Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Organ donation

I have put this in Anything Goes as well, but I figured some of you dont go up there.

The organ donor people are asking people to sign up to their computer database thingy and help if the worst should happen. Its really quick.

https://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/Consent.do
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've carried a card for years, but have just registered online as well.

It's good that they're promoting this but it doesn't go far enough IMO. There should be an opt-out system, not an opt-in.

And incidentally, you could even suggest that those who opt out forfeit their right to receive a transplant should they ever need one. It's only fair.
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's good that they're promoting this but it doesn't go far enough IMO. There should be an opt-out system, not an opt-in.

And incidentally, you could even suggest that those who opt out forfeit their right to receive a transplant should they ever need one. It's only fair.

An opt-out option is a good one, but I wouldn't then bar people from having organs.
    Good on your for bringing this up Bongbudda. As I stated in the other thread I've just signed up if the worst happens.
    bongbudda wrote:
    An opt-out option is a good one, but I wouldn't then bar people from having organs.

I may be well of the mark but don't certain religions not allow blood tranfusions let alone the harvesting or recieving of orgrans?
    I don't think there should be an opt-out system, it is up to people to choose what they want to do. I don't like the idea of doctors being able to carve up someone's remains without their express permission.

I don't think the system should be voluntary, though. As it is, families can still veto your donation even if you have demanded that your body is donated. Registering for organ donation should be binding on your family and next of kin, and you should be able to register at any age.
    I may be well of the mark but don't certain religions not allow blood tranfusions let alone the harvesting or recieving of orgrans?

Yes, there are some, one based on the Bible where it says 'do not take blood' but any normal Christian will tell you that meant at the time (long ago) that drinking the blood of an animal was probably not a wise idea.
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't think there should be an opt-out system, it is up to people to choose what they want to do. I don't like the idea of doctors being able to carve up someone's remains without their express permission.
    But with an opt-out system everyone would have the right to deny use of their organs. All they have to do is opt out, and no doctor would touch them.

The problem with the actual system is that a great many people agree with the idea of donating but never get round to register. As a result thousands of people die needless deaths or spend horrible years of suffering plugged to a machine. We must do everything in our hand to encourage organ donation.
    Aladdin wrote:
    I've carried a card for years, but have just registered online as well.

Nice from someone seemingly so opposed to the death penalty.............
    Aladdin wrote:
    But with an opt-out system everyone would have the right to deny use of their organs. All they have to do is opt out, and no doctor would touch them.

If a person's body is to be carved up, permission needs to be expressly given. The human body, even dead, is too sacrosanct to carve up unless that person wants to be carved up. Implied permission simply isn't good enough.
    The problem with the actual system is that a great many people agree with the idea of donating but never get round to register. As a result thousands of people die needless deaths or spend horrible years of suffering plugged to a machine. We must do everything in our hand to encourage organ donation.

I quite agree, people need to be persuaded to donate their organs.

A register should be binding on the deceased's next of kin, rather than the situation we have now where the family can block a donation even if the dead person wanted it.

The needless deaths are avoidable, although transplantation is not a panacea, it merely prolongs life. A heart will last ten years in most cases.

An opt-out system is not the way to do it. I find the idea of carving up people without express permission to be rather immoral.
    Who says the deaths are needless?

[ethical debate]
    Kermit wrote:
    A register should be binding on the deceased's next of kin, rather than the situation we have now where the family can block a donation even if the dead person wanted it.

I find the thought of that disturbing. I, myself have expressed to my family that I would like my organs to be donated if I died. I have signed up to the Organ Donantion register and also carry around a card. When I've spoken to my mum about it she said she wouldn't let them have my organs. But it is what I would want. This is what kinda annoys me that even with my permission it goes to the next of kin.

Problem is when next of kin are asked about donation it is normally in the time of grief, where alot of people would deter from the idea of their love ones actually being gone. By letting the organs go its a hit down to reality, another step in saying that person has died. The longer its left the more likely the next of kin are in donating the organs, but time isn't an option.
    I can see the reason for giving parents of under 16's permission to veto the choice to give organs, but over that age I dont agree with it.
    I signed up ages ago... I don't think theres any point in keeping something you won't need any longer, which could save another's life.
    Yeah like you could ban someone who smokes, drinks excessively or takes drugs. I have no problem with organ donation and am registered but would object to being told I HAD TO DONATE especially when there are so many people abusing their own bodies.

I'd object to a rapist, murderor or paedophile getting any part of my body but someone who either felt they could not donate for religious reasons (mormons?) or due to a belief that the body should be burried whole (I have spoken to people who would have to have certain parts taken but other parts they would gladly donate)

In a PC world surely an opt-out scheme would be against human rights :rolleyes:
    is it true or a myth that if you have a card and get your self into a critical condition, they are less likely to want to help you because their desperate for the organs!
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    In a PC world surely an opt-out scheme would be against human rights :rolleyes:
    You seem to be mixing up human rights legislation with so-called political correctness. Again.
    billybob87 wrote:
    is it true or a myth that if you have a card and get your self into a critical condition, they are less likely to want to help you because their desperate for the organs!

Thats rubbish, the team who are saving you arent just going to let you die because they like the look of your kidney.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up for me :rolleyes: