Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tips for UNI

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok. To put it simply, Me = Party Animal trapped in a shy guys body.

When i meet people i tend to either speak Wayyyyyyy to much or not at all.... usually meaning i end up annoying the hell outta people... Essentially, does anyone here have any tips for meeting new people?

Just when i goto uni i wanna meet loadsa people but dont wanna come across like a shy guy / a nob.

Comments

• Options
    Well if you've only got the choice of speaking too much or not at all, do it too much. If you don't say much at all, they won't get to know you at all, if you speak maybe a little too much, they might get annoyed by you, or they might like it. (As long as you talk about something other than your course, they'll probably get that from everyone)
    But I'm sure you can try to control yourself and find a happy medium. There's a lot of us in the same boat and we've all got to just get on with it and see what happens.
  • Options
    Agree with Ladon, it's better to be talkative as opposed to not speaking at all. If you're starting uni, don't worry about talking to new people as everyone will be speaking to everyone and when you meet people from different areas, theres usually alot of conversation you could have there for example.

As long as you look interested in what the other person is saying and you come across as confident (even if you're not) and friendly then you should have no problems.
  • Options
    there's nothing wrong with being talkative, just make sure you let other people get a word in edgeways!
  • Options
    I've met some friendly people in uni, although I'm quite self-conscious about whether I talk too much or about appropriate things (however I make people laugh, but one person doesn't seem comfortable around me). Everybody is in the same boat though and they do talk...

I mean I've only encountered the odd person who isn't willing to talk for whatever their reasons are... Maybe they're shy too.

As for being a party animal... Fly free, be who you want to be because there's no time like the present to reinvent yourself.
  • Options
    I've met some friendly people in uni, although I'm quite self-conscious about whether I talk too much or about appropriate things (however I make people laugh, but one person doesn't seem comfortable around me). Everybody is in the same boat though and they do talk...

I mean I've only encountered the odd person who isn't willing to talk for whatever their reasons are... Maybe they're shy too.

As for being a party animal... Fly free, be who you want to be because there's no time like the present to reinvent yourself.

You are right. There is this girl who is herself with other people and there is simply no line on when to stop. And when I'm around, her voice is
    basically.

*The way I could state the first one is by seeing her when she does not see me*
  • Options
    I hope I meet friends next week, when I start my classes. Freshers was shit, everyone was walking around with a face like a cat's arse...Lighten up sour beaks :sour:

Just be patient, I guess and you'll meet your niche..that's what Im hoping
  • Options
    Just be friendly and nice :) and don't get a boyfriend within thirty seconds of getting there....road to ruin!!!!
  • Options
    Just be friendly and nice :) and don't get a boyfriend within thirty seconds of getting there....road to ruin!!!!

you speaking from experience? ;)
  • Options
    you speaking from experience? ;)

Lol nope. But I lived with girls who did it, one of them we never saw and ended up not really part of our flat. It just alienates you from everyone else, I can see why you would do it... .but personally? In first year, make some friends, have some fun. Thats the best way!!
  • Options
    We've actually just put up a whole new section about student life.

Check out these articles particularly:

Making friends at Freshers week

Fresher fears

Happy student life

Hope they help calm your nerves a bit!

:)