Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The pure evil that is the Death Penalty

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Boozy wrote:
    An eye for an eye.

And the whole world goes blind.
    Boozy wrote:
    The crinimal justice system in America at least takes punishment seriously, look at the sentences that are often given out here, how would you as the victoms wife/husband feel about seeing the person that murdered your lover back on the streets.

Yes, and you have nearly 1% of their population in jail, no reduction in violent crime and no actual benefit. Fantastic.
    While I think sentences for stuff like rape etc in this country are just (for lack of a better word) GAY! You can get longer for selling dope godamnit!

The Death Penalty does not stop people from killing, I doubt any of them think about getting the death penalty when they comitt these crimes anyway. All does is hurt the innocent members of their family/friends and save the convict from life inprisonment... if I got life I'd probably want it ended too.

Nobody benefits from the Death Penalty except the fucking criminals.
    Unless they would rather actually have life in jail, which some obviously do.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    And the whole world goes blind.

So true. It is a flawed system, that.
    batfink wrote:
    Right, as for this my point is that it is simply wrong for a human being, or a committee of human beings, to decide whether someone else is going to live or die, whether this is in the case of a murder by an individual or a murder by tthe state (which is what capital punishment is really). Just because it is trussed up in officiality does not suddenly make it okay, sending someone to death is barbaric, i don't care in what form, how can it be excused? especially by states in allegedly the most "democratic" country in the world. It is playing at being god and really makes the punisher no better than the perpetrator. I don't think it sets a very good example to society.
    We punish somebody for playing God by playing God ourselves as a collective and I do agree with what you're saying.

The death penalty has no function but revenge, to satisfy that dark part of human nature that, like a spoiled child must have what it wants to sleep well at night.