Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

England win The Ashes

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Such an awesome event requires its own thread. Well done England - you deserved it.

How does your humble pie taste Mr McGrath? Here
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never thought I'd say it but well done England, first time I've ever enjoyed watching cricket, both teams gave it their all and England prevailed so well done to them.
    Was most entertaining.
    not a fan of cricket, personally i deteste it after playing it at primary school - but it's about time we got it so yay :yippe:
    It's been so enjoyable! Even for a Spaniard! :D
    Loved it, fantastic series and a great result. Even better that a load of glory supporters have now got into cricket too - has to be good for the game if they stick around. A word for the Australians though, they played very well and Warne is simply awesome. Wonder how Kermit feels about the series... :chin: ;)
    woot!
    Why would I care about the series? My nation won. And lost. But shush.

Aaaaanyway.

In all honesty, I'm delighted for England. I think they played really well and deserved to win. They got lucky but after sixteen years of being thrashed I suppose they deserve a bit of luck.

What will be ignored is that England won the ashes by ten runs and two wickets. In the match the Aussies won England were thrashed out of sight. England should enjoy the win, but not get too carried away. They were the better side, but not by much.

I worry more for Australia now. Warne and McGrath are at the end, and the replacement bowlers aren't good enough. Lee is mediocre at best, and Kasprowicz and Gillespie are not world-class first attackers.
    Ahh Kermit, doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, England won :p The 2 wickets thing doesn't matter too much, 2 wickets, even tailend wickets are still 2 wickets. :p

Absolutely fantastic series, one of the best sporting events i've had the pleasure of viewing.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fantastic series. Best team wins by a mile.
    Kermit wrote:
    They got lucky but after sixteen years of being thrashed I suppose they deserve a bit of luck. England should enjoy the win, but not get too carried away. They were the better side, but not by much.

Luck??? Sheeeeesh! They simply outplayed Australia ... :) ... and have the potential to get much better! :)
    Kermit wrote:
    I worry more for Australia now. Warne and McGrath are at the end, and the replacement bowlers aren't good enough. Lee is mediocre at best, and Kasprowicz and Gillespie are not world-class first attackers.

I wouldn't worry. I cannot see Australia being out of contention for the Ashes as long as England were .... it's a great cricket playing country and every great team has to flop sometimes ....

I must say I actually got emotional about Shane Warne finishing his test career against England .... I've grown up watching him and he is awesome!
    Teagan wrote:
    I must say I actually got emotional about Shane Warne finishing his test career against England .... I've grown up watching him and he is awesome!

As much as I think he's a total bastard bowler I think he should have got man of the Ashes.
    Oh dear Kermit, do I sense a few sour grapes. Luck??? Your having a laugh, England outplayed Australia for the majority of the series and truly deserved to win the Ashes. The Aussie players even said after the game that they had being outplayed by England, they said that because it was true.

Well done England, now to the bookies to collect my winnings.
    The better team won, and England deserve all the praise they get. It's always amazing how good teams seem to have far more luck than not-so-good ones.

I'm just saying that it's not the whitewash the English media are trying to claim it is:)

I'm not sure why I'm arguing anyway. I was just being the token Aussie before;)
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm just saying that it's not the whitewash the English media are trying to claim it is:)QUOTE]
    I agree Kermit, it was too close to call in all but one test, and England were thrashed in that!!!

I think what we have seen over the last few weeks is a team who are on the up against a team who are slowly on the slide. In a years time England would wipe the floor with the Aussies, and vice versa if the series had been held twelve months ago.

England have a team that can dominate for years to come.

Wonder if Australia will take on an Englishman as their coach then???? ;)
    Bit harsh on Lee I think Kermit, thought he was pretty good myself, as was most of the Aussie bowling, it was their batting that really let them down, not one innings over 400, in 9 attempts and the top three runs totals all English and only 3 centuries compared to our 5........
    Looking on the ECB website I was surprised to see that we are off to Pakistan in October!

Didn't think we went until November/December but there you go

So not too long to wait until the next test series (on Sky sadly)
    Toadborg wrote:
    (on Sky sadly)
    :mad:
    Toadborg wrote:
    So not too long to wait until the next test series (on Sky sadly)

Fucking Murdock scum fuck git wank.
    Well it is not Murdochs fault really, can't blame Sky for wanting it and they were willing to put the money up.

The fault in my opinin lies with the ECB, fair enough they want the money to spend on promoting the game around the country but they will find it mroe difficult to get kids interested etc and to raise attendnaces if 2/3 of people can't see the England games.

Also it seems Channel 4 were a bit hesitant but as long as they put in a reasonable bid I think the ECB should've accepted it.......

I've watched some of this series down the pub but it isn't really something you can do for 5 days straight without putting yourself in hospital..........
    Sky from next year have got the home test matches too, AFAIK.

I thought they were protected under legislation passed by the Tories. Maybe Labour got Murdoch's blessing by removing it, I don't know.

Sky do the cricket much better. At least they don't interrupt it for the "3.45 give-a-dog-a-boner two-year filly chase hurdle stakes" at Uttoxeter.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well it is not Murdochs fault really, can't blame Sky for wanting it and they were willing to put the money up...

Yes it is Murdocks fault, most things are the evil shite.

Kermit, cricket has never enjoyed protection like the FA cup which has to be shown on ordinary TV because of its length.
    Cricket was 'delisted' as one of the untouchable events that had to be kept in terrestrial TV in 1996.

John Major has been (rightly) complaining about cricket moving to satellite television.

Shame then that he didn't think of this earlier, in particular back in 1996 when the sport got delisted- and he happened to be the Prime Minister at the time.
    Indeed.......

Well he seems to be at most of the games anyway I imagine he can probably afford Sky so I doubt he will be losing out too much......

Who makes that decision anyhow?
    It being on Sky isn't ideal, but at least they show it properly, and don't interrupt it with bloody horse racing.

I don't like Sky at all, but it is where sport should be. And they do show it properly.

The BBC should not be wasting a single penny of taxpayers' money on Premiershit football, rugby union or any other major sport.
    I disagree. Certain sports should indeed be 'untouchable' in the sense that they should be listed and protected, just as buildings and cultural heritage is.

3 out of 4 people in this country still can't afford (or otherwise don't have) Sky in their homes. They should have the right to watch certain sports without paying a fortune or having to go to a pub (even though that is quite a nice thing to do for many of us).

With regard to the relative good Sky has done to sport broadcasting and sport in general, well I have to disagree there as well. I don't care much for commercial breaks (especially 10-minute long ones at half time during football), silly flying logos with special effects on the screen, or player cameras and "fan zones" for that matter. Terrestrial television is perfectly capable of offering great broadcasting- Channel 4's showing of The Ashes has pissed over anything Sky has ever done with cricket.

The only argument for selling rights to the likes of Sky is the injection of extra money "the sport" gets. And then, for all the millions and millions of extra money Premiership football has got since it sold its soul to Sky, most fans would probably be of the opinion that things have gone worse not better as a result of it.
    Whenever I have seen Sky it hasn't been much good in my opinion.

There football shows are awful...........
    Toadborg wrote:
    There football shows are awful...........

Soccer Am is classic.

Their coverage of the actual game too is a massive improvement on what the BBC and ITV trot out...
    Aladdin wrote:
    Cricket was 'delisted' as one of the untouchable events that had to be kept in terrestrial TV in 1996.

At ECB's request, natch.
    btw, have I said Woot! at winning?
    I'd agree that Channel Four's coverage of the cricket has been top again, who can argue with the 'snick-o-meter'?!

And even if Sky's coverage is much better (which it isnt) many of us have deep ethical reasons for not going anywhere near Sky.

The Ashes should be listed again. I understand that the other Tests should probably go to Sky but I'm unhappy about it.