Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scotland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been to the British Council, but, amazingly, they've closed the department (the girl there insisted on that word, and repeated it over and over again even when she talked to my dad in serbian) that should cover my questions some time ago.

I heard that Scottish universities do not have tuition fees. Is this right?
How difficult would it be for a foreigner to get used to the scottish accent?
What are the prices of living in Scotland like? (this is an important thing) :)
Also, what universities are know to be among the better ones in Scotland?

Thanks in advance,
nmrmak
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From next year (2006 entry) students going to Scottish unis will pay variable fees -

(From Ed university webpage)
    From 2006-07 higher tuition fees will be charged for new students studying for a first degree at a Scottish university, although eligible Scottish students and non- UK EU students, studying full-time at an institution in Scotland, will continue to be entitled to have their tuition fees paid by the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

The level of tuition fee for 2006-07 has not yet been set, but in most cases is expected to be between £1,700 and £1,900 each year. Exceptions are listed below.

Further information about the new tuition fee arrangements in Scotland will be published on the University website and SAAS website as it becomes available.

You would need to check to see if you class as an eligible student to have your fees paid.

In some parts of Scotland the Scottish accent might make it harder for you to understand what is being said, but it varies massively and it would, I guess, be no more difficult to pick up than a thick Yorkshire or Brummy accent might be.

Prices - it depends where in Scotland.

As for the best unis, I guess it depends on what you would be studying.
    I thought about taking an electronics course or something related to that (maybe including computers and stuff).

Is Scotland an expensive country to live in?
    Thanks for the info so far.
    The best Scottish unis are St Andrews and Edinburgh. Glasgow and Aberdeen are very good too, I think Stirling and Dundee are pretty decent as well.

Prices in Scotland will vary. Edinburgh is quite expensive, cheaper than London but compared to the rest of the UK still quite pricey. But Edinburgh is a really nice place so it's worth it. St Andrews is very nice too and that's a bit more reasonable.
    Hmmm i lived in st andrews until i was 16 and im often there drinking and believe me when i say st andrews is not cheap in comparison to other places in fife and in Dundee itself.Example being it costs £2.20-£2.50 for a single drink in most bars in town.Having been drinking in st andrews and edinburgh i wouldnt say there is much of a difference in prices.House prices in both st andrews and edinburgh is VERY exspensive.Sky high...
    I went to Heriot Watt uni. Did me no harm. :o

Heriot watt's science degrees are pretty well respected around the world. But the campus itself is an absolute whore to get to. Halls are pretty cheap though. Edinburgh uni is dotted around the city centre. No idea how much their halls are.

Edinburgh itself can be an expensive town. Depends on what you want in terms of accommodation etc.

Don't really know about any other uni's.

I doubt the Edinburgh accent would worry you. It's the corruption of the english language you have to watch for. Ya bawbag.
    Hehe, thanks for the bawbag thingy. I wonder how many words i'll have to learn, lol.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    nmrmak wrote:
    Hehe, thanks for the bawbag thingy. I wonder how many words i'll have to learn, lol.

It won't be like learning a new language. Your command of English is good. But like any other place, there are regional dialects. You would have the same problem wherever you went in the UK.

Edinburgh is a wonderful, vibrant city to study in. You have 4 unis so thousands of students and during the summer you have the Festival going on.

The best thing to do is contact the university or SAAS direct and ask them if you are eligible for tuition fees or not. It does vary. You are only definitely exempt if you are a Scottish student. Most places in Scotland cost the same sort of price as everywhere else, apart from London and the home counties.

Also, the quality of Uni is dependent on the subject. For example, Edinburgh and St Andrews are good for the academic stuff, Heriot Watt is a good science institution and Napier is good for computing.

Your best bet is to find a course you like, at an institution you like the look of, and then maybe ask some questions to us or other people.
    does the no tuition fees count for non scots too then?
    There is a section about eligibility on the SAAS website.

Best thing to do would be to phone up or email the SAAS and have a chat. you might be eligible for grants depending on what course you want to do etc.

It's not that we don't pay fees, we just have our tuition paid for us.
    does the no tuition fees count for non scots too then?

English students going to Scottish unis will have to pay additional fees as from next year, to prevent a big load of people going to Scotland instead of staying in England.
    Glasgow is a good City to study in.. You have four universities within easy distance of the town centre. Glasgow, Strathclyde, Glasgow Caledonian :thumb: and Paisley. The city is a vibrant one, with a large foreign contingent.

Other UK cities are less costly, with Glasgow in 40th position and Birmingham in 47th place Moscow is the second most expensive city in Europe ranked in 4th position followed by Geneva in 6th place and Zurich in 7th place Other high-scoring cities include Copenhagen ranked 8th. Oslo, which has moved up from 15th to 10th place due mainly to the appreciation of the Norwegian Krone against the US dollar, and Milan ranked 11th
    Budapest in Hungary ranks in 24th position and is the costliest city of the countries that joined the EU last year. Warsaw, Prague and Bratislava have all risen by more than ten places.
    Bucharest in Romania is the least expensive European city in 103rd place followed by Limassol in Cyprus ranked 100th.

Example of [basic] monthly cost of living, single student and self catering:
    Accommodation £220
    Heating £25
    Food/Household Goods £130
    Local Transport £30
    Entertainment £65
    Telephone/Postage £25
    Loans ?
    Total Monthly Expenses £495+

As with anywhere, you will pick up the accent. Re: The tuition fees, I don't think you will be eligible for free tuition, but you better check with the SAAS.