Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this wrong?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    but it does mean he has the means!

i dont think she's being unreasonable at all and i think that you're just being difficult. ok so you've had demanding girlfriends and thats probably clouding your opinion in this case, but i really think she is right, she shouldnt have to make the effort and if he always used to suggest things to do and now doesnt, something has changed. yeah he may be going off her etc but doesnt she have a right to know? and isnt it better she comes on here and asks our opinions rather than just demand to him he take her out and he spend his money on her? she's asking what she should do, she's not saying she's telling him he should spoil her

As far as I see it there's dating spending and real life spending. When you first meet a girl then you want to impress her, you take her places, buy her things, rightly or wrongly that spending is often substantially reduced, unless you have the deepest of pockets, when you're convinced she likes you, that you don't need to overextend yourself and go to such efforts. It's a fact of many relationships. As a younger woman she might not be overly aware of that. If it's his attention she wants then it's not unreasonable to expect that, however if it's his money, as she suggests but then claims not to want, then she must come to the realisation that there are many things money must go on, there are other things in life and only so much spending to go around. It's not unreasonable to think that a man of a similar age is saving for holidays, cars or houses or paying for those already each month. He might even be getting the finances together for a wedding.

Essentially it's more complex than the initial whinge suggests, we don't have enough information to advise her other than to suggest she speaks to him about it in a non-confrontational way.

That's enough of my time wasted on the subject.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    I know I am.

You're so witty and helpful and shit.

Anyway.

If this lad isn't doing things with you then he may well be going off you, or he may be unhappy about something else.

If this lad isn't wanting to spend money on you but is wanting to spend time with you then perhaps you need to be more realistic in your demands. If you are always flashing the cash then maybe you need to cut down on your spending, maybe you spend too much. Maybe he's just naturally frugal, and you need to decide whether you like that in a man or not.

Maybe he doesn't think you're worth the money.

Have you talked to him? Have you asked him what is going on?

As for ginner's remarks, I think it is important for partners to show they still care about each other, and gifts are one of those ways. It isn't about the cash value but it is about the thought. This lad doesn't sound like he's thinking much about this girl at all.

Being upset that she spends money and he doesn't does not make this girl a gold-digger or a whinger, it is a serious problem that befalls many relationships. If one person is doing all the running and flashing all the cash- and the other partner has plenty of time and readies but doesn't use them- then that is a serious difficulty the relationship faces.
  • Options
    He isn't short on money and doesn't mind spending money going out with his mates or spending money on himself. Just with me.

Am I being really selfish saying he should take me out?

If he's spending money on himself and his mates, rather than you, then I think you need to question whether you have a relationship or if he is just using you.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but when I'm in a relationship my girl comes first, I'll glare at her when she walks into the 15th clothes shop, and buys another dress, handbag or pair of shoes, but I'll pull out my wallet and pay for the stuff.

I never buy anything for myself, but I recognise that women need 15 handbags, so I don't begrudge her them, " I say through gritted teeth". If she wants to go out, I always take her out.

If your not his number one priority then seems like you may not be right for each other.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    we don't have enough information to advise her other than to suggest she speaks to him about it in a non-confrontational way.

exactly! so why did you have to make all the comments you did?!
  • Options
    exactly! so why did you have to make all the comments you did?!

*Yawn* Bored now.
  • Options
    Yet another helpful and insightful remark from ginner.

As for advice, kermit's probably covered it all.
  • Options
    ITS NOT ABOUT THE FLAMING MONEY!!!!

well, i was working from this:
    It's now at the point where he doesn't even suggest going out if it costs a little more than usual. I can't remember the last time he.... paid me into the cinema, or even paid for dinner. I pay my own way for everything.

see, i read 'pay my own way for everything', not 'pay for everthing'. and i thought, well so you should. just cause your chap earns more than you doesn't mean he has to spend all the excess on you. you're an equal partner in a relationship, not a lap dog.

you can say it isn't about the money, but why, then, did every paragraph in the original post mention money?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

see, i read 'pay my own way for everything', not 'pay for everthing'. and i thought, well so you should. just cause your chap earns more than you doesn't mean he has to spend all the excess on you. you're an equal partner in a relationship, not a lap dog.

you can say it isn't about the money, but why, then, did every paragraph in the original post mention money?

Too right.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

True. And when ginner eventually got to the point, it was a valid one.

Speak to your boyfriend about your feelings, but I get the impression that you should be a bit more realistic about how much cash he has to spend. Maybe you're suggesting things that are stupidly expensive, or that he has no interest in?
  • Options
    some of the responses on here remind me why I dont feel I can post about some of my problems on here. Theres so much I feel I could do with advice on, but im not prepared to be ripped apart like I see happen to some people by this lovely caring community.
  • Options
    Does he turn you down to go out with mates instead of you?

It is boring when all you do with your boyfriend is sit in the house watching films.

It's nice occasionally but when that's ALL YOU DO, that sucks.
    He sounds a bit tight to me. It's nice to treat your partner, and that goes both ways. If I have money, then I will pay for us into the cinema (for example), and the next time, if he has money, he will take me out for dinner. When you first get together with a guy, they usually want to pay for everything but after you've been together for a while you have to be realistic.

My chap has a car and I don't, and sometimes, if I know he's a bit short on money I will give him a fiver or so to contribute towards petrol if we are going somewhere far.

Maybe suggest some things you can do together that don't have to be about money. Make a picnic, take the car to somewhere pretty, play with a frisbee, feed the ducks...it doesn't all have to be expensive.

What happens on your birthday? If the guy is actually tight, and mean, maybe you need to rethink the relationship.
  • Options
    some of the responses on here remind me why I dont feel I can post about some of my problems on here. Theres so much I feel I could do with advice on, but im not prepared to be ripped apart like I see happen to some people by this lovely caring community.

I think the responses by ginner in particular are absolutely disgraceful, to be quite honest. I've been warned several times for saying less about obvious trolls. I bet ginner hasn't been warned at all.

But what else would one expect from the self-confessed homophobic misogynist?

Still, he upset this girl, and that's the reaction he obviously wanted. How sad.
  • Options
    I'd take this thread seriously, except ginner is here. So it's kinda funny.
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    I'd take this thread seriously, except ginner is here. So it's kinda funny.

:wave:
  • Options
    I can't remember the last time he took me out for a drink, or paid me into the cinema, or even paid for dinner. I pay my own way for everything. Plus whenever we go anywhere I have to drive as he can't

erm nuff said
  • Options
    My mum said that it was more normal now-a-days to go halves on a date, with meals and cinema. This was the case with my girlfriend of the mid 1990s.

In Pinksoldier's case, outings should be split, until the relationship becomes longterm which I think it is here.
  • Options

I agree with you. I'm not sure if I had a problem that I would post it after reading this. I've been away for while and to come back and see one little shit try and ruin a problem thread is quite sad.

pinksoldier - tell the tight fuck to take you somewhere nice! :p
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I can't remember the last time he took me out for a drink, or paid me into the cinema, or even paid for dinner. I pay my own way for everything.

How often do you pay for his drinks, cinema ticket or diner?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Harmless wrote:
    I've been away for while
    :wave: Hi Harmless :) welcome back
  • Options
    Harmless wrote:
    I agree with you. I'm not sure if I had a problem that I would post it after reading this. I've been away for while and to come back and see one little shit try and ruin a problem thread is quite sad.

It is rather sad isn't it?

Welcome back mate. Such a shame people like you left to be replaced by the creatures you were replaced by.

To think I shared a college with this creature at university. No wonder I only went there to collect my mail.
  • Options
    Harmless wrote:
    I've been away for while
    Yeah i'd noticed that. Welcome back :wave: