Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My computers got AIDS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK....
Hope someone can help me...
Id like to think im somewhat computer literate but im a bit baffled by my xurrent computer probs.
The last 2 weeks my computer has gotten gradually slower and today its almost come to a standstill...Annoying me a great deal.
Par example : take a minute to change songs on media player,long delays on opening up internet pages,internet excruiatingly slow despite having 2mb broadband.
Ive done numerous virus checks and spyware checks and no avail...
My computer genius boyfriend says i need to reinstall windows but i dont want to do this due to the sheer amount il have to back up [writings/pictures/music] and i dont have a dvd burner so id have to put it onto shit loads of CD's dont fancy that much.
I dont want him to have a rummage around on my computer because of the stuff im worried hel find....ahem....and i dont want to have to reinstall so what should i do?
Ive already used system restore and i use windows xp home edition.
please help.I hate my computer being ill.. :crying:

Comments

• Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    tryed De-fragging and disc clean up? both utilities are found in Start > Accesories > System Utilities.

They will take some time, if you are still finding a problem after that, ask your 'computer wizz' boyfriend to install some more RAM :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I assume you've turned it off and back on again?

Is the slowdown associated with the use of a specific program?

Have you noticed any other evidence of virus activity?

Any hard disk space left?

From My Computer right click each hard drive and choose Properties ---> Clean Up ---> Select everything but compress to save space and let it finish that, then from the Tools tab of the Properties run a defrag of each.

Then pop a list of your active system processes up here
    (Ctrl+Alt+Delete ---> Processes tab ---> Print screen ---> Open Paint ---> Paste ---> Save as .jpeg ---> Upload to www.imageshack.us)

Ta
    Also what is your CPU usage when the computer is supposed to be idle.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    She think's her PC has an STD I doubt she know's what her CPU is let alone how to find the usage levels
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    She think's her PC has an STD I doubt she know's what her CPU is let alone how to find the usage levels

I think she's trying to be funny, but then again, so are you..

Ahhhhhhahaha! You nearly got me there! :p
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    That will be an STI Opposed to an STD....
    Doing what you suggested ginner,will post back results up here little later one.Ta for advice :)
    Dr Pirate wrote:

and theres dr pirate who goes sticking his 3.5inch floppy into any bay he can find :P
    Dr Pirate wrote:

if people are asking her to check her processes its quite simple that when she does that there is a giant box with CPU USAGE written on it and a % indicator. Also wouldn't it have been more helpful to explain how to do it rather than say she wont know.
    Did you give up?
    Defragged my comp and as it was 39% fragmented....ahem
    Computer is running much better now.Huzzah.
    Considering switching from microsoft to linux.
    Yay or nay?
    Defragged my comp and as it was 39% fragmented....ahem
    Computer is running much better now.Huzzah.
    Considering switching from microsoft to linux.
    Yay or nay?

It'll be rather alien if you're not used to Windows, not really that intuitive and also you can't play games. I'd say nay but if you want to be frustrated for a week then why not?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You can easily have both windows and linux (provided you have enough hard drive space), and only use Windows to play games. That's basically what I do.

Plus, you can use an emulator for games that are old.
    What do you do on your computer? Try Ubuntu live, ubuntu is probably the most user friendly linux out there who's perspective on things is that 'it should just work'. Live means you pop in the CD without having to format your hard drive to see how it works.

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/
    Disk clean-up doesn't geniunely empty out the temp folders. To do it fully, navigate to C:\Windows\Temp, empty that and then do the same to C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Temp.

After that, run the defrag.

Also, go to Start > Run > msconfig and take out everything except for the antivirus, firewall and any resident spyware shields.
    What do you do on your computer? Try Ubuntu live, ubuntu is probably the most user friendly linux out there who's perspective on things is that 'it should just work'. Live means you pop in the CD without having to format your hard drive to see how it works.

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

Slackware far more fun. You learn linux by struggling with it.