Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The University process for dummies - please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Having spent 3 years doing A levels...im now a 20 year old, living at home, with no idea what to do...
Im coming to the conclusion that i want to go to uni next year (thats september 2006 just for clarification) despite the fact that right up until i finnished college 3 months ago i was dead set on not going (education and me have only just figured out how to have a working relationship)...so i find myself with no support to help me apply, understand the process, the loans, the courses, the whole gig.
Should i go back to my college, cap in hand and talk to old tutors etc see if they'll help? Friends who've already gone off to uni are being a big help, so much so that i have a good idea of what course id like to do and where, but past that i dont understand a single thing about university.....
Organisations....websites that explain the whole game to you like your a stupid 8 year old....general "university for dummies" guides....anything

Help?

Thanks in advance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, well you need to go through UCAS http://www.ucas.ac.uk/

It'd probably be best to ask your tutors to help with personal statements and the reference.
    First pick a course you want to do - try the stamford test at www.ucas.com if you're not sure. Then choose a uni using league tables (check nation papers websites) and university websites. You'll need to apply through ucas, get help with your personal statement at www.studential.com and get your boss, or old tutor to write a reference. You'll find loan and fee info from the Dfes at http://www.dfes.gov.uk/studentsupport/students/.

That should give you a vauge idea, but talking things over with a tutor or someone involved in education will probably help a lot more.
    I'm 22 and applying to university for September 2006 entry too. The process isn't as hard as it all seems.

Send away for some prospectuses and have a look to see which courses you would be interested in doing. In the mean time register with UCAS (link has been posted by someone above) and fill in as much as you can of the form on your own. You'll need to go back to your tutor at college and ask for a reference from them though.
    Thanks people......feel a little less panicked.....step bys tep is goooood.hehe
    Thanks
    Thanks people......feel a little less panicked.....step bys tep is goooood.hehe
    Thanks

The whole process is a little strange, I agree. I think the best part of it is knowing that you'll find out straight away whether you've been accepted (given you already have your qualifications) so there's no 'conditional offer'. It means you can make solid plans. Good luck! :)