Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recent news

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been watching all the news on niger (hope thats spelt correct) on the news recently and i was wondering whether anyone knows if there are any organisations that look for volunteers to go out there and give them a hand?

Comments

• Options
    You might want to check the information in do-it.org.uk's volunteering overseas section -

http://www.do-it.org.uk/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=452

They should have lots of information on the organisations you can contact about opportunities
  • Options
    I think there's a bit on the Oxfam website that lets you volunteer...I can go have a look-see if you would like?
  • Options
    If you don't have any specific skills to offer (ie in disaster management, nursing, logisitics etc) then you could be more of a hinderance than a help to people. You could also be taking away a job from a local person.

Just a thought

Oh and not to be so negative but if you do have some appropriate skills and no major commitments in the UK then sign up for UN volunteers - you have to be able to go away at short notice - I think they keep your details on thier database for 2 years - but i know some people who have gone to some amaising places.
  • Options
    Online volunteering

The UN volunteers site has a section called UNV Online volunteering which can put you in touch with organisations where you can use your time and skills to help people via the internet.

For me this was a good option as I was looking for a constructive way to help people in developing countries but I can't go and volunteer abroad for various reasons.

Through this site I found an organisation called Nabuur where communities in developing countries, who are known on the site as Villages, are linked up online with volunteers from around the world, known as Neighbours, who use their skills, experience and ideas to help them solve their problems and improve their lives.

So far I have been involved with two Villges:

Amatekoppa in India currently sell all their craft products locally but this doesn't really provide enough income so they are looking to find ways to market their products over a wider area. In this case I have posted details of companies who may want to sell them. I think what they really need is to get some Neighbours who have a lot of experience of marketing and running a business.

In the Kolwan Valey in India there is a community called Sadhana Village for people with learning disabilities which allows them to lead fulfilling lives and overcome their disabilities. They need information on Occupational Therapy and suitable leisure activities. So far I have posted links to a variety of websites and contacted a few organisatins who do similar things in the hope that they will be able to help Sadhana.

As well as these two there are many other Villages who want information on all sorts of things including education, reducing child labour, building websites, grain mills, marketing, making shampoo, selling alpaca wool etc. They are spread across Asia, Africa and the America.

Its not real 'hands on' volunteering but at least it does give me the opportunity to help people around the world other than just sticking my money in a charity tin.

Mary