for. And it still doesn't stop the Chelsea score and be cynical ploy. You could always have bonus points and shit like that for scoring x amount of goals, but it's all a nonsense really. Leave it as it is. I think the most important thing the clubs need to realise is that we want to be entertained.