Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Resit - why?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I got told today that I need to do a resit for my Ebglish, despite getting a D for it. But why though? I've been working at Grade D (or been predicted one) since the start of Year 10...

Also, would I just do the exams or the coursework & exams?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is that GCSE English or A/AS Level?

I think GCSE English was always required at my Sixth Form to be re-sat alongside any more advanced qualifications.

I really think you should because a lot of Uni's/college courses, and most jobs require a C and above in English and Mathematics and often Science.

I'm not saying your D is bad, it's probably because your teacher has seen you have the potential to obtain a C because it's *just* missing that crucial C. I don't know why it's always a C they want.

Although it's a hassle, I reckon you should.
  • Options
    i got a D for English Literature at GCSE, does that mean i have to re-sit? no-one has mentioned it to me, and i got my results a year a go.
  • Options
    Alan - it's GCSE.
    This si weird though - I was predicted a BB in science and got DD and haven't been told to resit that instead of English...
  • Options
    i dont think you HAVE to but for some A-Levels and degrees and jobs too i think they like you to have at least a C in english so it could be worth thinking about it. it all depends what you want to do really. if you think you're capable of doing better then id give it a go.
  • Options
    I think it's only English Language Olaola, don't worry!

Chart Freak, resitting Science involves modular exams and practicals and lots of theory and is hard to resit. It's also more important to have English and they probably don't wanna overload you with loads of GCSE's you've already done.

Have a go, you've done most of it already. And I imagine you can just submit the same coursework essays you've already done. At my school it was only one hour a week, and it'll open a lot of doors if you have it.
  • Options
    yup, agreed. english and maths GCSE are important to a lot of employers, so if your teachers think you are capable of getting a C, you should really think about having a go.
  • Options
    You've got a D already so I imagine a C is within your reach - you probably just need some tips regarding exam technique to boost your mark one higher.

If you're doing AS Levels this year or another course then doing the "harder" exams will probably make your English seem easier. Plus you won't have to worry about 9 other subjects which bugged me when I did my GCSEs.
  • Options
    if you've always worked at a D then you're obviously going to have to work hard to do any better, and to do that you need to be motivated. i got an E first time in my maths gcse and ended up re-sitting it 3 more times...so i did it 4 in total :\ i only ever came out with a D and i gave up in the end. i'll do it at some point, but when i want to or really need to.
  • Options
    Did you find it affected your later choices or did you get away with not having it?
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    Did you find it affected your later choices or did you get away with not having it?

well i'm only 20. but i got into uni without it, but that's only 'cause my uni didn't have it as a necessary requirement. i did want to go to a different uni originally but they asked for it at C or above. i could've done it again, yes. but 5 times in a short number of years is too much when i struggle with it anyway and i'm perfectly happy at the uni i'm at. whether i'll need it when i come to get a 'proper' job, i don't know.
  • Options
    I agree doing the same exam so many times is just gonna frustrate you and make you not want to do it again.

I never had a problem with Maths but my brother re-sat over and over. I don't think he ever got his C but he's now a Business Studies teacher.

Meaning everything I've said is utter bollocks. Hehe just kidding.
  • Options
    english or english language and maths are the 2 key subjects at gcse.
    not getting a grade c in either could be detrimental if you want to do any future study post-gcse. ask your teacher how the exams/coursework/both would work out doing a resit. but tbh imo you are probably better getting it out of the way now and redoing it now, rather than a few years down the line when you want to do something and need to have a min of a grade c as a qualification. :)