Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Whats your opinion of Online dating?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've not really gotten anywhere with that Face Party site.

I tried initiating correspondence through its messaging system. I have messaged 11 people two-three weeks ago. The number of responses - big fat zero! Outside of that, I've had six spam messages + 1 person trying to scam me (Russian visa-and-travel scam).

The Cool-Tools feature has a read receipt facility, so I know that the 11 messages I have sent have all been read by their recipients. Having no reply takes the Michael.

Face Party reminds me of job-hunting!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you have to be careful with any dating site, because they all have a fair quantity of people who are desperate and a bit strange. faceparty in particular proves that.

Meeting people on the net itself isn't so weird. I met my wife online.

Meeting on the net is probably safer than in a club. If you are awake you can normally tell if something doesn't add up if you're talking on MSN, few people have the intelligence and fastidiousness to fully maintain an alternate persona. IN a club you know nothing about the person, they could (and usually are) anybody. There are frar more instances of girls from nightclubs getting raped and beaten by their pulls than there are girls off the internet.

The difference is that an internet rapist sounds more terrifying, and the stories go in the papers because terrifying = more sales. That, and there is an issue with naive and lonely young girls getting manipulated by older men, but that is an issue in every area of life, not just the net.

The usual advice applies- if you meet anyone, tell people where you are going, meet in public, and if something doesn't add up just ditch the date.