Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

post grad/ under grad

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
What is the difference between postgraduate and undergraduate?
I've tryed looking it up but it really confused me!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i believe that post graduate is what you do when you've graduated from doing an under graduate?
    Yea, think of it like this: when you do a degree, you are actually doing an undergraduate degree. However, after you have a degree, if you want to go and do ANOTHER one on top of that, you can do a post graduate degree and get a PHd or whatever it's called, a doctorate?

Postgraduate degrees are normally for those wishing to get involved in research or further study in their field of interest, rather than becomming more qualified for a job in that field. But jobs like lecturers almost always have postgraduates.
    Ok thanks, my goal is to be a child psychologist and its about 6 years at uni so im guessing 3 of those are undergrad and the other 3 postgrad
    post means after.

after graduation means that you already have your first degree.

Postgraduate courses are for people who already have degrees.

Undergraduate courses are for people who do not have degrees.
    Ok thanks, my goal is to be a child psychologist and its about 6 years at uni so im guessing 3 of those are undergrad and the other 3 postgrad

http://jobprofiles.monster.com/Content/job_content/JC_Science/JSC_SocialScience/copy_of_JOB_StaffPsychologist/jobzilla_html?jobprofiles=1
    * A doctoral degree is required for employment as a licensed clinical or counseling psychologist.
    * Psychologists with PhDs qualify for a wide range of teaching, research, clinical and counseling positions in universities, elementary and secondary schools, private industry and government.
    * Psychologists with doctorates of psychology usually work in clinical positions.

So yeah, you'd do your undergraduate, then your doctorate (post-graduate) degree if you wanted to be a child psychologist.