Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleep paralysis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Apparently a condition which drug use can spark...

Basically you're lying down about to sleep...

Then you kind of briefly slip into a full hallucinatory world, and you can't move...

Happened to me over a month ago or something like that. I reckoned it was like some kind of fucked up flashback to an Ecstasy trip.

Hallucinated my flatmate asking me for "joint ends"...tried to speak but couldn't...suddenly came back to reality, and she wasn't there.

Really was something you remember.

Put it down to taking too many drugs...but apparently it's a recognised condition, 1 in 3 people experience it at some point in their lives.

Bit like a free trip really... :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Apparently a condition which drug use can spark...

Basically you're lying down about to sleep...

Then you kind of briefly slip into a full hallucinatory world, and you can't move...

Happened to me over a month ago or something like that. I reckoned it was like some kind of fucked up flashback to an Ecstasy trip.

Hallucinated my flatmate asking me for "joint ends"...tried to speak but couldn't...suddenly came back to reality, and she wasn't there.

Really was something you remember.

Put it down to taking too many drugs...but apparently it's a recognised condition, 1 in 3 people experience it at some point in their lives.

Bit like a free trip really... :thumb:

ha i get that all the time, i actually made a thread about it once

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=66813&highlight=sleep+paralysis

really scary, sometimes you can't breathe too
  • Options
    Its not really something to joke about, I had a mate at school who had suffered from it for years, its quite grim really.

It seems to have some corellation to drug use, though others suffer from it as well.
  • Options
    I also get it, but when i've just woken up as opposed to just going to sleep. Never taked drugs tho, so it cant eb that thats causing it
  • Options
    a_guy wrote:
    I also get it, but when i've just woken up as opposed to just going to sleep. Never taked drugs tho, so it cant eb that thats causing it

Hmm, interesting logic there, your condition and his could have different triggers.
  • Options
    when i am waking up sometimes i cant move for a good few minutes, can't even open my eyes even though i am trying so hard, its usually when i'm coming out of a dream. is this sleep paralysis because i dont hallucinate or anything?
  • Options
    Yes it is, and your GP is by far the best person to be discussing it with.
  • Options
    aaggggghhhhh the devils sitting on you!!
    thats what they used to think about 100yrs ago! did they use drugs then? :confused: :nervous: :hyper:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    when i am waking up sometimes i cant move for a good few minutes, can't even open my eyes even though i am trying so hard, its usually when i'm coming out of a dream.

I get this, but on a shorter scale - usually a max of 20 seconds or so. I'd always put it down to it being my body coming out of the dream I was having, but do you reckon it's sleep paralysis then, bongbudda?
    judi wrote:
    aaggggghhhhh the devils sitting on you!!
    thats what they used to think about 100yrs ago! did they use drugs then?

Yeah cheers for that. *opens door for you*
  • Options
    Chem:Lab wrote:
    I get this, but on a shorter scale - usually a max of 20 seconds or so. I'd always put it down to it being my body coming out of the dream I was having, but do you reckon it's sleep paralysis then, bongbudda?

It could be, I'm not medically trained.
  • Options
    It's not something that concerns me in any way, so I suppose I'll leave it until it scares the shit out of me.
  • Options
    it doesn't have to be drug induced...it's usually got to do with stress or something...i haven't got it as regularly this past while...the worst thing for me about it is the fact that sometimes you can't breathe when you're in it...
  • Options
    I had a weird feeling like that not so long ago but aswell as not being able to move i felt as if my head was shaking/vibrating and there was nothing i could do... it freaked me out ever since until i have read this

yeh thats it...i think i read somewhere that 1/3 of people get it at least once in their lifetime but less get it regularly...it is freaky
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is a good article here from the Observer, which has one of the most straightforward explanations of sleep paralysis I have seen. There is also a link at the end to a website on that and other sleeping disorders. I didn't realise it was so common...
  • Options
    Good link. I get what that guy describes, only without the giant vivid hallucinations: mine seem to be fairly restricted to the content of whatever dream I'm having.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not really something to joke about, I had a mate at school who had suffered from it for years, its quite grim really.

It seems to have some corellation to drug use, though others suffer from it as well.

It's not necessarily grim, can be quite interesting.
  • Options
    Chem:Lab wrote:

It doesn't sound like what i experienced, which is definitely sleep paralysis, but i'm not an expert on the matter.

From what i understand, the experience usually occurs just as you're drifting off - as opposed to just waking up. The eyes must also be open, because it's a proper hallucination, like you've taken a drug. Kind of like Salvia with heavy visuals.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    It doesn't sound like what i experienced, which is definitely sleep paralysis, but i'm not an expert on the matter.

From what i understand, the experience usually occurs just as you're drifting off - as opposed to just waking up. The eyes must also be open, because it's a proper hallucination, like you've taken a drug. Kind of like Salvia with heavy visuals.

you can get it while waking up aswell but it's not as common...the hallucinations are always really fucking scary and they look so real too...
  • Options
    The nearest i get is when i sleep on my arm and cant move it for a minute no matter how hard i try
  • Options
    lazymonkey wrote:
    The nearest i get is when i sleep on my arm and cant move it for a minute no matter how hard i try

lol, not quite sleep paralysis...a full hallucinatory world.
  • Options
    oh my god i have had this in the past its really scarey and freaked me righht out, i thought i was actually paralysed and tryed waking me boyfriend up to wake me up but i couldnt sleep so i jst made lil gurgling sounds and moaning sounds and could movew only one finger.
    i then thought my boyfriend woke up but he didnt really and it scared the shit out of me.
    This all happned when i was heavy on the pills, no i'v cut right down its totaly stopped.....weird!
    ~XXX~
  • Options
    Is it also a "condition" when you don't have hallucinations, but simply can't move, nor open your eyes - yet fully aware of what's happening?
    Cause I get those often. Usually at the middle of the night.
  • Options
    I have sleep paralysis chronically. I have no idea what's going on. I've never done any trippy or hardcore mind drugs.

It's probably one of the most intense experiances ever, like a nightmare coming to life. Your mind is stuck in the dream but your eyes are wide open and you're somewhat aware of your surroundings but you can't really move or focus.

Body's probably trying to tell me it's time to go.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    Is it also a "condition" when you don't have hallucinations, but simply can't move, nor open your eyes - yet fully aware of what's happening?
    Cause I get those often. Usually at the middle of the night.

Yes, the hallucinations are only part of it and they dont happen to everyone.

For those of you who suffer from this you really should talk to your doctor about it.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, the hallucinations are only part of it and they dont happen to everyone.

For those of you who suffer from this you really should talk to your doctor about it.

Never knew it was a condition. When I was a bit younger I was scared and thought someone was holding me down. Then I heard about someone else who had it, think it was maybe on this site actually, and just learnt how to "get out of it" by first moving my toes and by that "freeing" the rest of my body.
    The article said though that there are no risks by this, so I don't really understand how a doctor would help.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

why? what problems does it cause that you need to go to a doctor for?
  • Options
    I found that it can churn reality. I thought I was stuck in a nightmare for 3 days and started doing some of the strangest things. I used to take needles and jam them into my limbs and the second day I put a cigarette out on my pant leg. I seriously thought it was a dream and that nothing was real. I don't really remember how it ended, but I definately got some strange looks.

I've gotten used to it now, but it used to be so intense. I've never seen a doctor for it because I believe it to be purely psychological and just something to overcome.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    why? what problems does it cause that you need to go to a doctor for?

I dont really know what treatments, if any, that a doctor could give you, but it might be a good idea to discuss it with them, see if they have any ideas or methods of making it not happen.
  • Options
    ah!

i have experienced what I think is sleep paralysis for a couple of years now, i had it before i started taking drugs but found it to be a lot worse when i was caning it and depriving myself of sleep. i seem to experience it differently however, i don't have hallucinations as such, though i feel like i am fully awake and can see and the room around me is exactly as it should be so it feels completely normal but i just cannot move any part of my body. It's terrifying because i can see my body but i can't make it move. I feel the best thing to do is to try and calm myself down and not panic and then think about regaining control over my body but this can take ages and isn't always successful. I also find it happens as I am falling asleep and when i am really really exhausted. Once it has happened once then it often happens at least 4 or 5 times again to the point where i am terrified of going to sleep and watch tv instead. It is terrifying for me being aware of what is going on but now being able to move, let alone with any hallucination. Does anyone else experience it like me?
  • Options
    Yes I experience it from time to time. It's not uncommon, I get hallucinations, both visual and audio (hear voices) it's scary the first few times but you get used to it. It's mainly down to stress and drug use definately makes you vulnerable to it, so try getting into a good sleep routine, exercise regularly, read a book before you go to bed etc etc and if you do drugs, try to calm down on the caining.
  • Options
    i've got that a few times, iits not very pleasant...