Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UCAS reference / personal statement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
1. I need a reference for my UCAS form.

It is four years since I left sixth form and so I can't really ask them to do one for me since they don't know me anymore!

I asked my manager at work and she refused because she said she can't assess my suitability for higher education given that I'm currently off sick from work with mental health problems.

Who does that leave? I can't think of a single other person in the whole world to do one for me.

I've emailed the three universties I am applying too asking for their advice but at the moment I'm beginning to tear my hair out! Eek. :crazyeyes :eek2:

2. Would anyone be willing to share their personal statements with me? If you don't want to post them here perhaps you could PM me for my email address?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    How about one of your OU tutors? (I assume you had occasional seminars? ) Or a tutor you got on with at your old uni?

Failing that, why not try your old 6th form - you're probably not as forgettable as you think :)
  • Options
    Meryn, we did have seminars but I didn't go to any of them so I've never met any of the tutors. :( It's also been over two years since I left uni and even when I was there I doubt any of the tutors would have known who I was, lol!

The whole process is doing my head in already and I can't even send off my form until September 1st!
  • Options
    Get Jim to write you one
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Get Jim to write you one

MrG, that really isn't very constructive. Can you keep your irreverence in anything goes? :(
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    we did have seminars but I didn't go to any of them so I've never met any of the tutors. :( It's also been over two years since I left uni and even when I was there I doubt any of the tutors would have known who I was, lol!

it shouldn't matter whether you attended them or not. your past performance in your work, would be enough to assess your ability for higher education, in an acedemic sense, even if 2 years have passed by!

wait for a reply from the universities you have contacted on this matter and see what they advise you do. but personally, i'd say your OU tutors would be the best people to comment.

if you then need a character reference to go with that (rather than an acedemic one) - so the uni's you're applying to have a full picture of you so to speak, your boss shouldn't have any problems with doing that if they've known you for a while. your current health shouldn't influence their opinion of you as a person. - how long have you been off work anyway???

the other thing is if you do any other activities like sport, or you're in a club or society or anything. you could ask your coach or trainer or "teacher" to write you a character reference instead of your boss. or anyone in a professional position who knows what kind of person you are and would be willing to comment.

then give in the acedemic reference and character reference as one. - sorted! ;)
  • Options
    No reason given. Newcastle uni emailed me back to say:
    We do pay attention to references, but we generally pay much more
    attention to the personal statement. Having said that, we would
    expect to see something by way of a reference.

It may well be that even if they were willing, your employer would
    not be the person best suited to give you a reference. Since you have
    some experience of degree study, a reference from one of your OU tutors would be most appropriate. I would suggest that you approach the tutor
    who you think knows you and your work best.

So I contacted my OU tutor who said:
    It would not be appropriate for me to provide the reference for you as I have not seen enough of your work to ascertain your suitability for a history degree. I would advise you to contact UCAS to discuss your position and wish you the best of luck in the future.

:eek2: :crying:

I feel like I've finally made a decision about what to do with my life and where I want to be heading and then something happens to block that. Grmph!

I've now decided to ask my old history teacher from school / sixth form. She taught me for five years so she should (hopefully) remember me. All I need is something short saying I'm suitable to study history. Since I eventually would like to teach the subject I think I will ask her if I can do some classroom observation at the same time.
  • Options
    I applied for a history degree and just finished my first year, you can see my personal statement if you are still looking.
  • Options
    I applied for a history degree and just finished my first year, you can see my personal statement if you are still looking.

That would be wonderful! My email address is *edited* as already received junk from some idiot here less than ten minutes later!

Thanks so much, promise I won't copy, hehe!
  • Options
    I probably wont have it for a couple of days though if thats ok, as it is still packed in a box, I'm unpacking this weekend so it should surface then.
  • Options
    okay. then waht about any other doctor at the surgery where you work - i'm sure they would know you both as a person and professionally. they don't have to be the most high ranking... i.e. your "boss" to comment.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    okay. then waht about any other doctor at the surgery where you work - i'm sure they would know you both as a person and professionally. they don't have to be the most high ranking... i.e. your "boss" to comment.

The person I asked is my manager rather than the GP whose practice it is. The GP I work for won't give anyone a reference for medical legal reasons so it's down to the practice manager to do that kind of thing and she's the one who has refused. Sorry if it seems I'm just pushing aside your suggestions, I'm really not meaning to. (I only work for one GP, it's a single handed practice)
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I've now decided to ask my old history teacher from school / sixth form. She taught me for five years so she should (hopefully) remember me. All I need is something short saying I'm suitable to study history. Since I eventually would like to teach the subject I think I will ask her if I can do some classroom observation at the same time.

That sounds like a good plan - try your old 6th form tutor as well :)

I must admit, I was stunned by the response from your OU tutor - surely she marked at least a couple of TMAs?! What a cow.
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    That sounds like a good plan - try your old 6th form tutor as well :)

I must admit, I was stunned by the response from your OU tutor - surely she marked at least a couple of TMAs?! What a cow.

Yeah she did. I was studying sociology though so I'm assuming her comment "I have not seen enough of your work to ascertain your suitability for a history degree" refers to that. *sigh* Meanie!
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Yeah she did. I was studying sociology though

And??? I got a history tutor to be a referee for my Public Policy masters application and in turn when I foolhardily applied to Sheffield to do an MPhil/PhD in History my Public Policy dissertation supervisor wrote a reference for that.

It sounds like she just couldn't be bothered tbh. Hopefully you'll have more joy with your history teacher....
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    It sounds like she just couldn't be bothered tbh. Hopefully you'll have more joy with your history teacher....

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think she found it easy to say no knowing she'll never have to face me and say no personally. Anyone can type some spiel in an email. :(