Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tcp/ip

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone studied TCP/IP? Can you understand it? Which books are best for learning this?

Comments

• Options
    Studied it, understand it.

The best books, overall, for computing stuff like that are the O'Reilly books that have animals on them and are often referred to by the animal, such as the crab book, which is TCP/IP Network Administration - which is the one I'd suggest to you.

It covers all the TCP/IP stack stuff, then goes into a bit of Linux / Unix admin stuff like BIND / DNS, etc..
  • Options
    Cheers, will take a look at that book :).
  • Options
    From what angle you wanting to understand TCP/IP?

I'm only asking because for example Microsoft & Cisco have different ways of explaining it, depending on what your end goal is you might be best to look at a book slighty more in tune with what your trying to get out of it? Just a thought. :)
  • Options
    Just really trying to understand what the stack actually does. Just found a whole heap of O'Reilly e-books and it's got the TCP/IP Network Administration guide in it which Mist recommended ;).
  • Options
    Seems silly but this is how I remember the 7 layer OSI and the 4 layer TCP/IP stacks..

7 Layer
    Alan (Application)
    Punched (Presentation)
    Senna (Session)
    Then (Transport)
    Nicked (Network)
    Damon's (Data Link)
    Pears (Physical)

4 Layer
    Apple (Application)
    Tango (Transport)
    Not (Network)
    Like (Link)

There's something else that's stuck in my head about ICMP (Internet Control Military Police), they come and slap you if you manage to get a successful grope (ping).

Well that's of absolutely no use to you whatsoever I guess but it's just wasted 5 minutes of my time :naughty:
  • Options
    Haha, cheers for the quick overview lol :p.