Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

student jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
this kind of stems off muses thread ACCOMODATION and money matter

does anyone have any advice on getting a job whilst at uni???
Im doing a degree at college so my term dates are odd! im there for a month then im bk home for 10days for half term. then im there for another month then im bk for 3weeks for xmas! i dont think im allowed to stay in halls in the hols, so i have to go home. no employer would b happy with me talking time off as often as this! but i wil need a job for extra money to cover costs as the loan will only cover rent. any advice?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should double check about holidays. I was allowed to stay in halls, but some of my friends were kicked out, the divide seemed roughly catered and self-catered.

You could get a part-time job during term-time, employers in uni towns are used to the ways of students. If you work for a big company like pizza hut (and it's franchises) tescos tkmaxx etc, you can get transfered for holidays.
    thanks. ill look into mcdonalds pizza hut ect :)
    Have u thought of your uni union? They are very flexible on hours and are prob closed or reduced hours during hols
    I worked in a nightclub during my first year at uni about 3 times a week from 9pm until 5am.
    It was ok but I probably wouldnt do it again, I was in halls so I couldn't sleep in the next day cos it was noisy, I often missed lectures the morning after work and my bodyclock was a bit of a mess. I'm naturally a nightowl so prefer doing nightshifts though.

I couldnt get a day job cos my lectures and lab sessions were so spread out across the week that I didnt have enough hours off in the day to get a part-time day job. It really annoys me how they do this, so much wasted time doing nothing.
    Waitressing or a bar job (but not a club) is a better option - finish earlier and better tips etc.
    But even in the big cities, its harder to get a a job than you'd think, they're often overun with applicants.
    Ok so if there's a lot of applications, obviously some wont find a job .. aren't u pretty much f**ked then? I just think that with all the stuff that will go on in the first few weeks it'll be pretty hard to get a job, nd all the ones doing like 2 day a week courses or whtaever will take them =P

Going off at a bit of a tangent now, can you still afford to buy stuff for ureself ever at uni or is it generally just essentials? Just wondering cos working out a budget will be tough ! :D
    muse- wrote:
    Going off at a bit of a tangent now, can you still afford to buy stuff for ureself ever at uni or is it generally just essentials? Just wondering cos working out a budget will be tough ! :D
    your uni can help you find local PT work. like at my uni there is a workbank which does exactly that... i'm sure most unis have an equivelent. work is not that hard to find even though nearly every uni student needs a Pt job but i guess it depends on the area where you are and whats avaliable and what you are willing to do. tbh without a job - you will really struggle to make ends meet financially... unless you have rich parents or something?!... it is impossible to survive just on your student loan. but another way of doing it is to consider working in the holidays and save up money rather than just doing the odd 2-3 days/ nights/ evenings in term time.
    You could try applying for work in a big chain supermarket because they tend to be able to transfer you from the supermarket in your uni town to the supermarket in your home town. Assuming that'd apply to you. It also means you don't have to go for long periods without a job.
    Worth noting that some universities don’t like their students working at all, although I think the only one that don’t let you are Oxford and Cambridge. I’d guess all unis though would advise you to really try and avoid it if at all possible and work in holidays instead.
    i took GI's advice and applied to mcdonalds...i was stunned by just how flexible they are for their students. it is definately worth a try, although the wages are alot less than what i had previously been earning over the last six years in my other job. beggers can't be choosers though!
    I think the only one that don’t let you are Oxford and Cambridge.
    :yeees: :confused:
    I’d guess all unis though would advise you to really try and avoid it if at all possible and work in holidays instead.
    most unis would advise you to get good time management skills. and would approve of you working in term time or outside it for the experience you are going to get from it.
    Went into sainsburies to try and get an app form and they said i needed a cv .... What is the point ??? mine would be blank as i was too lazy to get a job while doing A levels :P

Is there any way around this? friends back at home got jobs with no cv :/