Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Returning to studying - some advice needed!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I studied at Durham university for two academic years (2001-2003), left and now work in a GPs surgery and I'm studying towards a degree with the Open University.

I've been thinking a lot recently about going back to university (most probably Northumbria or Newcastle) to study for a history degree, with the eventual aim of becoming a history teacher.

When I applied to uni the first time around I was told what to do and when by the teachers at sixth form. They even went as far as to get our UCAS forms for us and contact our LEAs.

I'm a bit rusty about the application process so I was hoping that some of you who have more recent experience of applying could help me.

Do I contact my LEA for help with my finances?
How likely is it that they will fund another degree attempt given that I dropped out of my first attempt? (Anyone had a second attempt funded?)
Who can supply a reference for my UCAS form? All the teachers from sixth form won't remember me by now so all I can think of is my employer giving me a reference... is that acceptable?

I've had a quick glance at the UCAS website and apparently you can't apply in paper form anymore! :eek2: How things change! I'm also really confused by the new points system that has been introduced. :eek:

It all seems so complicated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    hiya!

I left my first course (I don't like the term dropped out!) and had no problems at all getting my second degree funded. However I have a feeling they only fund you for 4 years..maybe enquire at your local LEA to find out.

Remember it all changes from next year to the new system: no up front fees, but you pay it back afterwards, plus there is a grant for some students.

I got my reference from one of my tutors from the course I left.

Ummm that's all I can think of for now but good luck. You're at an advantage knowing all your results from A levels etc, as you can only get unconditional offers.
  • Options
    I have another question... I remember when I filled in all the forms for financial help the last time around I had to declare my parents income, which is fair enough, but this time around will I have to declare what I currently earn, even though once I start the course I won't be doing the full time job I do now (and will thus be skint, lol)

It's all so complicated, I don't know how you all get through it!
  • Options
    Think you will still have to put your parents income, as you live at home. I wouldn't have thought your current earnings count.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Do I contact my LEA for help with my finances?
    :yes:
    BumbleBee wrote:
    How likely is it that they will fund another degree attempt given that I dropped out of my first attempt? (Anyone had a second attempt funded?)
    i think if you dropped out at the end of the 1st year, you're guaranteed the same help as if you hadn't started a degree at all wrt tuition fees. best bet is to ask your LEA for advice. i think you're entitled to 75% of a loan regardless of anything. the other 25% is means tested on income. so, the only issue is likely to be with tuition fees. - if you get the forms and the accompanying booklets, they are pretty self explanatory tbh.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Who can supply a reference for my UCAS form? All the teachers from sixth form won't remember me by now so all I can think of is my employer giving me a reference... is that acceptable?
    :yes: or you could get one of the open university tutors to make a reference for you.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I've had a quick glance at the UCAS website and apparently you can't apply in paper form anymore! :eek2: How things change! I'm also really confused by the new points system that has been introduced. :eek:
    both the ucas website and university prospectus' detail the 'old' system. if you know where you want to go, either check out the ucas website online or check out the prospectus of the university you want to go to.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I remember when I filled in all the forms for financial help the last time around I had to declare my parents income, which is fair enough, but this time around will I have to declare what I currently earn, even though once I start the course I won't be doing the full time job I do now
    if you are under 25 you'll have to declare your parents income.
    if you have been working for 3 years yourself you'll only have to declare your income, not your parents, even if you are under 25.
    if you've been earning, you'll need to declare your income regardless.
  • Options
    I emailed my LEA and apparently, unless there were exceptional circumstances for leaving my first course (illness, bereavement etc) then they won't pay towards my tuition fees for another degree attempt, although I will "still be assessed for a student loan and any additional maintenance grants for living costs."

Looks like I'd better start asking for overtime at work! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Try pushing the boat a bit- normally they give you up to four years tuition fee support, and you only had two.

I know people who have had sceond attempts funded, although they have had depression problems which is why they dropped out.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Try pushing the boat a bit- normally they give you up to four years tuition fee support, and you only had two.

I know people who have had sceond attempts funded, although they have had depression problems which is why they dropped out.

I'm planning on writing them a letter with my application stating the reasons I 'dropped out'. Hopefully they'll be enough to convince them.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I emailed my LEA and apparently, unless there were exceptional circumstances for leaving my first course (illness, bereavement etc) then they won't pay towards my tuition fees for another degree attempt, although I will "still be assessed for a student loan and any additional maintenance grants for living costs."

Looks like I'd better start asking for overtime at work! :crazyeyes

Yeah when they say your fees won't be paid they don't mean you will just have to pay the extra £1k or what ever it is now - thats the full whack - which i guess is about £4000 a year - depending on your course for some engineering ones its as much as £20,000 - though i'm sure history isn't very expensive.

HOWEVER - not to be too disheartinging - if you want to be a teacher eventually - i'd suggest looking into doing teaching with history rather than history and then a PGCE - because i think they may well pay your course fees for that - i've a friend who is doing midwiffery (similar kind of thing they need medical staff like they need teachers) and even though she had done a 1st degree and then a PGCE they still pay for her place - so its worth investigating and not giving up hope.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Yeah when they say your fees won't be paid they don't mean you will just have to pay the extra £1k or what ever it is now - thats the full whack - which i guess is about £4000 a year - depending on your course for some engineering ones its as much as £20,000 - though i'm sure history isn't very expensive.

HOWEVER - not to be too disheartinging - if you want to be a teacher eventually - i'd suggest looking into doing teaching with history rather than history and then a PGCE - because i think they may well pay your course fees for that - i've a friend who is doing midwiffery (similar kind of thing they need medical staff like they need teachers) and even though she had done a 1st degree and then a PGCE they still pay for her place - so its worth investigating and not giving up hope.

No university near me does a four year course that would simply enable me to train to be a history teacher, or I would apply for that straight out, trust me! The fees for the course I want to do are £3000 a year, and I would be eligible for the student loan to pay for these. I already owe the SLC about £6k so I'm hoping to save up a lot this next year in order to make it easier for myself. I'm not put off by the fees, I've always agreed with tuition fees and I'm not going to change my mind now. I'll just have to work harder for what I want.
  • Options
    out of interest tho. wouldn't it be cheaper to cont. studying for your degree with the ou?!