Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The only good child is up a chimney

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Once again have to agree with Ballerina, on the whole im a fairly good, well behaved teenager, i have my moments, but who doesn't. What i hate is how people meet a few neds/chavs and automatically assume that because the majoprity of brainless idiots are like, doesn't mean all teenagers are.

Perhaps in the same way someone sees a few kids acting up and tars them all with the same brush? Not just them but their parents and their parenting ability?
    As for the bad parenting reason why children have no authority, it's almost certain that those parents never had a proper childhood themselves, that their parents were failures to a degree also. It's quite a nasty cycle and I believe it all goes back to class and economics but thats just my opinion.
    I've just read through all of this for the first time, and I think some people seem to have forgotten what it was like being a child. I used to love going out with my parents, even food shopping, it was something we did together. For some families, doing things like going to the shops or whatever might be the one of the only times that the parents get to see each other if they both work different times or something. I get annoyed with naughty children, yes, but who doesn't? Even the parents do sometimes. Also, seeing a child misbehave for 5 minutes time in the supermarket is a pretty small time frame to judge how naughty they are/aren't.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've just read through all of this for the first time, and I think some people seem to have forgotten what it was like being a child.
    :yes: :yes:
    I think most people do, unfortunately.
    Some kids can be pains in the arse but lifes a pisser, you cant really accuse the parents half the time their mortified if theor child is causing so much attention.

Theres a little boy down the end of the road who evey day this summer holidays he has spent looking out of his window, either he has no-one to play with or his mum wont let him out. How sad is that? when your 9 all you wanna do is go out and play and it troubles me much more that hes inside rather than outside making a bit of noise.
    Its not really the kids that are the problem, its the parents. The kids learn how to behave from the parents.

kids do my head in a little, when they act bratty i feel like telling them to shut up but its not my place to say so, its the parents.

You get some kids that decide to try it on and throw a tantrum and the parents will deal with it well, the kid may carry on making noise but at the same time the kid is learning it wont get anywhere by throwing tantrums and eventually stops.

then you get others where the parents dont give a shit, working in a supermarket i have seen mothers telling their toddlers to "fuck off", "piss off" "shut the fuck up" etc etc. And its parents like that which piss me off, if they treat their children like that they dont deserve to have them. How can a kid grow up to be well mannered and respectible when their own parent is swearing at them from such a young age? They just let their kids run riot and dont even attempt at stopping them, or teaching them any principles/manners.
    I quote Bill Bryson from my graduation speech.

"Whatever you do, don't whinge. It's awful and, quite frankly, it doesn't become you. No-one will ever like you more for it, think of you more fondly, nor invite you to parties for being such a fantastic whinger."
    ginner wrote:

"Whatever you do, don't whinge. It's awful and, quite frankly, it doesn't become you. No-one will ever like you more for it, think of you more fondly, nor invite you to parties for being such a fantastic whinger."
    -yawn-
    -yawn-

How dare you disrespect Bill!

He's a chuffing legend.
    If ya don't like the thread, don't read it... simple as.
    If ya don't like the thread, don't read it... simple as.

I was contributing. I'm training to be a primary school teacher, I like kids. Rather than complaining you should learn to appreciate and understand them. Or develop a teacher stare. :eek:
    Another thread for p&d - and remember, if you post your views people got a right to challenge them - otherwise this'd just be a big room of people talking to themselves.
    Rather than complaining you should learn to appreciate and understand them.

Never!

Children are my mortal enemy!
    ginner wrote:
    I was contributing. I'm training to be a primary school teacher, I like kids. Rather than complaining you should learn to appreciate and understand them. Or develop a teacher stare. :eek:
    You weren't contributing anymore than if you went on any other thread and told them to stop whinging about capitalism.

You are contributing by saying accept kids. But there's a difference between a well behaved kid who will sit down in a resteraunt and a noisy one that's running all over the place (perhaps when I'm in Kingston, whic is less rough than Wrexham there will be a difference). The other night I was in a resteraunt for example and we sat down and a family sat down beside us, around six adults and two children. The kids ended up banging their cutlery against the table, yelling, standing up on their chairs. Nobody said anything and you'd imagine a family would have the dignity to at least try and get their kids to shut up.

On the other hand there was a young man looking after two children by himself, a toddler and a baby and whilst they did make kiddy noises obviously (the little one thought she lost daddy in the que lol) they were as good as gold. Why can one man look after two children and a whole family cannot keep control of the same amount?
    Because not everyone's the same?

They're kids ... they get bored or tired and they play up. That doesn't mean their parents are doing a shit job or that the kids are little, out of control, rittlin popping, maniacs!

In the same way that not every teenager is a lightweight, lippy little thieving shit.

I prefer to see kids having a good time than sitting meekly in a corner and not speaking unless they're spoken to
    ginner wrote:

Oh, the irony. Bill Bryson is one of the biggest moaners going. A very witty and amusing moaner, but a moaner nonetheless.

Anyway.

I'm in two minds about this whole thing.

It's great to see kids out on the street in summer making loads of noise, pissing off the old ladies, and generally having a great crack of it. Much better than having them all sat inside playing Playstation. It's great to see them in family pubs and restaurants having fun and enjoying themselves.

It's not great when they are creating and carrying-on because they are tired, bored and want to go home. That's where the problems start. They do things to piss mummy off so they get to go home. They piss me off by throwing food. They piss me off when it takes me four times longer to get round Asda because they get in my way when I'm in a hurry.

It's a fine line between them having fun and ruining my fun, I think. Well-behaved boisterousness I can live with, I think it's great, but bad behaviour really rankles with me. I just wish they wouldn't play football against my gate.
    Kermit wrote:
    Oh, the irony. Bill Bryson is one of the biggest moaners going. A very witty and amusing moaner, but a moaner nonetheless.

He is actually very dull in real life though, I heard him give a talk years ago and he was rubbish, very slow and boring.