Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ken Clarke throws his hat into the ring

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4199540.stm

Good news for the Tories if he was elected leader (and bad news for New Labour).

And now that he has done a u-turn on the euro, presumably the tories should have no further complaints. He's certainly far more likeable (as Tories go anyway), moderate and seemly intelligent than David Davis, Tim Yeo, or the ghastly and nasty Liam Fox.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If I had to choose Id choose Malcolm Rifkind
  • Options
    Clarke would be a good choice for the Tories as he’d have the best chance of actually winning an election, I don’t think Rifkind would be bad either. Fox would be a disaster and Davis seems pretty useless too.
  • Options
    He electable, that's a worry given the policies which would come with him...
  • Options
    I don't vote tory but I still recon he is the best choice for them - I think its quite funny that all the old conservative ladies think that hes too old to appeal to younger people but all the younger people think that hes what a leader should be and are far more likely to vote for him than the other weird icky people they keep on putting up as leader.
  • Options
    Well that has been the main problem for the Tories since they lost the election isn't it? They think their leader and their policies have to meet with the approval of the Tory faithful and the conservative association members up and down the country. But it is the general public they have to engage with. And the general public does not care much for their incredible obsession with Europe and immigration, as 3 election bashings have proven.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And now that he has done a u-turn on the euro, presumably the tories should have no further complaints. He's certainly far more likeable (as Tories go anyway), moderate and seemly intelligent than David Davis, Tim Yeo, or the ghastly and nasty Liam Fox.

He has not done a U-turn, why do people keep saying that?

He has said the Euro was a good idea because it was supposed to bring better movement of monies and people, but it hasnt.

That it was supposed to enliven the EU zone economies but it hasnt.

And because of that he (although still believing its good in principle) doesnt want us to join any time soon.

Thats not a U-turn at all, its just a re-evaluation based on the current situation. Why is it every time someone in politics thinks again they are branded as 'flip flopping' or making a U-turn?

Anyway, I sort of like the bloke, in that he seems a bit more down to earth, and he's not like Blair.

But he is quite right leaning economically which I cant always agree with but he seems not to be so much of a facist like Davis.
  • Options
    Hes too old.

Cameron is the man we need.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see if he is successful this time, mind you I'm not going to complain if a Tory government never gains power again. ;)
  • Options
    Too old and too wedded in a sixties mentality that even Labour have dropped. Trouble is Cameron is too young and too Etonian for the voters, Liam Fox (actually a very nice chap) is seen as dislikable and David Davis is seen as too right wing. Rifkind is seen as part of the old guard (even though he's not much older than Davis).

The Tories are basically fucked over leaders at the mo - they should bite the bullet and ask Tony Blair once he's finished with the Labour Party whether he wants to defect back to the Tories to lead them
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    He electable, that's a worry given the policies which would come with him...

Yeah. That man is not a nice man. Wave bye bye to the Britain we love if he gets in.

Then again, with the record of how long the last few Tory leaders have lasted... :lol:
  • Options
    I hope he wins the race, tbh. The country needs a stronger opposition and I personally don't think the other hopefuls can provide that. As for age, I can't see that being a problem, he certainly looks healthier than Michael Foot did when he was Labour leader!