Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

student (a level) jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not too keen on the idea of being a 'general sales assistant' - not because im pretentious about the kind of work, just i wouldn't be 100% comfortable with serving loads of strangers. So I was thinking what else is there? well, there's more manual labour, like I could try and find work cleaning up, car washer, etc. etc. etc. but they're not easily accessible

my brainy idea was to do what I know - computers and the like. I was thinking first of building base units cheaply then selling them on eBay for £300 or so (assembled for £200) but looking on eBay other people on there are selling them for incredibly cheap prices, £200 etc. so perhaps not that. But, what about putting an ad in a few shops' windows and offering 'custom built' PCs, but then again - that's likely a saturated market too.

With september here now there's going to be lots of jobs, first with uni students going quitting their summer jobs and second with the christmas temporary work coming out. I wouldn't want tonnes of money, £25 a week or so would do me, but does anyone have an non-retail kind of jobs I could look into?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You'll always make cash by doing a spot of PC repair if you know how to fix them.

Personally I think you are best off doing a brainless job in a bar or a supermarket, so you can leave your mind to concentrate on your studies. Get application forms sent in to the local supermarkets now, and you'll find something.
    to be honest, for a 16/17 year old there isn't a lot else apart from retail work that i am aware of. it's easy work and generally good money.
    Collecting supermarket trolleys? There was a job on the JobCentre website for our local Morrisons for that kinda position! :)
    yeh be a trolley boy! i've done that a few times, though obviously i'm a girl.
    FFS, I wrote out a really big reply to this, but then my comp screwed and I lost it. Grrr.

Basically, I don't think you should be too picky when it comes to a part time job. As Kermit said, you are gonna want to focus on your sudies. The retail sector always has vacancies so that's your best bet. Yeah, you will probably need to interact with the general public, but it gives you chance to develop your skills, which are obviously valuable. So what if it isn't the most interesting job in the world, you are only looking for something to do up until you go off to uni, right? Plus, if you work at a supermarket or something it will give you a bigger opportunity to make friends with colleagues too.

Everyone looks down at working in a supermarket. I know I did. But since I've worked in one part-time, I've realised it isn't that bad. It's something required all year round..the work doesn't run out.

Anyway, good luck finding something.
    I was a glass collector and waitress while doing my A levels.

Or how about working at royal mail, they always need people at Christmas.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Or how about working at royal mail, they always need people at Christmas.

That's not such a bad idea, its what I did.

I did nights at Royal mail on the computer sorting system, it knacked me but I earned a grand in a month.
    data input :thumb:

can be mind-numbingly boring, but there are usually loads of people of a similar age and situation to chat to while you work, no joe public, and usually pays fairly well too.
    Kitchen Assistant. I've worked one shift a week (sunday lunch) filling baguettes, cutting cakes etc washing up got about £25 a week and can get the odd extra shift if im skint. Pot wash is so mindless, I can turn up stoned and manage perfectly :D
    You could always work at a football stadium. That's what I did.
    Gate Steward. It's quite boring. But you work for 5 hours a couple of times a month and get about £25 per game.
    Sometimes you can see bits of the game.
    Or work on the Turnstiles, not sure how much they get paid, less than the gate stewards though, but I think you can watch the game once you've finished.
    Data input rocks, 'cos of the money and all.

If you're into computers, search around for computer support jobs (either on site or over the phone). Trying to do it yourself is impossible - as you say, you can't undercut those on eBay, plus most machines don't sell on eBay. You simply wouldn't make a profit, and if you did, the hassle is incredible.

I chose an IT support job over this summer, because it pays about £8 an hour, and I don't have to think or worry about profits or anything like that. I go to work, do my job, get paid, go home, switch off.

It gets boring after a while, but if you think of the money and the fact it's only for a summer, it's worth it.
    Retail isn't too bad.

Picky bugger.
    I got offered a job at the local supermarket and am considering taking it, obviously there'd be an interview when I could decide if it was the right job for me (going in under the pretense of incredible enthusiasm and "omg i want this job"). It was quite peculiar really, I go there with my mum and when my mum was there yesterday they said to her that if I wanted a job they were looking for staff to replace the students - whilst in the meantime my friends haven't been able to find work after looking for weeks! :razz:

So, should I hand in a CV there and ask them to pass it to the manager, or should I go and talk to them and get an application form if they do them?

TSB
    Well I wrote a CV, and included a short covering letter saying that I'd heard about the job vacancy and if they wanted anyone I was available, saying when I was free etc. etc.

Guess it's up to them now, think my mum is going to hand it in tomorrow or something :p
    There were three jobs, and all three were gone already! Can you believe that? I'm going to write out some (brief) covering letters (attract the managers attention to ME) and hand my CV in to a couple of places round here, I got complimented on the layout and presentation of my CV etc. :D