Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

financial difficulties

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,
Im due to start college in septembetr and will have to drive about 30 miles to get there and 30 miles back home. Now this isnt the problem because i dnt mind travelling but because my course is full time i will only be working weekends and earning about £50. It will cost about £20 a week in petrol not to mention maintaining and running a car and clothes, books, social life. Im really worried that i will have no money. Any1 studying full time and running a car? how do u manage to cope on little money income? iv looked into help but cantget it because it is a higher education course (no loan) and my parents have a high income but wont give me money(they believe in independance).
Any help appreciated
thnx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are there any hardship loans available?
    Yeh it does mention them but because my parents earn more then a certain amount im not classed as in need, even though they dnt actually give me money.
    Why can't you get a student loan? Could you maybe discuss it with your parents and tell them your concerns? You never know, they might be willing to help out.
    find an old pair of shoes that have a big hole in them, and say that this is now your only pair of shoes, and this means you are now under the poverty line, and say you really need cash.

No, just tell them how hard it will be, sit them down and show them with excell spreadsheets and show them that you really won't have enough money to be able to do this and can they help you out a little, maybe just do some more chores and they will give you an extra £25 a week.
    becky4131 wrote:
    Hi,
    Im due to start college in septembetr and will have to drive about 30 miles to get there and 30 miles back home. Now this isnt the problem because i dnt mind travelling but because my course is full time i will only be working weekends and earning about £50. It will cost about £20 a week in petrol not to mention maintaining and running a car and clothes, books, social life. Im really worried that i will have no money. Any1 studying full time and running a car? how do u manage to cope on little money income? iv looked into help but cantget it because it is a higher education course (no loan) and my parents have a high income but wont give me money(they believe in independance).
    Any help appreciated
    thnx
    you should still be able to apply for a good proportion of your student loan even if your parents have a high income.
    presumably you'll be living at your parents house whilst studying?
    also, you can apply for a hardship loan if and when you are really struggling to make ends meet financially from your university.
    alternatively, what about seeking accomodation at / near to your uni?
    I cant get a student loan because its a further education course and not higher education. Its not actually uni im going too but college so im not entitled to any financial help.
    get a better paying job? do some work now and save up? £50 a week is fine, that gives you £200 a month. i guess you won't be paying rent?
    no not paying rent, will be living at home with parents. The job is farely well paid already and allother jobs iv seen are lower pay. Im sure i will manage i mean im not going to have much choice.