Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what does this mean?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is there a list of abbreviations (i think i saw it once)?
What does hons mean?
e.g. BEng (Hons) Engineering (Electrical/Electronic)
The first thing is Bachelor of Engineering, but what does Hons mean?

Come on, people i need help on this :)
Thanks in advance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    honours?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    honours?
    yer.
    hrm.. what does that mean?
    English isn't my first language, and i've never heard of the term before, can someone explain it a bit please?
    honours means the course includes a dissertation (big final year project)
    Oh, thanks, now I know what it is. I know what a dissertation is, but I didn't link the two together.
    Thanks for the help :)
    it varies from university to university - i didnt' do a dissertation but I'm still BA hons - I got it for passing all my courses and turning up for all my lectures - its a bit like saying not only is this person academically cleaver but they also stuck by the rules of the university. I'd never bother putting it down on my CV though cos my degree name is already stupidy long and i also don't tend to put loads of letters after my name.

you might also see people who have MA Cantab - this means they went to cambridge and got a BA and then paid £5 to get and MA without doing the extra year (cos its soo much harder to get a BA there).
    it means that 120 credits of your final year of study is at level 3.
    Blah wrote:
    honours means the course includes a dissertation (big final year project)

I don't think so, most degrees are honours but not all have dissertations, mine didn't..........
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't think so, most degrees are honours but not all have dissertations, mine didn't..........

well thats just what ive been told at college and uni...
    i've already said this but i'll try to make it simple:-
    basically:-
    you take a 120 credits for each year of full time study.
    you need 360 credits for a degree - usually divided up into levels 1 2 3. with a 120 credits at each level.
    level 3 of degree study is honours level. to graduate with an honours degree you need a 120 credits (1 full years worth of work) at level 3. - that is what honours means!
    if you don't manage that you get an ordinary degree rather than honours.
    most degree courses in england are honours courses, like BEng(hons), BSc(hons), BA(hons), BEd(hons), etc.
    Yeah, think Otter is right. We were told at our dissertation meeting that you don't need to do a dissertation to get honours, you still can get it without.
    on our course you needed 300 credits (at any level) to get an ordinary degree, and 360 to get honours.
    For my course it was the final 120 points being at level 3 or above that counted to make it honours.

Seems to be different depending on course and location though.
    I was told my BA would only be with honours if i did a full 30 credit dissertation.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    satehen wrote:
    I was told my BA would only be with honours if i did a full 30 credit dissertation.

Different unis require different things though. For Hons at my uni you had to get a certain number of credits too.
    little missy we had to get 360 i think as well as the dissertation. Phew glad thats all over!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    satehen wrote:
    little missy we had to get 360 i think as well as the dissertation. Phew glad thats all over!

I could never remember what we needed to get. I used to work it out from the number of courses we did each year. Hehe. I can't even remember how many credits we got for each course!

But yes, each institution will have different rules and what constitutes 10 credits in one will probably be something different in another.
    Thanks otter, that did explain everything.
    As I see things, the number of points do differ from uni to uni and from course to course, both to get a honours degree and an ordinary one. Still, that explained what honours is to me.

Thanks to all the people who answered!