Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Basically i will be starting uni in around 2-3 weeks time, I currently have a job which i pretty much enjoy but isnt very flexable with hours, Being 20 hours / week minimum in either 5 hour or 10 hour shifts.

Those who have 'been there, done that...' what would you say is the best idea:

* Stay in my current job and try and ballance work vs uni vs social
or
* Finish current job, and find a more flexible one through uni job listings / jobs in and around the uni?

Thanks for any tips :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the job isn't that flexible, I would maybe keep it but look for another one at the same time and then get rid of your current one when you find another. You don't want to be restricted to when you have to work if you have exams and stuff coming up. Uni's usually have quite a few jobs within the union and these will be completely flexible so it would be ideal when you have other things going on. :)
    id start looking for a new job now+hopefully you'll find one soon! supermarkets are normally very flexible if they know you're at uni+should transfere you between stores when it isnt term time and you're living at home, not on campus!
    I work part time whilst at University at Mc'Donalds. They are the most flexible company I know when it comes to hours. I choose the amount of hours I want and choose when I want to work.

<rant>
    I worked for McCunts once.... Never again :sour: Worst Job imaginable, but hey if you like 12 hour shifts and slave driver managers :thumb: </rant> :banghead:

And with supermarkets, sounds ok... might drop a cv into the local places over the next few days ahead of most other students (or is this what everyone does :confused: )
    stay in the job you've got now till you find something better?
    What job do you do now, and what hours are they?

Universities have weekends and Wednesday afternoons free, so you can get around rigid working hours if there's some degree of negotiation with your employer.

Personally I'd stick at your current job, but don't work more than 15-20 hours a week otherwise your studies will seriously suffer.
    I'm hoping for a Saturday job in uni, just not bloody bar work. I want evenings free because I study best in the evening.