Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is this right?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Only asking because it was mentioned last week and my dad believes this is wrong:

I started 6th form a week last Monday and we had some paper work to sort out. And one of the things we were asked to put on this paper work was our mobile phone numbers. Now, I didn't think much of this until I talked to my dad about this and he told me that he didn't think it was right that we had to give this kind of information out.
Is he right?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why wouldn't that be right?

They might need to contact you if you don't show up, and people aren't always reachable on a landline number.
    well I guess you didn't have to give the number out to them? it was just more of an obligation right?

If you are that bothered, you shouldn't have given it to them.

I doubt they will use it for any stupid reasons that you wouldn't agree with.
    Usually its not compulsory to give a mobile phone number as not everyone owns a mobile but if you feel happy for them to have your number then thats ok I'm sure they aren't going to do anything weird with it. Most places ask for a mobile number now.
    Yep, most forms asking for personal info these days normally have a gap for both mobile number and personal email address... That doesn't mean that you *have* to put something in those gaps..
    You don't have to give it, if you don't want.
    What is the harm of handing it?
    i put mine on my forms at college and my form tutor rang me up once to ask why i hadn't attended my review. oops!
    Scarlet wrote:
    Why wouldn't that be right?

They might need to contact you if you don't show up, and people aren't always reachable on a landline number.

That's exactly what we got told, however my dad still doesn't agree with it...
    i'd say you're old enough now to make your own decisions..if you want to give them your mobile number, give them it. but personally i don't see the problem. they have your address, don't they!
    don't give them it ... it's just to ring you up and find out where u are when ure ill (or bunking :D). They wont use it for profit or anything like that but you don't HAVE to give it to them, though its not dangerous.
    you don't have to give it. but its neither right or wrong. i've had to do the same thing before now for some classes...
    Its just one of those things they ask for, I have lost count of how many forms I had to fill in at school etc with all my personnel details on.
    muse- wrote:
    don't give them it ... it's just to ring you up and find out where u are when ure ill (or bunking :D). They wont use it for profit or anything like that but you don't HAVE to give it to them, though its not dangerous.

I know that. We do have the space on our timetable to put our mobile & hom numbers on - certainly won't put it on though because anyone could see it...
    kathryn wrote:
    I think it's their way of trying to make you take more responsibility for your actions, whats the point of ringing an 18 year olds mum?

True...
    It will probably be for emergencies, and to be honest. If you're bunking off to speak to you directly. To be honest, I don't see what the big deal is, you're old enough to be taking responsibility for these things. Plus, in terms of exams, let me tell you, you'll be glad for that mobile ringing to tell you you've overslept and written your timetable wrong, and that actually the exam that you thought was in the afternoon? Is actually in the morning.

Going to sixth form is part of growing up, how are you going to react when your work asks for all sorts of contact numbers? Refuse?