Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Accommodation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi ... sorry if something like this has been written before, but i just had a look at my accommodation offer and it comes to nearly £4000 just for the first year :shocking: :shocking: .

Is that right? :s ....I think that must be nearly all of my student loan heh ..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    More than your student loan.

What exactly have they said? Where are you going to uni? What is your room like?
    my accomadation comes to more than my student loan! it sucks!
    dont really no wat to do about that! overdrafts i guess! but im catered on week days! so i wont have to spend out too much on food!
    yeah i spoke to a few friends and theirs was pretty much the same =/

Think i ll have to go into the overdraft aswell meggy :p.

oh and @ Fiend - It's a single self catered en-suite, in kent ...pretty much all that i know atm!
    what about tuition fees, do you have to pay them?
    My accomodation is self-catered and almost £3000.
    The catered ones were £500-1000, and even more when it's an en-suite, so I don't find it surprising.
    That said I almost got a shock when I saw the prices the first time. Have gotten used to it :p

Is it cheaper when people live together in houses and flats the second and third year?
    i have to pay tuition fees of £1700 as well out of my loan. :eek: :eek: :eek: so that overdraft will be well needed! lol
    muse- wrote:
    yeah i spoke to a few friends and theirs was pretty much the same =/

Think i ll have to go into the overdraft aswell meggy :p.

oh and @ Fiend - It's a single self catered en-suite, in kent ...pretty much all that i know atm!
    There's your answer petal, you ask for en suite, you pay for en suite.
    In Manchester catered halls usually come up to £4000 especially if ensuite.

Mine was about 3300 self catered - I really found it quite hard to survive on my remaining loan for a full year, it's quite amazing how low the loan is in perspective. I'd recommend getting a part time job and trying to live off that, and your overdraft.

I wouldn't worry most people are in a similar situation if you're going to University in a large city. Somehow, you usually seem to manage.
    My accomodation is costing about £3600, self catered and is ensuite.

All the halls at my uni are the same though, except one which has flat layout so is a bit cheaper. By about £20 a week.

Student loans are just silly, I mean really, most peoples doesn't cover both their accomodation and tuition fees let alone living costs. I know mine is certainly £700 short.
    Yes I know, get a job, borrow from parents, overdraft. But what if you can't? You're just really screwed.
    meggy wrote:
    i have to pay tuition fees of £1700 as well out of my loan. :eek: :eek: :eek: so that overdraft will be well needed! lol

your tuition fees are £1700 for a year?
    :( sorry!was supposed to be 1170 but still it sucks
    meggy wrote:
    :( sorry!was supposed to be 1170 but still it sucks

aye well it's getting worse after this year! and you can pay in installments.
    yeah. you should be able to pay in instalments. i have to pay for my accomodation for uni for a full 52 weeks of the year. thing is you are paying for an ensuite as well... better than sharing with people i admit but when you are on a budget, i think its an unneceessary luxury and your money would be better spent on other things tbh. i know with some universities, an ensuite can cost you upto an additional £20. per week. i mean, its nearly impossible to fund uni soely on your loan and overdraft... you'll need to be looking around for work asap... unless you have some rich parents who can help you pay your way through...... :p
    and it would be a fair bit cheaper if you weren't catered...
    that sounds awful expensive! im staying in self catered en suite halls and the bill comes to just over £2000.. where im from the govenment pays for my tuition fees so the accomodation is really all i have to worry about!
    Mine's £2700 for a single self catered room for 42 weeks.
    bad seed wrote:
    It tends to be, but electricity and gas (and water, depending on how kind the landlord is) can add up.

Whats the deal with paying water? I didn't have to pay it last year but I do in my new house this year I do :( Do some landlords pay for it?
    I had to pay water when I was in my old student house, I didn't when I was in halls, and I do again this year. We had water rates this time, too, so we just had a big fork out at the beginning of the year and wont have to pay it again.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Mine is just short of 3k at Huddersfield. No en-suite and self catered. But they let you pay in installments!