Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tebbit Attacks Islam

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The views widely held by the Islamic community are problematic for social democracy, there's really no two ways about it, and it's hard to see the way forward, other than the diminishing of belief.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    The views widely held by the Islamic community are problematic for social democracy, there's really no two ways about it, and it's hard to see the way forward, other than the diminishing of belief.

Which views are these?
  • Options
    Which views are these?

Most religious views are problematic for any progressive society.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    hear hear!
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:

I don't think most religious views are problematic to the progression of society. In fact i think a lot of religious views would progress society further if they were to be adhered to. I think that of late there has been a lot of emphasis and attention on the problems that are caused by religion (and only small parts of it most of the time) and it's easy to forget the positive aspects of it.
  • Options
    I don't think most religious views are problematic to the progression of society. In fact i think a lot of religious views would progress society further if they were to be adhered to. I think that of late there has been a lot of emphasis and attention on the problems that are caused by religion (and only small parts of it most of the time) and it's easy to forget the positive aspects of it.

Really? So mistreatment of women, antagonistic cultures, sectarianism, promoting the continuance of the status-quo, persecution of homosexuals and instilling a sense of shame in humanity leads to a progressive society?

Islamic states forcing women to wear shawls, executions for adultery, the Vatican's anti-condom stance...that's all really helpful, eh?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Really? So mistreatment of women, antagonistic cultures, sectarianism, promoting the continuance of the status-quo, persecution of homosexuals and instilling a sense of shame in humanity leads to a progressive society?

Islamic states forcing women to wear shawls, executions for adultery, the Vatican's anti-condom stance...that's all really helpful, eh?

Loving your neighbour, turning the other cheek, forgiveness, do unto others...

We could trade negative for positive all day long if you like.
  • Options
    Loving your neighbour, turning the other cheek, forgiveness, do unto others...

Are not things that come from religion only (though you could say the same about the negative aspects)
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Are not things that come from religion only (though you could say the same about the negative aspects)

For sure, but they are promoted by it.
  • Options
    I don't think so.

500 years ago pretty much everyone in Britain would have counted themselves a Christian.

Were those values more prevalent then than now? I doubt it very much to be honest..........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't think so.

500 years ago pretty much everyone in Britain would have counted themselves a Christian.

Were those values more prevalent then than now? I doubt it very much to be honest..........

I'm not arguing for the prevailence of the message or how much they're adhered to. I'm saying that these are idea promoted by the Christian church.

Go to church on a Sunday and see what is being preached.
  • Options
    But what on earth is the point if the message is not adhered to?
  • Options
    During the Olympics last year on a British football site I noticed that quite a few posters who were discussing Amir Khan said they would be rooting for his opposition as they couldn't bring themselves to support an Asian.

Did they fail Tebbits test and are they integrated? :chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spliffie wrote:

'cept Buddhism.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    But what on earth is the point if the message is not adhered to?

So we should only have moral stands which everyone sticks to?

The whole point is that the message is a goal to aim for, a standard to achieve. Unless you believe in the lowest common denominator rules...
  • Options
    No but I am saying that as a wya of promoting certain moral values then religion must be judged a complete failure because as far as I can tell religious people are not more moral (even by their own standards) and more religious societies aren't either.........