Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TV License

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've got a savings account which I am using to pay for my TV lincense when I move to uni. I need to take the money out of my account and put it in my dads as I need his card to pay for it. how much will I need to take out my account?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    YOu can pay for a TV License in full in cash at any Post Office. That will be the best way of doing it.

A TV License is £126 for a colour TV, significantly less for black and white.

Bear in mind that you need a TV License for any room in halls, or rooms which are let subject to separate tenancy agreements.

Personally I would suggest not getting a TV License, and only taking a TV to watch DVDs and videos. You don't need a license if you don't receive a signal. You won't need a TV at university.
    noone in my halls used to pay TV licence, never got inspected once either, and i presume the owners would inform us if there was a inspection. didnt watch much tv tbh anyway
    I don't think they could warn you in advance about an inspection. There wouldn't be much point if you knew they were coming.
    Ladon J wrote:
    I don't think they could warn you in advance about an inspection. There wouldn't be much point if you knew they were coming.

But they aren't allowed to enter your property without a warrant.

The problem with halls is that the cleaners are under orders to make sure you don't have a TV. I used to get loads of snotty letters because I didn't have a license which said exactly what they wanted- I wasn't going to pay to return the correct room to them though.

I hate the TV License and I hate the BBC.
    Also, if you're going into halls you can pay quarterly - that way you can stop paying in the summer when you move back home
    Meryn wrote:
    Also, if you're going into halls you can pay quarterly - that way you can stop paying in the summer when you move back home

You can pay in one go and claim the unusued quarter back, but you need to time it right.

You can only claim back a full unused quarter. Thieves.
    or take a pocket tv... you don't need a licence for one of them.
    or stick a tv card into your computer so noone will see it as a tv.
    thing is, halls are hardly ever checked by tv licencing people anyway...
    not that i'm advising you to break the law, of course. :angel:
    Hehe, this reminds me of an incident during the few months I lived in halls. A friend came to visit me who had just been to an interview, so he looked rather smart. My flat suddenly became the most deserted place on earth. Turns out they were all in their rooms trying to fit their TVs in their wardrobes, having mistaken my friend for a TV licence inspector. :lol:
    we got an inspection last year. but the building staff refused to allow them entrance to the building unless they had a warrant. one porter kept them busy while the other one phoned all the floor reps to warn them that we were about to be inspected!
    All TVs now require a TV liscence according to new laws released just a few days ago (The law was put into practice because you can now have TV broadcasted to mobile phones). My advice is to buy a TV liscence. I have a friend who had to pay a £1000 fine, she couldn't afford Uni so she had to start working which drained her for lectures and she failed - twice!!

There is a hole in the law that states that you don't need one if you don't have an aerial. So if you can just get a dvd player and not an aeriel you may want to try that but TV inspectors arent stupid and its not fun hiding in your room with the light off every night for a week!!
    Cristal wrote:
    All TVs now require a TV liscence according to new laws released just a few days ago (The law was put into practice because you can now have TV broadcasted to mobile phones).

Have you got a source for this? I can't find any other info about it.
    So if you have 2 TVs you have to pay for a seperate license for both?

Also, what will become of the TV license when the switchover to digital occurs? Will it decrease/increase?
    Only oncve license is required per household. Therefore if you do have a mobile TV it will be covered by the license in your home. Unfortunately this doesnt cover Uni Halls were each person must have there own license, but its worth checking in case the Uni pays for ones that may be communal such as in a common room.

All About TV licensing
    Ok I only know about this cos I did much of my degree on this. The licence is mainly used to fund Public Service Broadcasting on UK television. Therefore the BBC benefits most from the license as this funds there whole network. Controvesially this means that other people round the world watching BBC NEWS 24 are having there viewing paid for by the British Public. The Licence is reviewed every ten years to see if the British public would prefer to optioanlly pay this fee- in a subscription system. The reason the BBC doesnt get its revenue from advertising is because of its Remit. When the BBC first begun they wanted to make a channel that all people would benefit from without any bias. If you introduce adverts you introduce incentives like money and your programming becomes based on the ratings advertisers want which means popular programming like entertainment can take the place of educational programs. his is also why there never seems to be anything on TV because by law there must be a variety of programming so not all the BBC's programs can be made in the UK and not all of them are allowed to be 100% entertainment.

For the opportunity to be educated by the BBC you pay the fee. It also covers things like the wages of the TV License officers and the cost to print and distribute notices about having a licence. In comparison Americans do not have this charge.

Do you think thats unfair?
    TinyTitch wrote:
    we got an inspection last year. but the building staff refused to allow them entrance to the building unless they had a warrant. one porter kept them busy while the other one phoned all the floor reps to warn them that we were about to be inspected!

they did the same for us in halls. they would ring the flat fones in the block until someone answered and instruct them to go to the front door and ring the door bells and when people answered (it was an intercom system) to tell them that tv lisencing were here.

when i lived in private rent last year we just hid when the tv lisence guy came round. a few people i know opened their doors and they signed up for a lisence there and then and missed out on the fine.
    The whole TV Licensing law is stupid.

If you`re a student that goes home on holidays you`ll be watching your parents TV for 1 month at Xmas, 1 month at Easter and 4 months in the summer.

When we moved from home into halls it`s not like we bought a brand new TV, I just took the very same TV I`d been watching at home with me, don`t see why you need a new licence to watch the same set in a different location.

Plus the BBC is rubbish these days, all their best talent is either dead, dying or on their way there .. :thumb:
    I paid mine, because I know if I didn't by sod's law I would get caught.
    Don't pay it then. If you're in halls, what are they gonna do? By the time they've sent the obligatory 3 warning letters, you'll have moved out.
    i got my tv license, but i have freeview as well so im not just payin for the five channels, im the only one in my flat with one though