Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Greatest economy in the World

It is interesting to compare the money being spent on Iraq and other ventures by the US government with their poverty figures.

The number of people living in poverty has risen 12.7% and now 37 million people in the US live in poverty, which is by my calculation about 12% of the whole population isnt it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4198668.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    13.2% of the total population actually.
    13.2% of the total population actually.

Smart arse.
    Excuse me?? You asked a question, it was answered. If that bothers you, don't ask.
    Excuse me?? You asked a question, it was answered. If that bothers you, don't ask.

I guess I was just expecting maybe a little more than a statistical correction, tis your 'home land' after all isnt it.
    Yes it is, but what more can I say than what Ive said in numerous threads since 2002 about the wholly corporate owned, corporate serving criminal enterprise into which the US government has long evolved?

Your question was of a statistical nature, thus was my answer.
    Yes it is, but what more can I say than what Ive said in numerous threads since 2002 about the wholly corporate owned, corporate serving criminal enterprise into which the US government has long evolved?

Your question was of a statistical nature, thus was my answer.

Yes, I suppose my question was, though that was more meant to be retorical and the main point to be that there has been another increase in poverty even though the US is getting richer and richer.
    "The US" isnt getting richer and richer. Such simplistic rhetorical claims are nothing more than non-specific PR meant to propagate the illusory "brand America" image.

Certain select elites and elite interests are getting richer, as they long have. The average citizen however is bearing an ever increasing burden of the wanton extortion fuelling that further enrichment.

Also remember that, as has been pointed out already, much of the nationalistic self aggrandisement is built on a tenuous global central banking system of debt and dollar hegemony. As soon as the EU and China stop sucking on that teet, find the balls to tell Washington where to stick it and pursue a global Euro policy, that house of cards will come crashing down in short order.
    Also remember that, as has been pointed out already, much of the nationalistic self aggrandisement is built on a tenuous global central banking system of debt and dollar hegemony. As soon as the EU and China stop sucking on that teet, find the balls to tell Washington where to stick it and pursue a global Euro policy, that house of cards will come crashing down in short order.

Agreed. The worrying thing is what they will then do to get it back.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    What is more of a shame is that alot of the men who have fought in Iraq heroically for their nation will return home and end up in poverty.

Bloody disgrace. US has always had a poverty problem though. It looks unlikley that it wil be fixed, either.
    No US/Coalition soldier in Iraq has fought or is fighting for "the nation". For the agenda of the PNAC cabal and grasping corporate hegemonic interests, yes. For the furtherance of geo-strategic MIC positioning, yes again. For anything remotely heroic. Not a chance.

They will by and large return to impverishment, although the vast bulk were drawn from that segment of society to begin with.
    Ok, ok, I know that the war in Iraq is bullshit... but you gave your life to fight it, it is your duty if in the armed forces...

So they could at least repay you when you get back?
    They dont even acknowledge the tens of thousands lying in hospitals permanently disabled from their time there. The US military machine and the politicians who promote its aggressivistic application for the extension of empire and greed care only about a warm body so long as it can follow orders and pull a trigger.

Edited to add: Do you really think that an administration comprised of the biggest collection of chicken hawks - who played their elite privilege card to avoid serving in Vietnam - gives a rat's ass about the soldiers they send to fight and die to secure their interests? Please... :rolleyes:
    "The US" isnt getting richer and richer. Such simplistic rhetorical claims are nothing more than non-specific PR meant to propagate the illusory "brand America" image.

I meant there is more and more money washing about in the country, but then those at the bottom are normaly ignored.
    I highly doubt much if any is "washing about" in the country. Changing hands at the level of multinational corporations and their banking/political cohorts sure, but that holds true throughout the global arena.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I meant there is more and more money washing about in the country, but then those at the bottom are normaly ignored.

There is alot of the currency leaves the country and never returns, like Russia using the Dollar pretty much as its main currrency. There are loads of notes out there getting used. If it all returned home, it is thought the value of the dollar would plummet. As it comes home, the value drops.

The "More Money" is a bit of an illusion. It is also getting worth less and less, not the value of the dollar falling. Your £5 isn't worth what it used to be.
    There is alot of the currency leaves the country and never returns, like Russia using the Dollar pretty much as its main currrency. There are loads of notes out there getting used. If it all returned home, it is thought the value of the dollar would plummet. As it comes home, the value drops.

Which is the problem the US government faces with oil producers switching to the euro. Once they switch, everyone else will follow. All those dollars would be sent back home, with one of two consequences.

1) The dollar becomes the worthless paper it really is and inflation sinks the country.

2) The americans bite the bullet and refuse to honour theit debts, declare war or put up the diplomatic curtain.

Neither is good for obvious reasons. I am putting money (not dollars, natch) on no.2.

Of course their is always

3) Admit the fraud, apologise and make amends in whatever way they can, both to their own people and those of other "nations".

The fact that this is so unlikely gives you a clue as to why "government" is the most evil thing in existence.
    Why would they switch to a currency that is tied to some of the most sclerotic economies in the world?
    Why would they switch to a currency that is tied to some of the most sclerotic economies in the world?

Because it's actually still representative money to a large extent. Good word by the way. It also means hard, so why would they swap from a soft fiat currency to a hard one that retains it's value? hmmm pretty obvious to me.....

Also because it's the only brake anyone has on american imperialism. Unlike yourself, lots and lots of people fear and distrust the "US" and are glad to have anything they can use to keep them off their shores. Being bombed and robbed tends to do that to people.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    What is more of a shame is that alot of the men who have fought in Iraq heroically for their nation will return home and end up in poverty.

Bloody disgrace. US has always had a poverty problem though. It looks unlikley that it wil be fixed, either.

One good thing about the states, is that they honour there men in uniform, unlike here.
    I'd rather they didn't honour me so much (and then they don't, look at the shit treatment countless Vietnam veterans got for their troubles) if it meant they weren't so ready to send me to my death for no good reason whatsoever.
    Boozy wrote:
    One good thing about the states, is that they honour there men in uniform, unlike here.

Like the skint, homelss Vietnam veterans dieing on the streets. They honour who whilst you are fighting and winning. Otherwise you can fuck off and die, in their eyes.
    Obviously J, you can't tell the difference between reproval and whinging. Besides, I see no reference in my exchange with bb that concerns you.

Al, one need not go back as far as Vietnam to see the hollow regard Washington has for its MIC fodder. Tens of thousands of continually ignored personnel are presently lining hospital beds with permanent disabilities thanks to the latest act of illegal aggression for profit and control.

A shame they believed in the false promise of bogus "patriotism".
    Yeah but they play nice music at your funeral and give your grieving parents a pat in the shoulder and a neatly-folded flag as a memento. I'd happily put life at the disposal of the oil corporations and the PNAC headquarters for such honourable treatment ;)

P.S. Shame though that George W. Bush hasn't found time yet to attend the funeral of a single soldier killed in Iraq and do some honouring of his own...
    hats cos you're a douch beag/

US FREE MSRKET CAPISTLISM RULEZ.
    Boozy wrote:
    if your not on drugs you should be!
    Someone had a few drinks tonight? ;)
    Y Drinks
    I would be interested to see the definition of poverty they are using.

I assume that it is relative poverty, not absolute and if so it is no surprise that poverty increases when growth is high......
    Toadborg wrote:
    I would be interested to see the definition of poverty they are using.

I assume that it is relative poverty, not absolute and if so it is no surprise that poverty increases when growth is high......
    well more and more soup kitchens are opening up across the states ...they queue for food in cars.
    you can't eat tyres.