Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Confuzzled about options

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello, just got AS level results- AABC.

Thinking about Unis...

I have always maintained I don't want to move out of my home (Peterborough) for many reasons- not least because I have a habit of planning big things (and I can plan REALLY well) and then pulling out just before or at the start of them. Also I suffer from Emetaphobia BIG TIME, and couldn't live with tons of students in close quarters.

Trouble is there arn't many unis round here; ones within a reasonable distance are pretty low in the league tables; the OU looks ok- but doesn't do precisely what I'd like to study.

Have thought about getting a 'part-time' job (at a school/charity sort of place) and working for my degree 'part-time' and completing it over 4 years- which might mean I could commute a bit further as it'd only be perhaps once a week and therefore more manageable; however I wouldn't want to take less than 4 years.

I also don't really know whta I want to study- did want to do Englihs...but now swaying towards sociology and Citizneship teaching.

Trouble is my parents and borther went away for 18 days and left me along and I loved it- so am looking to move out into a flat before the end of a degree (preferably) however; haven't a clue money-wise or anything like this? I'm not a really sociable person which concerns me with OU; and I'd love student holidays etc.... AHHHHHH.

Any ideas? I've spent so long researching it I'm getting way too complicated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't you go to uni, get your own flat there, paid for with your student loan and part time earnings? You don't have to live in a student area, and it's only in lectures that you have big groups of students. Seminars are smaller groups of 10-20 students. It depends on the course you do: I only had one big lecture a week in the first year and was generally taught in small groups.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I'd cope with moving out straight away- and would living in a flat be alot more exspensive than student accomodation?

How many times/hours did you have to be in uni for per week?
  • Options
    It would be a bit more expensive but if you really don't want to share with other people you have to pay for the luxury. I hate sharing but don't have any choice as I can't afford to get my own place at the moment.

It depends on your course. Arts courses have less "uni" hours as you have to do more independent study/reading. I was in about 4 days out of 5, but many people are in less. It's quite possible to work a few days whilst at uni (not in the third year though)
  • Options
    could you share a house with other students? that would work out cheaper and you wouldnt have to share with THAT many- maybe 4 of you? Some Unis provide this type of accomodation anyway.
  • Options
    notebookkt wrote:
    Any ideas? I've spent so long researching it I'm getting way too complicated!
    may be thats the problem.
    living as a student at uni doesn't mean you'd be crammed in with other students at all, unless you opt for living in halls. like Kat_B said, you could always rent a house / flat with a few other students... and a lot of students live like that.
  • Options
    I don't know about where you're going but cities have a "private hall student scheme" thing where it's like halls, but broken down into flats with 3-5 people. Maybe living with three people wouldn't be too bad.

You might find the experience very good for you and boost your sense of independence. Isn't Emetaphobia the fear of vomiting? I guess that depends on the student, but most people won't actually be sick on you.
  • Options
    The Emet thing is fear of lilving with people generally cos of cathing everything going... and sounds and generally just. Well. no.

I'm thinking again about a commute to london- but p/t- does anyuone know apprx how many attendences we're talking and the best unis from train stations?
  • Options
    notebookkt wrote:
    The Emet thing is fear of lilving with people generally cos of cathing everything going... and sounds and generally just. Well. no.

it sounds scary, but it's a good way of getting used to it. if you want to teach you're going to have to be around lots of potential bugs all day long.

perhaps uni housing departments might be able to find you a flat on your own, if you explain the situation? it's worth a try.

don't let fear put you off doing what you want to do.