Home› Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Binge drinking is stupid

Of course the activity itself is an excellent hobby but the term is so meaningless its stupid.

Alcohol Concern call binge drinking any drinking to get drunk, what exactly is the point of drinking if it isnt to get intoxicated?

You show me someone who drinks "purely for the taste" and I'll show you a liar.

Branding virtually every adult in Britain as a dangerous thug 'binge drinker' is pointless, damaging and stupid.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm fed up of hearing about it and fed up of the association with young people...as though posh people don't get pissed at their dinner parties/country clubs. But oh no Henry, that's not binge drinking, that's getting merry.

Yes of course I drink with the intention of getting pissed, I enjoy it. If I'm not hurting anyone, whose business is it? I'm contributing to the economy!
    if you're gonna binge drink then at least don't cause trouble....but no....drunken idiots have to go running round at 2am fighting and smashing things up....how childish
    Yes but it has to be said the majority of binge-drinkers do not cause trouble, and use alcohol "socially" instead of it becoming "anti-social".

As with most things like this, it's the minority who tar the reputation of the majority.
    A cold beer is refreshing and can be drank for pleasure rather than for getting drunk. As are many other alcoholic drinks.

But as to the rest yeah i agree with you
    Ballerina wrote:
    if you're gonna binge drink then at least don't cause trouble....but no....drunken idiots have to go running round at 2am fighting and smashing things up....how childish

Have you ever got really drunk with your mates on a Friday night?

ETA: Some people like to go home after work and sit with a beer, but at the weekend, no one goes to the pub for a few drinks, you've had a long week at work. Getting smashed is like a present for your hard work and thats what I think the drink culture in the UK is all about.
    Yeh I once read something saying so many units per session was binge drinking. Then relayed it to my parents who apparently binge drink every single day because they have a few glasses of wine with their dinner.

Sorry i can't remember the source :blush:
    edited coz my grammar was atrocious
    I really, really don't like being drunk. I'd prefer to drink till my vision goes a little giddy, then stop and sober up gradually as the night goes on. I just don't like feeling vunerable, and whenever I do drink too much, I always do/say something I regret.

I'm quite happy to say I've never been taken advantage of / unable to move / thrown up.
    If your vision is giddy, you are drunk. I also don't like being completely out of control, puking on the floor, but I enjoy the feeling of being a bit drunk.
    Each to their own...personally I like going out at the weekends and getting totally wasted.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    If your vision is giddy, you are drunk. I also don't like being completely out of control, puking on the floor, but I enjoy the feeling of being a bit drunk.

Nah, to me, thats just the first signs. Tipsyness. If I stop there, I'm okay within 30 mins, but still really relaxed. If I carry on, balance goes, slurred speech, irrational thinking, make-up all over face, etc etc.
    well I guess that's down to definition..to me that is drunk, not VERY drunk but still a bit.
    FilthyChav wrote:
    If I carry on, balance goes, slurred speech, irrational thinking, make-up all over face, etc etc.

And thats a bad thing :confused: :razz:
    PussyKatty wrote:
    well I guess that's down to definition..to me that is drunk, not VERY drunk but still a bit.

hehe. last time I was drunk was at my parents' party last friday. i drank 3 pints of cider and a snakebite. couldn't balance or see, kept walking into things, talking/laughing really loudly, dirty dancing with my bf in front of my parents :nervous:. was fun at the time, but felt pretty low the next day.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The whole violence and anti social thing is somewhat down to what you drink, different drinks can affect you in different ways. Also, it can seem a logical thing to the intoxicated mind. Can't say I've ever done it, but then, I suppose that just isn't my idea of drunken fun.

I drink to get mildly intoxicated. By alcohol has a way of saying "Just one more, no harm", so you end up getting fucked.
    The way i react to alcohol depends on who im with. If i get drunk before a football match im likely to start shouting and singing loudly which leads to vandilsm.

Put if im at a party with loads of people, its a lot different i just talk about nothing to everyone, and meet loads new people i wouldnt normally

if im on my own (which happens if i wonder off lol) i usally just go to sleep.

I binge drink all the time, so what? i never fight with people
    i'm home alone tonight. got home 7ish ...made a giant cheeseburger with all the trimming and more.
    i had the munchies after an interesting day.
    i'd also had two cans of carlsberg special ...i'm still drinking the second one in fact.
    there are four more to go which i intend falling into bed under the infiuelnce of.
    ok ...back to rolling a munchie machine.
    Drink is a great thing, especially 5 or 6 pints of Ale.
    binge drinking ...age old problem new label.
    I used to really enjoy a few pints of lager, but the past couple of years it just makes me feel bloated and not drunk, so when I do drink it's vodka or something strong, which is rarely.

It's interesting how taking drugs makes you not want to drink much.
    I don't seem to get pissed properly or lose inhibition on lager and it has more of a tendency to make me spin. I like drinking spirits to get pissed and I like drinking a few cans to chill with and I really enjoy the taste. I think spirits are rank.
    Alcopops make me spew as well, cheap nasty shit. :yuck:
    Vray wrote:
    I used to really enjoy a few pints of lager, but the past couple of years it just makes me feel bloated and not drunk, so when I do drink it's vodka or something strong, which is rarely.

It's interesting how taking drugs makes you not want to drink much.

Personally, the more drugs I take, the more alcohol I drink.
    Blagsta wrote:
    Personally, the more drugs I take, the more alcohol I drink.

I find it very difficult to drink on ecstacy, I can on a comedown but not when I'm on it, I drink like a fish on coke though.
    turlough wrote:
    ETA: Some people like to go home after work and sit with a beer, but at the weekend, no one goes to the pub for a few drinks, you've had a long week at work. Getting smashed is like a present for your hard work and thats what I think the drink culture in the UK is all about.

How is what you said an estimated time arrival? :confused:
    How is what you said an estimated time arrival? :confused:

Sorry mate don't get you there...what are you trying to say?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Or, maybe it is the Sepratists in spain?
    turlough wrote:
    Each to their own...personally I like going out at the weekends and getting totally wasted.

:yes: