Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

work permits for footballers...how do they work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
so my club has had 2 work permits turned down in as many weeks....how do they judge.

case no1: Artin Sakiri...it WBA squad for 2 years, played international football (including being captain) 30+ years age.. work permit rejected. (macedonian)

case no2: Luton Shelton...20 years of age, played for Jamaica umpteen times, at all levels...permit rejected.

we are a team where we need players and both would be guarenteed first team football.

whats going on..no really whats going on..im not gonna turn this into a immigration issue, but these people are guarenteed work! what the fuck! it pisses me off! it really does.

now Sakiri is playing in denmark, part of the EU...supposed to be same rules...but NO!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I dont know if it is the same for footballers, but when you are employing a non EU citzen you have to prove that you have looked in the EU and that no one in the EU you could reasonably find could do the same job.
    I thought that they had to have played the in 70% of their countires last games or a special case (e.g. junihio when he went back to middlesbrough) or extrememly talented youngster
    They have to have played 70% of their country's games.

That country has to be in the top 70 FIFA-ranked countries.

Exceptions can be made for players of exceptional ability, such as Juninho.

You have to reasonably show that that quality of player is not available as an EU national. For most lower-league clubs that isn't the case, especially given how many footballers are out of work.
    Kermit wrote:

That country has to be in the top 70 FIFA-ranked countries.

Oh yeah forgot that one, thats why liverpool coudlnt get that Chilean mifielder
    thats the thing tho, the one that has annoyed me is this Luton Shelton one, he's 20 years of age, played for his country for the last 2 years, Jamaica are in the top40 fifa rankings etc..but still rejected..its just our luck, if this was man utd i bet there wouldnt be a problem, but then again they would probably just buy their way out of it
    Immigration laws are all bollocks, full stop......