Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

bad experience with speed

I was at a festival this weekend, and although I was caning it a lot, we all were doing Es and drinking lots, but on the last day we got a little bit of speed as well - this was the first time id done it in 5 years, I used to do it an awful lot but gave it up. As soon as I started feeling it, I regretted it. I went from feeling great, to just feeling weird, and not being able to think properly, I tried to get into it a bit but obviously couldnt sleep that night and we had to go home in the morning. When wed packed up and went, we thought we`d have just a tiny bit, just to keep us awake but not enough to make us properly speedy or anything. It didnt do anything after an hour and a half, so we did another small bomb. About half an hour after that came the worst ever experience. I felt like I couldnt breathe, I just couldnt get enough air in, was hot and cold, then I started getting pins and needles all up my arms and especially my hands. I was thinking, shit, somethings happening to my heart, my circulation isnt working. Then my hands went into spasm and I couldnt move them. My fingers looked bent up at the ends and were completely paralysed. I was absolutely petrified, I was feeling sick and I just didnt know what to do, I was screaming at mrB to take me to a hospital as I thought I was having a heart attack! He told me that he didnt think i should go to hospital, because id just had too much speed when I wasnt used to it anymore and if I went to the hospital, it would be on my record and I could potentially get chucked off my course. He gave me one of his valiums instead to try and relax me and relax the muscles in my hands and said wed see how I felt when I was home. When we got home, I tried to walk out of the car and I couldnt. He had to carry me in.
Ive never felt so ill or frightened ever in my life. Ive had bad experiences of various drugs, but never like that. Really scary. Im not sure if it was just the culmination of not much sleep, lots of Es and everything with that on top, but I was feeling fine before I had the speed, apart from feeling tired.
Couldnt sleep during the day, even though I was completely fucked and dead tired. Could barely even sit upright, let alone walk.
its only this afternoon that I can even sit up for short periods (hence being able to write on here).
Has anyone ever had anything like this or know whether ive likely done myself permanent damage?
I know the guy I got it off, im wondering if it was a dodgy batch, or whether I OD`d even though I only took a small amount in quantity.
Is there such a thing as amphetamine poisoning?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, there is amphetamine poisoning, its basically like the amphetamine experience but hightened way beyond pleasure to the point of massive over hearting, huge CNS stimulation etc.

The circulation issues and the hot and cold make it sound a little like meth, but meth should kick in much quicker than you describe.

Its totally up to you whether or not to go to Hospital but I dont think it should affect your nursing course, medical records are very private and I doubt the course would be able to know.
    If I feel like im starting to get better now, do you still think its worth going? I know for a fact im never touching speed again.
    I didnt actually get any pleasurable feelings from it at all. Nor did Mr Brite, he just felt hot and cold and sweaty, but nowhere near what I had.
    There are certainly some bits which sound like amphetamine but others that dont, it almost sounds like a big OD on something like ephedrine.

I cant possibly tell you whether a hospital visit is a good idea or not, but it could be a good idea to get yourself checked out, just in case. Are you doing your course at your local hospital?
    my placement is at my local hospital. There is a reasonable chance I would be recognised, I have two friends that work in A&E. Yesterday I just didnt care though, I was so frightened.
    If I went to my doctor, then the hospital wouldnt have the notes then would they, unless they needed them specifically?
    If you think it wasnt speed, do you know of anywhere I can get it checked out, because I still have most of it left. We really were only doing tiny bits. I was trying to err on the side of caution.
    Ive read up what i could find on google on amphetamine posioning, and it says they usually sedate people, so it looks like taking that Valium was the right thing to do. When my hands got paralysed like that It was the scariest thing ever, I was crying my eyes out.
    Normally what they do too is try and flush out the amphetamine with someone acidic, you can do that youself with vitamin C, though it should be gone already by now.

If you are going to hospital or your doctor keeping a little sample might be useful, that way they can get it tested and see what it is. But maybe get rid of most of it if you are going to keep it.
    I've had exactly the same thing happen, I think it happens with speed thats been really heavily cut with ephedrine. It used to make me have the symptoms you described and massive panic attacks. It doesn't happen with all speed just certain batches.
    TOMO wrote:
    I've had exactly the same thing happen, I think it happens with speed thats been really heavily cut with ephedrine. It used to make me have the symptoms you described and massive panic attacks. It doesn't happen with all speed just certain batches.
    I guess thats a possibility, although im sure ephidrine is yellow, and this stuff was white.
    The stuff I had was white and had a slightly different smell to most of the yellow phet I'd had before. Colouring maybe? Unless it contained a huge amount of caffiene? You can't say for sure but I'm sure as hell it was ephedrine. It also gave me like real mini headrushes which was like a wave of anxiety... freaky shit.
    I had quite a similar experience at the festival I was at this year, took a few E's then towards the end of the night done a load of speed, I think I knew I took too much then I dwelt on it too much, making me sort of freak out occassionally, then when trying to get to sleep I didn't realise I wasn't breathing until my body just shook for a few seconds then I took a weak breath, lasted for a good 6 hours, that was the first night, just drank after that.
    sounds like a severe panic attack to me
    I used to cain huge amounts of speed every weekend for about 5 years, and for the last 2 of those I was completely numb down one side of my face, and a portion of one of my legs went numb too, not to mention that my hands and feet were always cold, and had pins and needles :eek:

...the very thought of taking the stuff now makes me feel physically sick :yuck:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    sounds like a severe panic attack to me
    That's what I thought too Blagsta...
    I hope it was because then i wont have damaged myself, but I really dont think thats what it was. I only started panicking BECAUSE of the physical symptoms.
    Im convinced now I overdosed on the speed even though it didnt look like much in quantity, I was also really dehydrated, and hadnt slept much all weekend, and not at all the night before it happened. I think my body just couldnt take any more.
    Ephadrine to my knowledge can be a white powder, and if its pure then even a small dab would pack a big punch. The dose for amphetamine is only about 50mg, which is a small amount of powder.
    About half an hour after that came the worst ever experience. I felt like I couldnt breathe, I just couldnt get enough air in, was hot and cold, then I started getting pins and needles all up my arms and especially my hands. I was thinking, shit, somethings happening to my heart, my circulation isnt working. Then my hands went into spasm and I couldnt move them. My fingers looked bent up at the ends and were completely paralysed. I was absolutely petrified, I was feeling sick and I just didnt know what to do

that is so freaky becuz august 13th this year i was at the caravan nad the same thing happened to me :eek: my fingers were all bent up i cudnt breathe, i really freaked my lass out and my 2 pals. i had to put both my hands over my mouth i was breathing in and out that loud and didnt wanna wake me other pal up who was in the caravan. it took roughly 45 minutes for mine to calm down, i didnt have no valiums :no: and i have vowed never to touch speed again. it happened before on E's as well back in may but ive took them loads of times since then and had them saturday just gone and was fine so im just gonna stick with the lil fellaz ;):p

also forgot to say we had £10 of speed between 3 of we're thats all!
    speed is pants.
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    speed is pants.

each to their own ;p
    i go with blafsta on this.

caused by a massive stimulation your no longer used to.

plus ...there could of course have been all sorts of crap in it that your reasonably healthy bodies were fighting against in shock and horror!

i had a love affair with amphetamine to the point where it almost destroyed me.

had none for years and then mistakingly remebered only the 'good' times on it ...as i shoved another dose in ...i did so knowing i was making a mistake ...hated myself for a week.
    felyt dirty and ill.
    Haha, you've just reminded me of myself everytime I take it.
    I only remember the good times and end up regretting it or re-dosing for a few days.
    TOMO wrote:
    Haha, you've just reminded me of myself everytime I take it.
    I only remember the good times and end up regretting it or re-dosing for a few days.
    when those good times take over your conversation ...do you find your actualy getting high?

i do.
    i have learned to mostly master those moments by labeling the experience ...'euphoric recall'.

a symptom of the human condition as a whole but ...a little more dangerous for a clean addict.
    Yes there is no feeling quite like it, its a great feeling, but one that comes from within. Kinda weird, and while it doesn't feel like the real thing (drug)... you feel stimulated, and you get those happy tinglies.

I like the feeling after you've had a really good night as well and the next day you hear a tune you heard in the club or you and your mates are talking about how good something was and you feel like your rushing to fcuk. :D
    I get a similar thing when I talk about acid, it kind of brings on a mild flashback and sometimes I change the subject cos I start to feel a bit weird. I can taste it too, this unique taste I remember it leaving in your mouth. I haven't even touched the stuff in years and it still happens.
    When I've took acid I've never noticed a taste as such its just very slightly bitter. I used to get this weird smell of pills though when I used to cain em, used to make me freak out a bit coz I thought it smelt like death. :eek2:
    I've only ever had it twice, first time was alright, enjoyed myself, second time didn't really do much for me. So I just stopped and i've only ever smoked weed since
    speed used to make me very paranoid, espically when i was with my ex girlfriend

the day after a lot of speed i became very paranoid about something and i started getting a tingling starting in my hands, it spread up my arms then all over the top half of my body

it might have been a nice feeling if i wasnt freaking the fuck out and taking real big deep breaths hoping it would go away

i guess it was some sort of panic attack