Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is this legal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i work in a care setting for children with additional needs and disabilities. One of our Children has become quite violent and aggressive such a slapping, hiting, biting, kicking and hair pulling our staff at the moment have not had training in restraining or self defence also i was told if you at risk of being biten you should have a hepitius b injections is this right i have spoke asked my doctors surgery and they said it will cost me £160 ! should i expect my employment to pay ?

Comments

• Options
    yes.
  • Options
    £160 for a jab??? i doubt it!! ive had all sorts of jabs, typhoid, yellow fever and never been anywhere near that amount!
  • Options
    yes. my mum is a cpn and she had her jab/s just the other day. and you should definatley have training in restraint.
  • Options
    The employer should have risk assessments in place which cover this and put in place adequate control measures, if they do not they are definately breaking the law and if you get something nasty you could very easily win a compensation payout.

However you dont want it getting to that so I suggest you ask nicely to see their risk assessments (which you can legally see), which they probably dont have, then express your concern over the cost and say you will expect them to pay it.
  • Options
    £160???

I got mine for free, but I was only 18. But it is only three items on a script - 3 x £6.50

20 QUID MAX!! Although most docs charge for the pleasure of just sticking a needle in you... :rollseyes: But it is not as though you are going on holiday..
  • Options
    160 quids a bit steep, you should get the company to fork out the cash or kicked the lad out of the group, he seems to be a danger to himself and others
  • Options
    and by the way you should report this matter to your boss and explain that if the little fuck bites, hit, kicks or slaps you that you will need give him a fucking battering as you havent been trained in the art of restraining the lad.
  • Options
    and by the way you should report this matter to your boss and explain that if the little fuck bites, hit, kicks or slaps you that you will need give him a fucking battering as you havent been trained in the art of restraining the lad.

You might want to put it in slightly more formal wording that this though.
  • Options
    Afraid it does cost £160 unless you are having it for employment within the NHS.I had to have the immunisation course before i started my nursing degree 4 years ago...and the nurse at my GP surgery asked for proof that i was starting the course otherwise i would have been charged!Steep but true unfortunately! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Afraid it does cost £160 unless you are having it for employment within the NHS.I had to have the immunisation course before i started my nursing degree 4 years ago...and the nurse at my GP surgery asked for proof that i was starting the course otherwise i would have been charged!Steep but true unfortunately! :crazyeyes

I just walked in said I was starting me nurse training and needed immunised, the treatment room nurse printed off the script got a doc to sign on the dotted line and voila.
  • Options
    i need my mumps injection topping up soon..or whatever they call it. does this mean i'll have to pay for it? :eek2:
  • Options
    I had that for free before I went Thailand. Who knew it was so expensive!!

Deffo have a chat with your manager though, he's liable for you getting injured through work related stuff, which includes being attacked by kids. He'd have to prove in a compensation case he'd taken measures to prevent injury / illness, which at the moment it doesn't appear he has done.
  • Options
    i believe that immunisation charges all depend on your particular doctor or nurse, i know at home i have to pay, yet in leeds it comes cheaper/free.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    I just walked in said I was starting me nurse training and needed immunised, the treatment room nurse printed off the script got a doc to sign on the dotted line and voila.

You were either a) very lucky or b) in the surgery before the new GP contract ;)

Perhaps the thread starter would like to have a conversation with their Health and Safety rep. I think the Act should cover this...