Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol and the liver

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As a student, I've been a very heavy drinker since approximately the age of 17. I've been known to drink 70+ units in a week, sadly.

I'm now starting to worry about what I may have done to my body, and that liver damage is silent until it gets very serious. I'm now 20, and although I'm still young, do you think it's possible I've damaged myself? I heard recently the story of a girl aged 20 who started drinking at 12 and was the youngest person to receive a liver transplant through alcoholic liver damage.

Although cutting alcohol out altogether isn't my aim, I have started producing a "drinking diary" to try and remain within my 21-28 units per week.

Do you think I may need a liver function test?

I'm not an alcoholic, I just find it quite difficult to say no to nights out, and I often drink out of boredom.

***Edited because of a mis-spelling that put my post out of context.

Comments

• Options
    No you don't need it, you need to be a proper alcoholic for like 20 years to do any serious damage to your liver, however you're not doing it any favours now and you might have to re-consider your drinking habits. Though you're a student, so go mad :thumb:
  • Options
    Have anyone been watching the Donation series on the BBC - there was a youngish guy who had to get a liver translplant after drinking heavily for 5 years after the death of his parents.

At least you recognise that your drinking to excess...cutting alcohol completely is pointless as you will never stick it out. Keeping within the 28 units* for men and 21 for women per week will ensure that your body can cope and not be damaged as a result. And all the evidence says that moderate amount of alcohol is actually good for you. Although saving it up for the weekend is not really that good an idea, but we all do it. ;) I wouldn't say you were an alcoholic, you dont depend on alcohol do you?

*BTW for everyones info, a unit is a standard glass of wine, half a pint of regular beer, and a standard shot of spirits and shockingly HALF a bottle of alcopop!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    *BTW for everyones info, a unit is a standard glass of wine, half a pint of regular beer, and a standard shot of spirits and shockingly HALF a bottle of alcopop!

hmm "counts the units I do every friday night*... :shocking:
  • Options
    No I don't depend on it at all, and I went three weeks without because I felt so guilty about over-indulging.

However, once I get going I find it hard to know when to stop. LOL. But I think most people are like that, once they get beyond the point of caring about the consequences.

I think recognising it is good, and I always have a vitamin C drink the morning after, to help my immune system!

I find it comforting by the news that it generally takes 20 years to do significant damage, but I think it does vary between individuals. Some people seem to have weaker livers and need their transplants early ;-)!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    hmm "counts the units I do every friday night*... :shocking:

I know it is a scary thought..!!

Last saturday night I had...*tries to remember*

30 units. Comprising of, about 8 double vodkas, two glasses of wine, two double morgans spiced, double gin, 6 shots of apple sourz :yum: and the rest that I have forgot.

And I only managed to spend £30 on drink :confused: Wasnt even my birthday night out.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    I know it is a scary thought..!!

Last saturday night I had...*tries to remember*

30 units. Comprising of, about 8 double vodkas, two glasses of wine, two double morgans spiced, double gin, 6 shots of apple sourz :yum: and the rest that I have forgot.

And I only managed to spend £30 on drink :confused: Wasnt even my birthday night out.
    tut, and aren't you a student nurse? :p
  • Options
    LOL I'm doing Biology at Uni, we really should know better.

I think I'm probably stressing over nothing, I bet a liver test would reveal normal results. I hope.

I often worry about my health and it turns out to be fine! But I thought I wasn't informed enough to neglect my alcohol intake. Cheers for replies
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    tut, and aren't you a student nurse? :p

Well I need to practice for when I qualify... can't look like a weakling infront of the qualified staff!!!! :D :thumb:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    No you don't need it, you need to be a proper alcoholic for like 20 years to do any serious damage to your liver, however you're not doing it any favours now and you might have to re-consider your drinking habits. Though you're a student, so go mad :thumb:

Not true, its certainly possible to damage your liver over 5 years of heavy (100+) units a week.
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    I've been known to drink 70+ units in a week
    as have many students tbh.
    your drinking isn't a problem unless you feel it is disrupting your life.
    try replacing the odd alcoholic drink with a non alcoholic alternative for every couple of drinks when you go out.
  • Options
    i thought it was 21 units per week for men and 14 for women?
  • Options
    and remember, liver transplants arent nice people!
  • Options
    If your worried about the state of your liver start drinking sensibly, staying within the weekly limits and not binge drinking. Also try taking milk thistle, i hear its good for your liver.
  • Options
    After so little time it probably won't effect you too badly, but I would recommend cutting down the amount you drink, it will be for the better :)
  • Options
    Just thought you might find these links handy:

what drink does

Safe drinking

Factors affecting drink

;)
  • Options
    my 16 year old mates liver just failed the other week cos she drank more than 24 units a day - more than your body can digest - for about a month

was kinda whack