Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Brain Damage Alert Over Shrek Ecstasy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
BRAIN DAMAGE ALERT OVER SHREK ECSTASY

Aug 8 2005

Pills pour into Scotland

By Derek Alexander

DRUG dealers are flooding Scotland with addictive ecstasy pills which cause symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease.

The green-coloured tablet - nicknamed Shrek after the children's movie character - poured into the country before thousands of revellers headed to T in the Park last month.

The ecstasy - or MDMA - pills were the most common drug seized by police at the music festival in Kinross and dealers are selling it for as little as £2 each.

But scientists working for the Daily Record, who analysed Shrek tablets purchased in a Glasgow nightclub, found they also contained methamphetamine.

Misuse of the powerful stimulant drug - also known as meth or speed in its less pure form - affects the central nervous system, causing symptoms similar to the severe movement disorder Parkinson's A technician at the University of Glasgow said: 'Methamphetamine is popular in places like Thailand and Japan and is rarely seen in the UK.

'I've been analysing street drugs for years and have only seen it once before.

'No one should be under the illusion it's a harmless drug and just a bit of fun.'

A police source said: 'The Shrek tablets were first discovered by police at T in the Park.

'We confiscated more of them than any other drug during the festival. We hadn't come across this type of ecstasy tablet up until then.'

The drug which is also known as Yaba - Thai for 'crazy drug' - can keep users awake for days, with some reporting they thought bugs were crawling under their skin.

Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie confessed to once being hooked on the drug.

Her weight dropped so dramatically she told friends she was bulimic instead of admitting she had a drug problem.

Methamphetamine misuse is on the rise on other parts of the world and is widely available in the Far East.

It is mass produced at illegal laboratories in Thailand, Japan and China.

Many users admitted they had switched from taking ecstasy to methamphetamine unaware they could become hooked. At least one in seven get physically addicted.

The drug can be snorted, injected or smoked. Users describe the sensation as a euphoric high similar to MDMA.

Alistair Ramsay, of Scotland Against Drugs, said: 'This illustrates illegal substances people buy often contain more harmful and deadly ingredients than they might have bargained for.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15832331&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=brain-damage-alert-over-shrek-ecstasy--name_page.html

"symptoms similar to Parkinson's disease" Huh WTF!

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of those. Meth and MDMA is very pleasurable mix, though obviously rather more dangerous than either drug on their own.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wonder if this is the start of meth appearing more frequently in the UK.
    Nash wrote:
    I wonder if this is the start of meth appearing more frequently in the UK.

There was a boom of meth pills back in 99/2000 (tri mitsis) but that didn't lead to more meth being taken in the country.
    Weekender Offender 
    Methamphetamine has been linked in some studies to Parkinsons, though it is always after huge doses over extended periods. That is of course not to say that meth is safe, it is far from it, even for those well versed in amphetamine it is very powerful.

If they are a mix of MDMA and meth then you cant smoke them and they wont have the addictive profile of meth because the MDMA will prevent binge use over long periods.

This isnt anything that out of the ordinary actually, as Skive points out, we've had triangle mitzi's in the past and that wasnt followed by large numbers of meth addicts or any noticable increase in Parkinsons.

However, meth and MDMA is a powerful and potentially dangerous mix, be careful.
    Hope some of those land in my dealers hands.
    The Daily Record isn't for taking seriously.
    Sounds Good To Me ...two For The Price Of One.
    J wrote:
    I've grown up a bit. Pills are shit.

So those of us who still enjoy them need to grow up?
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    So those of us who still enjoy them need to grow up?

not necessarily.. but i wouldnt say pills is a good option, unless u like taking risks... there is a chance of parkinsons, and is it worth taking a pill..

bah doesnt mean you will catch it.. just a possibility
    quarfly wrote:
    not necessarily.. but i wouldnt say pills is a good option, unless u like taking risks... there is a chance of parkinsons, and is it worth taking a pill..

The research which linked the two was actually conducted on methamphetamine rather than MDMA. So, given the dose disparity between MDMA and methamphetamine and methamphetamines much stronger action on the dopamine receptor its not hugely surprising that there should be a link.

There is however no solid evidence to suggest an increase of risk of Parkinsons following exposure to MDMA.
    quarfly wrote:

You don't 'catch' parkinsons and I wouldn't say driving was a good option either unless you like taking risks.

And is taking pills worth it? A lot of people seem to think so and I tend to agree with them.
    Weekender Offender 
    You could play it safe your whole life and still develop an illness when you get older, or get run over tomorrow. You might be increasing the risk by taking pills but we're all heading for the same place. The only thing that matters is making the most of the time you have.
    Vray wrote:
    You could play it safe your whole life and still develop an illness when you get older, or get run over tomorrow. You might be increasing the risk by taking pills but we're all heading for the same place. The only thing that matters is making the most of the time you have.

Its not really a 'might' virtually every study suggests that MDMA is harmful, its a matter of how harmful and what that harm means.

Plus if you are going to just 'make the most of your time' you might find your time a bit shorter.

I'm not trying to say MDMA is massively dangerous, its not all that risky, its just to totally shrug off the risk is careless. You can do really easy and simple things to reduce the risk and harm.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I'm not trying to say MDMA is massively dangerous, its not all that risky, its just to totally shrug off the risk is careless.

I don't think he was to be honest.
    To accept the risk is not the same as ignoring it.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I don't think he was to be honest.
    To accept the risk is not the same as ignoring it.

I think its a she actually.

It was just the line "The only thing that matters is making the most of the time you have"
    I'm a he, but I thought some people might think that when I said 'rush my tits off' the other day. Was just a figure of speech, or poor choice of words :)

When I said make the most of the time you have it in no way means ignore risks altogether, it's just not worth sacraficing the way you want to live out of fear for what might happen. It depends on your outlook on life, the way I see it when we're gone, we're gone. You're only here once for an insignificant amount of time in the grand scheme of things, so do what you want with it.
    Vray wrote:
    I'm a he, but I thought some people might think that when I said 'rush my tits off' the other day. Was just a figure of speech, or poor choice of words :)

I dont think it was that, I think I've only ever heard blokes using that phrase, sorry for getting it wrong.
    Is yaba the same drug that the Nazi's used in ww2 to keep soldiers awake for days marching etc.? Sorry, off-topic I know...
    Is yaba the same drug that the Nazi's used in ww2 to keep soldiers awake for days marching etc.? Sorry, off-topic I know...

Well yes and no.

Yes 'Yaba' normally refers to methamphetamine, the drug which has been used by many armys since WW2 (soldiers are quite often given amphetamines now, especially pilots). The reason for it being called Nazi speed is the myth that it was invented but them, it wasn't. However they did come up with an easier way of making it.

But, 'Yaba' is only normally methamphetamine, quite often it will be a mix of various amphetamines and sometimes even have morphine in it too.
    Had them over the past couple of months. Got a few sitting in my drawer next to me actually. Didn't really notice any sort of meth related high any of the times I've had them. Fucking wish I had 'cause the cheapest I can get meth for is £55 a gram :(

Another pill scare story on a slow news day, perhaps? Heroin in pills indeed...
    Kiez what an earth are you doing posting here I thought your cold turkey had been sucessfull!!!!!!!1
    Wyetry wrote:
    Kiez what an earth are you doing posting here I thought your cold turkey had been sucessfull!!!!!!!1

i linked him to this post ;p
    oh good there is hope for me yet!
    Wyetry wrote:

Aye, jake was asking me if I'd seen Shrek pills about, and I had :razz:
    Kiezo wrote:
    Fucking wish I had 'cause the cheapest I can get meth for is £55 a gram :(

That's far too steep. Especially as you can knock up fuck loads of it in your own bath tub for a fraction of that price.
    Weekender Offender 
    meth?? where abouts you from? i havent spotted any of that around yet

well you know how shit it is where we live ;)
    Skive wrote:
    That's far too steep. Especially as you can knock up fuck loads of it in your own bath tub for a fraction of that price.

Aye I know. Anyone we meet at raves/parties etc. always seems to be able to get it for between £20 - £30, but you know how that kinda pilled up chat goes:

"Yeah mate I'll be able to get you it for £25! Gimmie your number and I'll give you a text about it tomorrow night!"

The very next week you're having the same conversation with someone different :razz:
    meth?? where abouts you from? i havent spotted any of that around yet

Glasgow! Apparently it's alot more common in the scumbag places like Dundee, Aberdeen, Fife etc.
    Kiezo wrote:
    "Yeah mate I'll be able to get you it for £25! Gimmie your number and I'll give you a text about it tomorrow night!"

i love them convos cos you know neither you or he will ever phone or text each other after that
    turlough wrote:
    i love them convos cos you know neither you or he will ever phone or text each other after that

Aye! The latest culprit was an entry in my phone book under 'Zack the Raver' from last weekend ;[
    Kiezo wrote:
    Aye! The latest culprit was an entry in my phone book under 'Zack the Raver' from last weekend ;[

:lol: he probably has you something like "kool kiezo"