Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

dont like new course

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys

I havent been on here in ages but I just wanted to tell some people some stuff. I started my new primary teaching course (1 year thing) last week and I just hate it :( I havent met anyone, I dont like the way the classes are taught. I just basically dont want to be here. I really swithered about doing it in the first place - its not like my dream or anything.

Thing is my mum is a teacher and really pushed for me to do it. She isnt talking to me much just now because i dont come home with wonderful stories about how great the course is - instead i just come home and cry. She would be seriously pissed if i dropped out and im not sure what else i would do if i did. Im having a totally shit day today and have completely taken it out on my boyfriend - who is not best pleased, for obvious reasons :( Everything just seems to be going wrong right now.

Do you think i should stick it out a bit longer and see what happens? I guess i just needed to tell someone impartial. Thanks for reading.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    one week is a very short time to hate ur coure but if ur having serious doubts now is the time to act.

i wanted 2 change my uni course early on and they told me to come back in a few weeks - when i did it was 2 late and i was stuck on it.

if u have an alternative plan this sept or the college ur with etc offers other courses then think it thru now as a backup and then if u need to change u can act quickly.

however if that is ur only option then i'd say stick it out. a year isnt that long and when u get used to it u'll find it so much easier. then you'll have the qualifications. that is, however, if u can possible stand it.

its hard that your mum is behind the teaching thing. if its not ur life dream then that can be a tricky situation. at the end of the day it is your life and you really do just have to live it for yourself because you only get one. even if it does annoy others, u can only be happy. :flirt:
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am starting my PGCE next week :D

The PGCE is hard going. And a week is nothing. My advice to you would be to wait until you have your first placement and then decide after that. Placement will either make you love it or hate it.

If you are seriously still unhappy after placement 1 you will have given it a good shot and then consider dropping out. Don't stay on a course because your mum expects you to.
    id give it a little longer than a week, its always hard in the beginning with so much to get used to. maybe once you've got talking to a few more people you'll settle in and start to enjoy it. however, if in a few weeks you're stil not enjoying it dont stay on the course just because of your mum. in the end you need to do what's best for you and im sure she'd understand. unless there's anything else you know you definitely want to do right now, i really would stick it out for a while.
    Where are you studying? I'm currently considering where to apply.
    Its your life, not your mums. She should want to see you happy in whatever you want to do, and not push you to do the things that she wants you to do.

If the course is making you so unhappy that you come home crying, then you should leave

But if your not 100% sure you want to leave, give it a little longer to make up your mind.
    i take it you've worked hard to get where you are. so don't give up, stick it out for a while longer and like littlemissy said, wait till you get settled into a placement. my ex just finished his pgce and has this week started teaching maths and ict to a bunch of 11-14 year olds!
    Thanks guys for listening to me and replying! I had a chat with someone (not from uni and totally impartial) last night and she was basically saying you have to do what makes you happy. I feel happier today because I know there is a way out. Is that weird? I sorta feel im counting the days til I just quit. This course just feels "wrong". I have worked really hard to get here in that ive already worked for 4 years to get one degree. I just feel i need some time out to do my own thing - something less academic. I dunno.

Oh, im at Aberdeen btw. Dont let me put you off, Ginner - everyone else seems to be enjoying it :p
    the best thing really is just to do whatever is right for you. knowing that making your decision has felt like a huge relief for you... i think says it all tbh. although i do think a week is a short time, i guess you can really get a feel for a place in that time, and its probably better than dropping out a few months into your course tbh too. :)
    Please drop the course! I've felt what you've wrote and I must say there's nothing worse than being stuck in a job you don't want to do. And lets face it, if you do drop the course, it's not the end of the world, there's so much out there available for you.
    Who are you doing this course for?

If it isn't for yourself, then you are wasting everyone's time and money by continuing.
    One week is hardly enough time to judge anything in my opinion, so I think you should stick at it a bit longer.
    I think it's quite clear from his post he doesn't want to be in the course and is only doing it because his mother wants him to. Not a good thing to be in imho.
    So last night I told my parents "I dont think i want to be at uni anymore" - it didnt go too well. Mum and I ended up shouting at each other and things ended in tears. Mum says I would have to get a job cos i "cant sit around the house all day" and she seemed pissed off that I didnt just not accept the place or i had made an effort to defer it. My slightly more level headed dad came to have a word later and said I need to have a "positive direction" not just a "negative" one. But i have no idea what i want to do, besides maybe something photographic but opportunities like that dont just come around everyday - its not like i can just look in paper and get a job as a photographer. I dont see why i should stick out something i dislike just because i have nothing else at the moment. I dont actually think ill be able to keep living with my parents if i drop out - mum would make so many snide remarks about what i am or am not doing etc. So yeah, things aint too good.

Thanks everyone for replying. Im going to do some (more) thinking over the weekend. Thanks

ps...im a girl :)
    hey draven, DO NOT GIVE UP, i know that this is a slightly different scenario but its similiar in terms of feelings. when i began A levels i felt like you, i felt that this was not for me. but i kept at it anc changing my course etc which made me realise taht i am a scientist. now doing math bio anc chem. i came home a literally cried when i came home and i have never felt like this ever. if i was you try and think of the worse case scenario and how to avoid it. what was you like at school and waht did you enjoy?
    If you're really serious about not liking the course - and I still think it's way too early - then maybe you could consider asking for a transfer onto a different course ?
    Well - its been 3 weeks now and nothing has changed. I sent a PRIVATE email to my advisor, who is suppost to provide me with "pastoral" care, which was forwarded to the head of school. I was then called for an "emergency" meeting yesterday in her office. She just rabbited on, not letting me get a word in edgeways. She gave me a massive guilt trip and threatened that if i leave i will "never" get back in and "never be accepted" again. The fact that I was almost in tears meant nothing to her. She then drafted in this woman, who is supposedly a family friend (my mum only talks to her if she bumps into her in john lewis or whatever) to try and talk me round. So they were both staring at me, making me feel shit. I said I would like to build up my photography portfolio and they looked at me as though I had crawled out from under a rock. They kept wittering on about how i scored really highly/was one of the top scorers in terms of getting into the course and I just think if im *that* cut out to be a teacher then it will happen at some point - just not just now.

Im naturally a hard working, dedicated person when it comes to study but i have zero motivation for this course. I dont want to do the activities and I dont want to be here. Im handing in an application for another course today - see how that goes.

Thanks for your replies :)
    keep at it DRaven, things will begint o look up. so what have you decided to do then. oh how did you finr A-level etc?