Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

student bank accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
sorry if something like this has been posted b4 couldnt see anything!

iam getting my loan paid into my regular account which i have had for several years! i went to my bank today to tryed and switch it to a student acount and they said i should go home and do it online! So i asked if they could send me a cheque book (as i dont have one) and need one in the next week to pay for my accomodation!

i have to pay accomodation by cheque because i need the clearing time for my loan to go into my account! if i pay by debit card my money wil come out straight away and i dont have enough money until my loan is put in!

i was told that it would only take a few days for a student account to be set up over the net and that i should revieve my chequebook in the next week! So i went home and filled in the form online, only to find out it would take a lot longer than my bank told me and i wont get a cheque book for over two weeks! which is no good because i will be goin to uni and need to pay my cheques in a weeks time!!!
any advice
hope that i explained myself alright!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ask a relative to raise a cheque and give them the cash when you recieve your loan?
    Or speak to the uni and explain to them and see if they'll allow you an extension period.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get a relative to do it then pay them back, I'm sure everyone done that.
    you can ask your bank to write you a cheque. although you may have to pay for that service. but they should do it for you. :)
    cheers otter ill look into that!
    If it's university accomodation you will not need to pay the rent immediately. Universities know that the first loan payment is a cheque, and set their invoice due dates accordingly.

I would also suggest that you shop around for your student bank account.
    yeah i have ive opened 3 accounts, and have chosen the one i find most reliable to put my loan into! i managed to sort the problem by going in to the bank the next day and causing a fuss!so they sorted me a chequebook and made my exising account a student one immediatly. (so much for the ten working days they told me over the phone) i suppose you gotta have a bit of front, tell thenm you wont stand being mucked about and u get results!
    I had my account converted at Barclays within a matter of minutes and a cheque book sent within days, which bank are you with?
    meggy wrote:
    yeah i have ive opened 3 accounts
    do you mean 3 student bank accounts? tbh although it might seem like a good idea now, most banks will expect you to deposit your entire student loan in the student account you've opened with them. and it might seem like a good idea now to have 3 different overdrafts... but once you've graduated, with 3 different banks... you'll have a hell of a time paying them back. if i was you, i'd just stick with 1 student account.
    i have opened the other accounts purly for the gifts. rail card ect. i have made sure there is no obligation to put loan or anyother money in them. i dont plan to use the overdraft until next year when i will need to pay my tuition fees with it because my accomodation covers the whole of my loan! this year my dad has covered it from savings but i have to fund it next year!
    You are not allowed to have more than one student account. Simple fact.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    You are not allowed to have more than one student account. Simple fact.
    True!
    ive never heard that before. i have 2. didnt bother with the third! when i opened the one im not using i asked if i actually had to use it and the only condition was it had to have some activity next june july or august. even if i only put a tenna in it.
    if u could shed any light on this would be appreciated
    meggy wrote:
    ive never heard that before. i have 2. didnt bother with the third! when i opened the one im not using i asked if i actually had to use it and the only condition was it had to have some activity next june july or august. even if i only put a tenna in it.
    if u could shed any light on this would be appreciated

what do you mean, shed any light?

they've just told you you're not allowed to have 2. simple as really.
    give some reason as to why?
    what can they do if u have more.
    why do you think when i opened my second account they had no problem that my loan wasnt goin in there?
    meggy wrote:
    give some reason as to why?
    what can they do if u have more.
    why do you think when i opened my second account they had no problem that my loan wasnt goin in there?

i have a student account with an overdraft and then a normal account i had first where my loan goes into. they'll presumably think it's something like that.
    oh ok. so it doesnt really matter? as long as i stick to the outline of my second account and use it in june july august then its ok?
    thanks
    meggy wrote:
    oh ok. so it doesnt really matter? as long as i stick to the outline of my second account and use it in june july august then its ok?
    thanks

i don't think i said it was ok, did i?
    Your bank will know more than me, but a condition for all student accounts is that you have your student loan go into them, and that the student account is exclusive to that bank.

Either your bank is an exception, your bank is wrong, or you don't have a student account.
    Kermit wrote:
    Your bank will know more than me, but a condition for all student accounts is that you have your student loan go into them.

mine doesn't though, and i've never had a problem with that.
    yeah i read somewhere that it is actually illegal to have more than one student account, that you could open the accounts with diff banks to get the free gifts but had to close it before opening another student one. i thinkthis was in one o fthe student pamphlet things.
    I think it is too, because student accounts do enjoy some taxation benefits.
    what sort of questions does a bank ask when you phone up to arrange a overdraft
    Bitty wrote:
    Give 'em a ring and find out...?
    Bitty wrote:

err..how much would you like it to be? then they either accept or decline it.