Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Most Dangerous Job in the world ..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
According to discovery channel it's being an Alaskan Crab Fisherman..

The pay anything up to $50,000 for 8 weeks worth of work .. would you take such a risk for such a big pay out?

Deep in the frigid waters of the Bering Sea lurks one of the most sought after prizes in the world, the highly coveted and lucrative Alaska King Crab. Each year, a fleet of 250+ boats spreads out across the sea, awaiting the official harvesting season. It could be four days in length or as many as 12. Yet these rogue fishermen won't know until the voice of the Alaskan Fish and Wildlife Authority crackles across their radios to announce the beginning and end of the race.

This uncertainty results in crew members pulling 20-hour shifts in sub-zero weather, exposed to the harsh elements on an icy deck pitching to and fro. The harried and exhausted crew pursues only one purpose: catching as many King Crabs as possible before the season ends.

Why do men risk life and limb every season? Perhaps it's because crab fishing in the Bering Strait is thought to be one of the last great gold rushes on earth. In a good year, an experienced deck hand working a short eight-week period can bring home almost $50,000. But the potential to make big money fast brings with it an all too often tragic consequence: crushed fingers, crippled hands, cracked ribs, broken feet and even man overboard. Those are on-the-job hazards where death is more common than in any other occupation in the world.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd say a contractor or security guard in Iraq would be the worst job in the World.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'd say a contractor or security guard in Iraq would be the worst job in the World.

Yeah i was thinking of that one.
    bongbudda wrote:

Worst or most Dangerous?

Somehow I think being in a boat in the icy waters of Alaska is far more dangerous.

You only see onthe news when someone gets killed in Iraq, they're not going to show stories of the guy that goes there .. earns a packet and goes home.
    How many fishermen get kidnaped or shot at? Not many.

I would say being a contractor in Iraq is considerably more dangerous.
    Worst or most Dangerous?

Somehow I think being in a boat in the icy waters of Alaska is far more dangerous.

You only see onthe news when someone gets killed in Iraq, they're not going to show stories of the guy that goes there .. earns a packet and goes home.

My buds over there at the mo and he's on pretty delicate operations and it really sounds hideous to be quite honest. So i think i'd swap for 4 months of iraq for one night of crab fishing to be fair. Mind you he's barking so he'd probably enjoy the crab fishing adventure :rolleyes:
    McDonalds = Worst and most dangerous job ever :), give me crab fishing any day, lol
    there are lots of jobs that are dangerous, but we could say that with anything. i work at tesco, but a shelf of beans might fall on me. my mum is a psychiatric nurse, she could have crazy old people chasing after her. my sister is an immigration officer. she isn't allowed to wear her work badge out of work incase she is targeted. my step-dad works in oil refineries and relies on breathing equipment to aid his breathing. he also relies on his other workers to know that they're doing. any job has it's different hazards, some just more hazardous than others. :)
    Testing Bunjee rope for length?
    id do crab fishing for $50,000, whatever that is in real money
    That like £20,000 which you could earn 6 times over in a year. Thats almost as much as a company director? Where do I sign up?
    Cristal wrote:
    That like £20,000 which you could earn 6 times over in a year. Thats almost as much as a company director? Where do I sign up?

You didnt really read the information did you. Its a short season, thats why the money is good but the risks high.

But of course if you have a family to support and that all the income you're going to get $50,000 for a year isnt massive money.
    true dat
    bongbudda wrote:
    You didnt really read the information did you. Its a short season, thats why the money is good but the risks high.

But of course if you have a family to support and that all the income you're going to get $50,000 for a year isnt massive money.
    Im sure they'd do other jobs in the off season
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Siberian Breakdown Recorery.
    I watched the first few episodes of the series on Alaskan Crab fishing and nothing bad happened. Then they started a new series with the same people but in the very first episode a ship sinks and 4 guys are drowned ... only 1 guy from the ship survived ... pretty sad .. :(
    I watched the first few episodes of the series on Alaskan Crab fishing and nothing bad happened. Then they started a new series with the same people but in the very first episode a ship sinks and 4 guys are drowned ... only 1 guy from the ship survived ... pretty sad .. :(

Yeh watched that the other night... dangers waters that's for sure!
    On the next program it looks like someone goes overboard from the preview.
    Skyscraper window washer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    thesite.org maintenance man
This discussion has been closed.