Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I stay or Should I go! :)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right...

When I left high school there were 2 things I wanted to do with my life...

Work in IT Engineering, or a music related job (Studio Technition or Sound Engineer or something like that)

Music has always been my first love, but I went with the IT work because its more stable and there is alot more work out there...

I went to college, got an AVCE and started working for a company doing PC Builds / Repairs / Networking etc...

Things have been going very well, im doing well at the job... I have good future prospects and im working for a nice company...

Here is my problem... over the last few months I have started to question weather or not im happy doing this Job and is it really what I want to do for the rest of my life!?

Im 22 years old now, and im wondering weather or not to go to Uni next year and persue my dream of working in the music related industry...

Its a big risk, as getting work after will be alot harder, and I will be starting all over again, I wont even finish uni until im 27...

So my question really is do I stay in my stable carrer with very good prospects... or take a risk and go for something I would much rather be doing?

Thanks

James
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take the risk and go to uni. Definately. You dont wanna be 27 and thinking "what if..."

You can always come back to the line of work you are currently doing.
    draven wrote:
    Take the risk and go to uni. Definately. You dont wanna be 27 and thinking "what if..."

You can always come back to the line of work you are currently doing.

Yeah.... see thats one thing thats pushing me more towards doing it...

If I go to uni and things dont work out... I still have a couple of years experience and quallifications in IT, so I have something to fall back on!

It just scare's me a bit making such a life changing decision, so I thought I would hear what other people think of it!

Thanks for the reply
    You've got the experience of the workplace so you might as well go to Uni. Older students are widely accepted now as well, most of the poeple on my media degree were over 30 years old. I think its a good idea. Go and do Music Technology but make sure its not a media course eg Multimedia Music Production is a no-no unless you want to learn about media. Do some research and go for it. At least if it goes wrong you have some experience under you belt to go straight back into the workforce again!
    JamesZero wrote:
    or take a risk and go for something I would much rather be doing?
    :yes: i think you already know what you want to do tbh. its only anxiety thats holding you back. deal with it. and go for it.