Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working abroad...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone here worked abroad?

unfortunately my good friend has just parted ways from his dad (who he worked for) as they were not getting along, and we are thinking about doing sometihng a bit crazy and moving away to work, while we are still young etc...

we are thinking of cyprus, we have access to a villa over there where we could stay rent free for possibly 6 months while we got our feet. Theres also lots of English speaking jobs going and no probs working there with its entry into the EU. anyone got any advice or warnings?

obviously i would still have to pay my bills i have back here such as credit cards etc.. but it shouldnt be a prob as jobs aint that badly paid in cyprus. i could also sell the car etc..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my ex's parent had a villa in paphos - cyprus. we considered moving out there but we had too much responsibilities over here.

I love cyprus iv been like 5 times!

which part of cyprus is it? and what kind of work would you do?

go 4 it, sounds wicked to me!
    the villa is close to paphos i believe, looking at possibly working in paphos, limmasol, larnica etc.. been warned againt nicosia tho.

theres plenty of office and customer service jobs going for english speakers it seems so might do something like that, also banking seems to be a profession looking for english people.

personally ive never been to cyprus, but my mates been out to this villa a few times, its a nice villa as well, 4 beds, pool etc.. so could be nice.

the only thing that has me worried at the moment is my debts back here, i have quite a lot of outstanding debt, but i guess as long as im earning i can pay them back from there.
    ahh cyprus is great, ive been to aiya napa, larnaca, paphos, visited the troodos mountains and been to nicosia for like a few hours. nicosia is the hottest bit cos its in the middle of the country.

the people are dead friendly, the crime is so low in paphos and the rest of the country really. their driving is absolutely mental though, we saw a few crashes, and we nearly got run over by a bus once when we were on our moped!

Its a good oppertunity for you though, definately one you should consider!
    im gonna speak to my parents and stuff about it tonight, see what they think about it all. i guess theres nothing to lose, in a crappy job at the moment.

plus ive heard that cypriat ladies are quite beautiful....;)
    koe_182 wrote:
    im gonna speak to my parents and stuff about it tonight, see what they think about it all. i guess theres nothing to lose, in a crappy job at the moment.

plus ive heard that cypriat ladies are quite beautiful....;)
    hehe yeah there are some pretty girls over there.

Well i hope it all works out for you!
    thank you for your encouragement, i hope everything works out. have to see how things go tonight with discussions.