Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

surreal.... but also a good thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as most of you are aware ive had a liver transplant at the beginning of this year which i think was down to pills, now this wasnt confirmed or anything it was just a strong feeling of mine seeing as i did get very ill just after i'd taken two pills

anyway, yesterday i received an email from someone who was doing a google search on liver transplants and MDMA and found one of my posts i had made on the drugs forum and emailed me via these boards. It turns out that this person who emailed me (a 24 year old female) has also had to have a liver transplant and she thinks it was due to pills as well, and we were talking for like 4 hours.

now there isnt any real point in this post, i just made me more aware that these drugs can cause serious damage and it was nice to talk to someone else about it whos had exactly the same experience as i had.. as up until now i was the only person i knew that had their lives nearly destroyed by mdma... and its nice to know that i'm not the only one... (well its not nice to know that but its nice that theres someone out there i can talk to)

now i know theres no proof that what we experienced was down to pills, but in all honesty it certainly looks that way, after us becoming ill just after we've taken pills.

as i said theres no point to this thread, its just nice that because of these boards ive been put in contact with someone whos had a very similar experience to me because of pills (we think).

So i'd think twice the next time you go to take a pill ;p

Sorry if ive babbled a bit ;p

jake.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Very interesting.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good on you for sharing this!
    Cool it's always good to find someone who's been in the same situation as you like, and while i share your sentiment that something fucked up could happen, the majority of users don't experience that and most wouldn't listen to the advice anyway.
    Shit, sounds a bit worrying - how many did you used to take, were you caning them or do you think it was just down to you taking them a few times.
    Glad to here you're ok.
    odds are as follows....

10 to 1 = not cained
    4 to 5 = cained

place your bets now please!
    odds are as follows....

10 to 1 = not cained
    4 to 5 = cained

place your bets now please!

what?
    Its a tough one really, for just a normal dose of MDMA to do this to a healthy liver seems strange, though it is possible.

What I would say is more likely is that there was some sort of adverse reaction which caused the damage, not that you are allergic to it but something else.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I'm speculating here, but you need to have particular enzymes present in your liver for the MDMA by-products to be broken down. If you had a pre-existing condition that affected these enzymes, it is possible that you could be very badly affected by MDMA. So it may be that the problem was in the body rather than the pill. That's my theory anyway - otherwise you would expect these problems to be more common.

Thanks for posting though Jake, its very interesting and I hope everything is OK with you now.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking LadyJade, a wierd mix of the condition of the liver and the MDMA, just really unlucky and unfortuante chance.

Much like the blood clot which was just floating about the body of the woman I saw nearly die after taking MDMA. Just one of those nasty things that happen.
    jake0 wrote:
    what?
    ....i was drinking and stoned, it doesnt make sense to me either
    yeah it is unlucky :/

anyway its been really nice talking to her, its great to be able to talk to someone whos had the same experience.
    Would you kick up a fuss if I told you I've got your old liver in a jar on my mantlepiece?
    Capacity wrote:
    Would you kick up a fuss if I told you I've got your old liver in a jar on my mantlepiece?

:confused:
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its a tough one really, for just a normal dose of MDMA to do this to a healthy liver seems strange, though it is possible.

What I would say is more likely is that there was some sort of adverse reaction which caused the damage, not that you are allergic to it but something else.

This is something i've been mentioning for months, when i was doing pills regularly i developed sharp pains, as did other people i know. Wondered if it was liver or kidney related, this guy seems to vindicate that theory.
    looks like we're some fatherbeans short of a psychopath...
    Spliffie wrote:
    This is something i've been mentioning for months, when i was doing pills regularly i developed sharp pains, as did other people i know. Wondered if it was liver or kidney related, this guy seems to vindicate that theory.

Sharp pains where? Its always difficult with these things to get a causational link, his liver might have packed up anyway and your pains might not have been your liver.

Does anyone know where MDMA is broken down?
    Jake, I have just found an article on Erowid entitled Liver transplantation for the treatment of fulminant hepatic failure induced by the ingestion of ecstasy. If you click on the full text, you can read some information on other cases of people who have had liver failure after taking E. Thought you might be interested...

Bong, I am looking around to find out - there was a lot of information on the metabolisation of MDMA on Erowid somewhere - maybe in journal articles about the interactions with drugs used to treat HIV? I'm still looking...
    There is a bit in Nicholas Saunders' book E is for Ecstasy about how it works, quoted below -
    When MDMA is swallowed, it is digested in the stomach and enters the blood stream. From there, some of it reaches the brain, but any MDMA that passes through the kidneys is removed and ends up in the urine - two thirds is excreted unchanged while some 7% is 'metabolised' into MDA. Every 6 hours the amount remaining in the body is roughly halved, so that after 24 hours there will be only about 3% left.(38, chapter 9) Other psychoactive drugs are excreted in a similar way, and this enables them to be 'recycled': Siberian reindeer hunters who take fly agaric mushrooms to get high drink each other's urine in order to prolong the effect.(39)
    On a related note I found an interesting report recently suggesting that MDMA damge on the brain isnt directly linked to the amount consumed. In that it gets damaged and then doesnt appear to keep getting damaged.
    bongbudda wrote:
    Sharp pains where? Its always difficult with these things to get a causational link, his liver might have packed up anyway and your pains might not have been your liver.

Does anyone know where MDMA is broken down?

Lower back & abdomen. Was most noticable when I was starting off regular use.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Lower back & abdomen. Was most noticable when I was starting off regular use.

I dont know then, its entirely possible but its not a common side effect.
    Jinx wrote:
    looks like we're some fatherbeans short of a psychopath...

You're forgetting the cianti.
    Oh now I get it.... I think you will find they are Fava beans....
    Hmmm, I'm of mixed opinion about that book, it is an interesting read but there are a few glaring errors in it. (E is for Ecstacy)

And MDMA by itself does not appear to be a neuro toxin, which makes scientists believe that it breaks down into one.
    It is based on 10 year old + research, which is why he has released two further books - admittedly they are biased towards the positives of MDMA though.
    There are sections that are very good, but others that seem a little rushed, though I havent read one of the latest editions, maybe those little teething problems have been ironed out.

As you rightly point out it has got a slant, but not drastically so.
    LadyJade wrote:
    Jake, I have just found an article on Erowid entitled Liver transplantation for the treatment of fulminant hepatic failure induced by the ingestion of ecstasy. If you click on the full text, you can read some information on other cases of people who have had liver failure after taking E. Thought you might be interested...

now thats the scary bit, my liver failure was related to hepatic failure

;<