Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The obligatory how will your team do this season?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Derby County: After our numpty board successfully allowed one of the best managers we've had in years to leave. Were left with Bolton's assistant manager with know experience of first team management. Fantastic.

So with the numskulls upstairs who can't publish our ever-growing on time plus an inexperienced manager in charge its back to mid-table obscurity for us me thinks.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Leeds to get promoted *fingers crossed*. Think they will be there and there abouts the play-offs come the end of the season and hopefully we can sneak up through them. Made some good signings towards the end of last season and have added another 7 over the summer. So I'm hoping for good things this season. Drew in a friendly against Celtic (although quite a few of their top names were out) but still not a bad achievement against 1 of 2 top teams in Scotland.
    The best i can hope for Cardiff i think is to not get relegated to League One.

For my second and local team at uni, Exeter City, i think they can get promotion to league two. I'm increasingly becoming closer to Exeter than Cardiff nowadays it seems.

If Exeter Get Man U in the cup again we'll beat them this time. ;)
    Man Utd to finish 2nd in the Prem - best we can hope for I'm afraid. Probably good FA Cup run, and will look like we're not trying but get through the league stages of champs league, then draw someone half decent and be 'unlucky' (i.e. Sir Alex's definition of not good enough) again!!!

Really hope we can run Chelsea close though, think having a good experienced keeper may do us good again, but afraid it may still not be enough.
    Im feeling quietly confident about Arsenal's season, i know we haven't bought anyone you would call major, im looking forward to see how our youngsters will do. Especially interested to see who will fill the gap of Vieira and how we'll do without him.

Again i think it will be Chelsea who will be our main contenders and i think if we can tighten up defencesively(sp?!) we can push them all the way as you all know Arsenal's attack is one of the best in the country. ;)

Reckon we'll get pretty far in the FA Cup, hopefully another final and i'm hoping and praying that this year we will actually show our true potential in the Champions League, but we say that every year and we always fail ... but we'll see.

Can't wait for the season to start. Last year at Highbury, i'm looking to go to a few of the bigger games there i.e vs ManUre and/or vs Chelsea. Nice new kit as well :D
    Burnley are gonna have a midtable season again i think maybe outside playoff hopefulls. ive got a bet on for leeds each way to win our league, i think they are gonna be really strong this season.

Accy stanley (my other team) to make playoffs maybe scab a auto position.
    Man City to 'do an Everton'. And hopfully Plymouth to finish in the top half of the Championship.
    liverpool to finish 2nd or 3rd, win the FA cup and have a respectable defence of their champions league cup, quater finals maybe
    newcastle will come 6th i think
    MrG wrote:
    newcastle will come 6th i think
    how optimistic you are but I hope you're right.
    koe_182 wrote:
    ive got a bet on for leeds each way to win our league, i think they are gonna be really strong this season.
    I'm not a regular at the bookies but I put the odd sports bets on, I wanted to put a bet on Leeds getting promoted. I didn't think they'd win it and the woman said you can put a bet on each way which is the top 3 and I didn't click at the time but since thought that the 3rd place will be the team that gets promoted through the play-offs (even if they finish 6th). Can you tell me if this is correct or not?? cheers
    i'm hoping two seasons without the title will piss ferguson off enough to give the players a good kick up the arse........and if we get another decent midfielder i think we can push for top spot........my heart says 1st my head says 2nd.........all comes down to if we start the season slowly, which is united tradition......
    i think United are in the same position now as Liverpool were in the early 90's..a dominant team on the fall, this season is critical for them
    My heart says "Champions", my head says lucky to hit top three... :(

Champions League could be interesting though.
    Derby County: After our numpty board successfully allowed one of the best managers we've had in years to leave.

Only because he was slipping one to, among others, Marcus Tudgay's bird. Allegedly.

We'll finsih in mid-table. Maybe playoffs if we're lucky.
    turlough wrote:
    i think United are in the same position now as Liverpool were in the early 90's..a dominant team on the fall, this season is critical for them

This season is indeed very important.

I don't think we're like Liverpool. Souness raped Liverpool by getting rid of good players with no decent replacements. We, on the other hand have the strongest team we've had for years. People forget that for much of last season we were the in-form team, the team to beat. We were just playing catch-up beause of a shitty start and ended up throwing it away at the end. We also have to compete with the money machine Chelsea, which was never a case before. It's certainly a much more difficult for us now.
    Kermit wrote:
    Only because he was slipping one to, among others, Marcus Tudgay's bird. Allegedly.

:eek:

Would still prefer him in charge whoever he slips one to.
    Is that true?
    Arsenal to finish top 3. We will struggle to fill Vieira's boots but it won't be the struggle many fans of rivals would like to see. I'd expect an experience midfielder to come in the January window. IMO a goalkeeper and a defender should be our top priorities if we are going to challenge for the title. The first six games will give an idea of our direction, the Russian State Circus game being the real test for the new Arsenal.
    Derby County: After our numpty board successfully allowed one of the best managers we've had in years to leave. Were left with Bolton's assistant manager with know experience of first team management. Fantastic.

So with the numskulls upstairs who can't publish our ever-growing on time plus an inexperienced manager in charge its back to mid-table obscurity for us me thinks.

Rangers - we'll win the SPL i would predict without too much difficulty. Good signings, some quality players have come in, some established internationals and captains, some younger chaps with plenty to prove - a good mix.

For the first time i can really remember, we've got a team which at full strength looks capable of a good European run (Prso, Buffel, Fan-Fan, Ferguson, Hemdani & Novo are the critical players).

So it's onwards & upwards...I hope. :thumb:
    Stockport County - rubbish. Like last season. Finish in the second half of the league... if they even stay up.

:p
    manickev wrote:
    Is that true?
    According to holymoly.co.uk it is.

He was sacked because he couldn't keep his cock out of players' girlfriends.
    Not sure with Rovers, we now have a fairly stable side for the first time in years. I'm hoping for the play offs at least. Saw them in the 'friendly' against City and we did well enough against a so-called better team :yuck: so we should do ok.
    addicted7 wrote:
    This season is indeed very important.

I don't think we're like Liverpool. Souness raped Liverpool by getting rid of good players with no decent replacements. We, on the other hand have the strongest team we've had for years. People forget that for much of last season we were the in-form team, the team to beat. We were just playing catch-up beause of a shitty start and ended up throwing it away at the end. We also have to compete with the money machine Chelsea, which was never a case before. It's certainly a much more difficult for us now.

I think United are definitely declining...although they'll still be competing for top spot, their dominance is over.

What do you make of Ferguson? Losing his touch? Replacing him could be United's best chance of fighting off Chelsea to the league title, re-vitalise the club sort of thing...then again, it would be a massive gamble.
    For the first season in a while I'm confident Rangers will win the league. Hopefully by quite a few points (my nerves can't handle another season like last season or the one 2yrs ago!).

Hopefully they'll do ok in the Champions League as well.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I think United are definitely declining...although they'll still be competing for top spot, their dominance is over.

What do you make of Ferguson? Losing his touch? Replacing him could be United's best chance of fighting off Chelsea to the league title, re-vitalise the club sort of thing...then again, it would be a massive gamble.

That's the problem with being SO successful though, if you win championship after championship, as soon as you miss out on one it's always going to be a step down, a decline. Certainly our domestic dominance is over. The league has changed and the bar has been raised. Chelsea won last season with the highest points total in premiership history. It's up to us to meet the new challenge.

Chelsea can buy, buy, buy, until finally something works but I don't think their success is that credible. Jose Mourinho taunted Gerrard for staying at Liverpool by saying that over the next 10 years Chelsea will have won far more trophies than Liverpool. I can usually laugh and enjoy the special one's comments but I thought this was totally out of line. I don't like Liverpool but I can respect Gerrard for wanting to stay at his boyhood club where he is idolised rather than join a Russian Billionaire's over-payed plaything. Chelsea may well win more than Liverpool but one trophy at Liverpool is worth TEN at Chelsea so fuck it. And I feel the same for United. If we can meet this challenge and actually manage to win a title, it will be the best and most satisfying one yet, and that includes over-turning a 15 point deficit to pip Arsenal to the trophy in 2003 :p .

And no, sacking Ferguson is not the way forward. He will step down when he feels it is right, he won't be sacked. I have full faith in him.
    Spliffie wrote:

Not sure if I'd use the word decline. It's worth noting that other teams (namely Arsenal and Chelsea) have needed to raise their standards - in one case costing a couple on hundred million to get there. It's not that United have dropped very far themselves...

Nah, he stays. You don't win that much, reach those levels by being crap. What has changed is the desire within the player pool... and the approach...
    Today's comments by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge made me laugh, it must be said.

I think he might be right too.

Nah, he stays. You don't win that much, reach those levels by being crap. What has changed is the desire within the player pool... and the approach...

...which is ultimately the responsibility of Ferguson. His desire is probably not what it once was, he's getting on now and has won all the main competitions as well....a change of regime and personnel might bring a bit more of a spark back, but it'd be a risky business.
    I accept that, but he can only influence to a degree. The individuals are part of that responsibility too.

The current situation which surrounds Rio isn't of Fergie's making... for example