Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A late craving for smoking.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I havn't had one cigarette for about two months. When I quit I just quit. Cold turkey. It wasn't that hard for me. I wanted one semi bad every once in a while for about a week but then it just didn't bother me. But now, I feel like I want one every day. I just want to go out and buy a pack and just have one. It s like I just need one cigarette. Now how long should I be expecting this? Will it ever go away or will that want be in the back of my mind forever.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's different for everyone. Some people find the first few weeks hard, whereas others - like you - can have more of a delayed reaction.

QUIT is a website that will help you with more ideas and info on staying off the fags.

Good luck

Oh, I'm going to move this to drugs where you might get more feedback>>>
    im trying to quit. its so god damn hard :(
    spanner wrote:
    It's different for everyone. Some people find the first few weeks hard, whereas others - like you - can have more of a delayed reaction.

QUIT is a website that will help you with more ideas and info on staying off the fags.

Good luck

Oh, I'm going to move this to drugs where you might get more feedback>>>

Oh I didn't realize that. I thought it was just hard at first. It was weird when I quit, I had one pack in my car that went stale before I could finish it then I just stopped buying cigarettes. I had no cravings at all. Until now! I havn't had any still, but the thought is always there. And it seems to be the thought of it that makes it stronger. If I get the chance to think of cigarettes, like when I"m bored at work and I see others smoking, thats when I want one.
    Sounds like me a few years ago. I mostly had control over the amount I smoked but over the last few years the addiction has taken over and it's extremely difficult even to cut down now. Trust me, if you give in to it it'll beat your willpower eventually. You dont want to reach that stage.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Something I didn't realise until recently is that nicotine has a mild anti-depressant effect, so that a delayed reaction to stopping cigarettes, like you describe, is common due to the chemical balance in your brain changing.

I found that focussing on the good feelings of giving up - not barking like a dog in the mornings, feeling fitter, better skin, not smelling of tobacco, no yellow fingers, more money etc, and focussing on why I stopped in the first place, really helped at that stage. A bit of determination doesn't go astray either, and it will go away before you know it. Hang in there...
    LadyJade wrote:
    Something I didn't realise until recently is that nicotine has a mild anti-depressant effect, so that a delayed reaction to stopping cigarettes, like you describe, is common due to the chemical balance in your brain changing...

Dopamine sure is a strong chemical.
    Absolutely.
    I'm just blood glad I gave up when I did, I hadn't smoked that long but it was still hard.

Good luck those wanting to quit.
    LadyJade wrote:
    and it will go away before you know it. Hang in there...

So one day I can look outside at some people smoking, maybe smell the smell of a cigarette, and just not care? Will the thought of feeling of just having one drag still be in the back of my mind years to come? Or will it be gone.
    The problem with quitting is that you never know if you have succeeded until your dead and know that you didn't smoke in all that time. You really need to change you mind set and instead of thinking you've quit ie. given something up try to think that you have stopped and have gained back your life. If you think to yourself that you have "stopped" smoking you know from that point onwards that you are a non smoker.

You are not physically addicted to cigarettes as that only takes a matter of days to irradicate itself from your body. The problem is your mental addiction. So if you lapse it is because you have been mentally weak. You are now a non smoker so why would you want a cigarette why would you want to make yourself feel so bad after doing so well. When I stopped smoking I used a book by Allan Carr and it was so easy so simple and it just changed my way of thinking about smoking. If you feel like your weakening maybe get that book and have a look at it, its not very very long and obviously doesn't work for everyone but it might help!
    my_name wrote:
    So one day I can look outside at some people smoking, maybe smell the smell of a cigarette, and just not care? Will the thought of feeling of just having one drag still be in the back of my mind years to come? Or will it be gone.

I find I smell a cigarette, when it is first sparked up, and think 'hmm, that smells nice', but now I can do it and not want to smoke one. Actually the thought of smoking one makes me feel slightly repulsed. I suppose I have reached the point, after 18 months, where I can understand the appeal of smoking but I don't want to do it any more.
    I still virtually always smoke when drunk but other times I really don’t like the smell, especially in the mornings
    How long did you smoke for before you quit bong?

It's a strange addiction, but a powerful one nonetheless.
    See... thats when I know I have hit a bad point with smoking...

about 5 years ago I started smoking just socially, in pubs, clubs... then I turned into a regular smoker...

Now I have to have a fag when I get up in the morning before I start getting ready for work... I dont even enjoy it, it just feels wrong if I dont...!!

I have a very adictive personallity, so giving up would be very very hard for me! At the moment though im not fussed about giving up... I have a stressful job, and its nice to have a fag break every now and then! Its just the money factor! When u smoke 20 a day its works out very pricy!
    I've been seeing how long I can go without since reading this yesterday. It's panic when I run out of cigs if I'm not expecting it, but knowing I'm trying to stop hasn't been so bad to go without. This morning was hard, I need one after breakfast with tea, but managed to avoid it. Now I'm thinking just 1 wont hurt, they're on my mind a lot!
    Uprising wrote:
    How long did you smoke for before you quit bong?

It's a strange addiction, but a powerful one nonetheless.

I only smoked for about 2 years doing about 1/2 a pack a day. Thats not real bad I dont think...
    Yea same here but with another year on top, iv cut down to about 7 a day except for when i go in pub or owt like that. im just gradually working my way off them so its not a big step.

After breakfast and on a night are the worst time for cravings imo.