Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

1500mg Paracetamol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it safe to take 1500mg Paracetamol in one go, I'm in pain and I don't want to take any more tramadol because it gives me leg jerks/spasms. They're paracetamol and codiene, I just wanna take three for that extra bit of codiene even if it means it's only a placebo effect, this pain is doing my head in.

Any help?

Btw my normal doctor is on holiday so i went to another one, who I told was on tramadol but still in a lot of pain so he gave me diclofenac!! Haha.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It wont do you any serious harm, though its not all that great to do very often.
    Ok thanks
    What has he given you in codiene again?
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I you want to be sure, I would try giving NHS Direct a call.
    bongbudda wrote:
    What has he given you in codiene again?

Don't quite get what you mean by that?

LadyJade- It's too late, I already took them... but I'll give them a call and tell them what I've done and see what they say. I doubt I'll come to any harm but I've heard some pretty nasty things about paracetamol overdoses even on four 500mg tablets.
    Exactly, and if you have to take that high a dosage of paracetamol to manage your pain IMO it sounds like you (or your doc) may need to consider other methods.
    You're right I've been trying to this point accross to the consultant at the hospital and the doctor, I'm getting another appointment tomorrow with a different doctor (my GP is still on holiday)... the last one sent me home with a script for diclofenac ffs! Where's the logic in that, I'm taking Tramadol at maximum dose and still in pain and he gives me diclofenac and asks me to try cut out the tramadol. :rolleyes:

They must think I'm a junkie or summat coz they wouldn't even give me anything for the really bad panic attacks I was having... it was my own fault but they don't know that.
    TOMO wrote:
    They're paracetamol and codiene, !! .
    i think your wrong.
    TOMO wrote:
    Don't quite get what you mean by that?.

What strength is the codiene? As in how many mg is in the tablet along with the 500mg paracetamol, doctors quite often give out 10mg ones when you can buy stronger over the counter.
    TOMO wrote:
    You're right I've been trying to this point accross to the consultant at the hospital and the doctor, I'm getting another appointment tomorrow with a different doctor (my GP is still on holiday)... the last one sent me home with a script for diclofenac ffs! Where's the logic in that, I'm taking Tramadol at maximum dose and still in pain and he gives me diclofenac and asks me to try cut out the tramadol. :rolleyes:

Have you thought about looking at alternatives like acupressure/puncture? They are supposed to be very effective for managing and relieving long term/chronic pain. (I'm not sure what you need pain relief for??) It sounds like the GPs are concerned about you becoming dependent on or tolerant of your pain relief, but that obviously has to be balanced with relieving your pain. Sounds like you need to have a good honest chat with the doctor.
    i think your wrong.

I meant the tablets I was on about taking were Paracetamol and Codiene not Tramadol IS Paracetamol and Codiene... is that what you thought I meant?

bongbudda wrote:
    What strength is the codiene? As in how many mg is in the tablet along with the 500mg paracetamol, doctors quite often give out 10mg ones when you can buy stronger over the counter.

They're only 8mg, found them in the cupboard and decided to use them as I'd ran out of Syndol. They're not on prescription... maybe do a bit of cold water extraction later anyway. :yum:
    LadyJade wrote:
    Have you thought about looking at alternatives like acupressure/puncture? They are supposed to be very effective for managing and relieving long term/chronic pain. (I'm not sure what you need pain relief for??) It sounds like the GPs are concerned about you becoming dependent on or tolerant of your pain relief, but that obviously has to be balanced with relieving your pain. Sounds like you need to have a good honest chat with the doctor.

I've not thought about that but I will have a look into it if the pain doesn't decrease over the next few weeks. I was in a road accident and broke my hip,toe,foot, cracked a rib and needed a plate in my leg and hip screwed.
    I've just got back from the doctor (who was really good) and he said to take paracetamol at regular intervals which I hasn't been doing and prescribed me some antihistamines to help me sleep, he didn't want to give me any "sleeping tablets" because of the addiction potential. He also said that when you find it a bit easier you can slowly come off the tramadol over a period of 4 weeks, he told me that if I was to just stop taking them it might cause even more un-wanted side effects.

Although I would love to get my hands on some benzos I know that this is about whats best for me rather than what I would like. I thought he weighed up the situation pretty well and seemed to listen and think about everything I said. I'll take his advice and see how things go... thanks for your help bong and jade.
    You can buy Solphadine Max over the counter which is 12.8mg codiene per 500mg paracetamol rather than just 8mg, but they are quite a lot more expencive.
    I'll probably go get some later so long as their not at extortionate prices otherwise I'll stick to syndol.

Will the extra couple of mg make a noticable difference?
    Taking two 12.8mg ones will be a little above taking three 8mg ones but you wont have to over take the paracetamol.
    I figured that lol
    prescription co codamol (brand name is kapake) have 30mg of codeine..

cold water extraction with 10 of them and you'll be loving it ;)
    z01 wrote:
    prescription co codamol (brand name is kapake) have 30mg of codeine..

cold water extraction with 10 of them and you'll be loving it ;)

If you arent itching all over like you have never itched before.
    Glad to hear you were happy with the result of your appointment TOMO. And z01, I think getting off his face is a lower priority for TOMO than managing his pain. Or at least I hope it is...
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you arent itching all over like you have never itched before.

i didnt have much of a problem with itching..
    LadyJade wrote:
    Glad to hear you were happy with the result of your appointment TOMO. And z01, I think getting off his face is a lower priority for TOMO than managing his pain. Or at least I hope it is...

i think maybe you should take the time to carefully read the whole thread before posting things like that, LadyJade.... ;)
    z01 wrote:
    i didnt have much of a problem with itching..

Most people at the 250mg+ mark normally experience quite a lot of itching.
    i know itching is a common side effect but i havent really noticed it

infact the only time i did notice it was at a lower dosage which is strange

oh well... its still definatly a great buzz ... if you smoke a bit of weed about an hour after taking it its very warm and fuzzy and euphoric!
    I found it quite dull actually, it was nice enough but a rather boring experience all round.
    much did you take ?

its nice for a change, something different is always good!
    I think it was about 200-225mg, something like that, it was years ago, I got the euphoria and all that but it really just wasnt for me, some people take to it I guess and others dont.
    z01 wrote:
    i think maybe you should take the time to carefully read the whole thread before posting things like that, LadyJade.... ;)

I don't really understand what you are getting at there....
    LadyJade wrote:
    I don't really understand what you are getting at there....

I think he's being cheeky, we cant have that, ban him.
    TOMO wrote:
    They're only 8mg, found them in the cupboard and decided to use them as I'd ran out of Syndol. They're not on prescription... maybe do a bit of cold water extraction later anyway. :yum:
    QUOTE]

like i said if you took the time to read the thread carefully you would have realised that he did infact bring the subject up
    Ok, no need to encourage him though, you know we don't allow that kind of thing here ;)
    Thanks people erm I've decided against putting any extra/unnecessary chemicals in my body, after 3 weeks of 8 tablets a day minimum is starting to bother me slightly because I've got at least another 4 weeks of tapering off tramadol (or so my doctor says I should do). I feel as if its starting to chemically fuck me up a bit, especially whilst going without much sleep or food.

I hope these antihistamines help relax me enough to get a proper routine back and get a regular sleeping pattern back in time for my college courses beginning next week.
    Uprising wrote:
    I meant the tablets I was on about taking were Paracetamol and Codiene not Tramadol IS Paracetamol and Codiene... is that what you thought I meant?

yes sorry about that.