Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm going mental.

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
I currently work from home as a programmer, because I wanted to move away from my job, but they wanted some continuity. So I agreed to do the same job from home.

The problem is that all my time is spent in the same place, and I'm going crazy. :(

I'm starting to wonder whether it's the actual work, or just the environment that I hate.

I've started looking for jobs where I work with people (admin jobs at the council pay about the same), but I'm not sure how much future progression (and how fast) they offer.

I just haven't a clue what to do, or even what I want to do (y'know career options in general). I don't like this, but I don't want to end up in something dead end (mind you, I suppose this could be, too).

Help! (If you can) :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It sounds like you are in a similar position to how I was a few years ago, basically very demoralised at work as a web programmer.

I've had a few jobs since then, all in IT, and I've basically come to realise that it's a lot more to do with the people in the office than the job that you are doing. The team around you makes all the difference.

So I guess what I'm saying is for you to look out for other jobs where you might find a decent group of people and be happier, though it's a bit of pot luck.
    Cheers Mist :)

I think you're right, I think the lack of distinction between home/work doesn't help, either.
    bad seed wrote:
    Cheers Mist :)

I think you're right, I think the lack of distinction between home/work doesn't help, either.

Probably not, especially if you spend a lot of time on (the same) computer after work time.

You should try to very clearly differentiate between work time and your time, even if that means having all the stuff in another room or getting "changed" for work.