Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Childcare

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There are so many pressures in working with children, especially other people's children. I work for a nursery that owns a chain of 4 others. All the owners care about is raking in the money and care of children is going down hill.

There isnt anough qualified staff to fit in staff ratios which puts pressure on student MA's like myself who need time off group to concentrate on finishing my course and becoming qualified.

I get payed £80 a week to do pretty much the same work as someone earning twice as much as me. I feel like a skivvy but know that all the experience leads to greater opportunities. I cant help feeling though that students are taken advantage of.

Are all nurseries like this? I feel so sorry for the children, staff r so stressed from pressure off of management tht instead of dealing with naughty children in a calm way we end up shouting at them. Parents seem to be very demanding too and i dont think they realise that at times we have 20 other children to look after as well as their own.

The problem with large nurseries is that its all about paper work and money than taking time to spend quality time with children and parents. We spend half the day updating paper work and handovers when really we could be spending the time having fun, getting messy and making lots of noise. Thats what i though child care was about

Squishter

XxX

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe you could be a childminder instead?
    That sounds like a shit nursery, and if i was paying through the nose for my child to be cared for while i wasnt there, and then found out you were shouting at them, and using the excuse that there are 20 other children there to look after, then id remove my child from the nursery pronto.
    I think you should ask your college about having a different placement.
    and no, my sons nursery isnt like that.
    At his nursery, they have one keyworker between 3 or 4 children. They dont shout at the children. The parents are welcome to stay as often or as long as they like.
    It honestly is a terrible place. The whole day is boring for adults and children. I've been in nurseries where they have key workers and plenty of good activities with plenty of staff. The fact is the owners of the company are too greedy and want more children and less staff so that they in turn are earning more money. It sickens me. I am hoping to go into pre-school rather than a nursery in the next few weeks, im looking for a job as we speak.