Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Working at Uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I understand that when i start uni, i'm gonna have to get a job, but theres one thing i'm worried bout, the summer holidays is quite a long time of uni, so poeple usually go home, but what bout your job, are employers normally understanding enough to give you time off? because there won't be enough holidays to cover all half terms and summeer holidays as well? anyone help to set me straight would be appreciated. :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends on the employer really. I worked at Wilkinsons when I was at uni and one of the girls I lived with worked at a Tesco and both of those were really horrible about holidays, they just about coped with two weeks at Easter and Christmas but it took ages to talk them into it. However, one of my friends worked at a McDs (poor kid) and they have some sort of student contract where you work term time only. Also places like TK Maxx will transfer you over the summer and things. Best thing to do is try and get a job in your university gym or something where they will be understanding.

xxx
    I got my job through my University's Job Shop and my employer allows me to arrange my shifts around my lectures and take time off when I have exams or go back home over the holidays.

A couple of friends have also got jobs through the University Job Shop and their employers are similar to mine, others have jobs with big companies such as Sainsburys which allow them to transfer to their local shop when they are home for the holidays.
    I got a job in the Uni itself as an entertainments steward. A lot of Universities will hire students to work behind the bars, with the door staff (as I do) or doing admin stuff around the uni. Ask one of the union bars managers if they're looking to hire new staff etc. Your uni jobshop should advertise any jobs within the university.

The good thing about it is you're garuanteed to be able to organise your shifts around lectures.
    I would just like to point out that you do not HAVE to get a job, it depends on your own personal finances. I didn't need a job during term time, I just worked during summers when I was an undergrad.

Agency work might suit students, some universites have on campus agencies specifically for students and you can work as often or as little as you need to really.......
    some places near a university will accomodate for the fact that you'd only be around during term town. it's worth a look around.
    sometimes you can transfer to a different branch of wherever you are working when you go home for the summer.
    some students though don't go home over the summer and just carry on supporting themselves over that time. (- like me! :D )
    it will depend soely on your employer.
    been to look at my falt where im stayin, my landlord also owns over 100 house over the city, if i stay with them next year, they give me the time on between for free, so its not a problem if i cant get the time off.
    You are SO lucky to have the time in between for free, I have never known that - make the most of it!
    i get mine free too. my contract states that he's charging me £0.01p during may-september. He said he has to charge us something or something like that. But don't think i'll be sending a cheque! but...won't you want to be going home during the holidays? i know boston is still in lincolnshire, but still a bit of an unnecessary drive.
    Yeh just check first, if they know you're a student a lot of the time they're ok if its somewhere student would want to/tend to work.
    Try the 'workplace' at your uni, a lot of them have them its just somewhere that advertises jobs specifically for students.

Im a topshop manager and we offer a transfer service for our staff as a lot of them are students so they can transfer to their home town for the summer etc, but it is dependant on whether that store has space for them, it's not guaranteed although we do our best.

what uni are you going to?
    badabing wrote:

what uni are you going to?

she's off to lincoln. the topshop in lincoln is crap! :impissed:
    last time i went in the topshop in lincoln....bout 2/3 weeks ago. there was hardly anything in it. Plus it was only topman stuff the topshop side was empty. think they were refurbishing or summits. Its not lookin likely that i'm gonna get a transfer, but when i get my main timetable, ive been told to take into the shop and speak to the manager and he said he will see what he can do, until then, i will still be lookin for another job just to be safe.
    Mia16 wrote:
    last time i went in the topshop in lincoln....bout 2/3 weeks ago. there was hardly anything in it. Plus it was only topman stuff the topshop side was empty. think they were refurbishing or summits. Its not lookin likely that i'm gonna get a transfer, but when i get my main timetable, ive been told to take into the shop and speak to the manager and he said he will see what he can do, until then, i will still be lookin for another job just to be safe.

what i mean is, the topshop in lincoln is pathetically small. i've seen bigger bloody bathrooms.

you might not want a job for the first few weeks anyway. but you need to get in there quick if you do.