Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Curriculum Vitae

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm writing my CV so I can start applying for jobs straight away when I get to uni.

I've never written one before in my life, so if anyone could give me some pointers that'd be great. I've only had one job (although I had it for two years) so I'm worried it'll be a bit bare.

Also, do I write down the grades for AS levels if I carried them on to A level?

Ta.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Curriculum Vitae
    Lil Laura wrote:
    I'm writing my CV so I can start applying for jobs straight away when I get to uni.

I've never written one before in my life

Ok.. if you've never written one then I'm assuming you have no past employment??

Employers aren't generally interested in ALL your Gcses and A levels etc, particularly if your already at uni. Basics: name, address, contact details, past schools - secondary/sixth form only, employment history - brief, if you have on, interests, and a short paragraph about what job you want, i.e. student on uni course, interested in retail on a part time basis/bar work, outgoing, fun, really hard working, good team player, willing to work flexible hours etcetera.

hope this helps :):blush:
    Tailor it to the job you are applying for.

I break mine down into sections:

Personal - a short paragraph about yourself and your motivations.
    Qualifications - with details of schools/ colleges attended and approx dates.
    Other qualifications - first aid courses, driving licenses etc
    Employment history or work experience - detail any jobs you had, starting with the oldest first. For previous jobs or work experience keep it short but detail key roles.
    Key Skills - I've always been complimented on the inclusion of this section and would never take it out now. I always tailor it to the job I am applying for. Here are a couple of examples (which you can steal if you like, hehe!)
    • Can work well on own initiative and as a team member
    • Excellent timekeeping and attendance record
    • Self motivated to achieve targets
    • Good attention to detail and able to learn new skills quickly
    • Extremely careful and work efficiently and methodically in pressurised situations
    • Ability to prioritise my own workload and work well with minimum supervision
    • Polite, professional and courteous telephone manner
    • Accurate typing speed of approximately 60 w.p.m.
    • Confident using Microsoft Office programmes and computer databases
    Referees - sometimes you can simply write 'available on request'
    Ah that's great, thanks both of you.

Ok, couple more questions -

I'd only be interested in term time work (transferring home over holidays if possible), do I need to include that in my CV or just bring that up at interview?

And do I just write my term time contact details, or my home details as well?
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Ah that's great, thanks both of you.

Ok, couple more questions -

I'd only be interested in term time work (transferring home over holidays if possible), do I need to include that in my CV or just bring that up at interview?

And do I just write my term time contact details, or my home details as well?

If you go with the layout I've suggested then stick that information in your 'Personal' section. I think it is best to get it out in the open. A lot of places close to uni will appreciate that students are mainly interested in term time work only but it's best to be honest about it from the start. It would be awful to attend for interview, metion it and have them say that's no good to them.

I think you should just put your term time contact details on the CV. If you get a job with them you can always give them your home details too :)
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Referees - sometimes you can simply write 'available on request'

Spot on Bumble, it's the way I was taught and the style I like to see from other people. Apart from this part.

It's irrelevant on a CV. The CV is only about you, it's your sales document. If the organisation wants referres then there is usually a question in an application form - or they will ask separately.

Other tips generally for anyone reading this. Never include your age, marital status or driving status. These can only go against you. never include the words CV (or full version) at the top. The person reading will know what it is, you just insult their intelligence by putting that on there...
    BumbleBee wrote:
    If you go with the layout I've suggested then stick that information in your 'Personal' section. I think it is best to get it out in the open. A lot of places close to uni will appreciate that students are mainly interested in term time work only but it's best to be honest about it from the start. It would be awful to attend for interview, metion it and have them say that's no good to them.

I think you should just put your term time contact details on the CV. If you get a job with them you can always give them your home details too :)

Great, thanks.

Don't suppose I could PM you a rough draft for some pointers, could I?
    Lil Laura wrote:
    Great, thanks.

Don't suppose I could PM you a rough draft for some pointers, could I?

Course you can. And if you'd like to see a copy of some I have on my PC (I did some for friends) then that won't be a problem either :)
    Someone please explain something to me:
    In this thread, it says only to put down secondary school/sixth form, but when we were being taught how to write our CVs earlier this year, we got told to put our primary school as well... So, who's actually right then?
    In this thread, it says only to put down secondary school/sixth form, but when we were being taught how to write our CVs earlier this year, we got told to put our primary school as well... So, who's actually right then?

Maybe because thats the only previous school you had?

Employers arent interested in primary schools though.

I'll be honest. If I were interviewing for a job and I received a CV with a primary school on the first thing I'd do is laugh. Then I'd put it in the bin.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I'll be honest. If I were interviewing for a job and I received a CV with a primary school on the first thing I'd do is laugh. Then I'd put it in the bin.

Cheers...
    BumbleBee wrote:

Me too.

It's completely irrelevant, unless you went to some toff private establishment and want to impress. Even then, if you tried that with me, I'd bin it...
    yes you're hardly going to put down your SAT results are you!

and no, i wouldn't bother putting the AS's down that you carried onto A-level standard.