Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Teachers union calls for reintroduction of grammar schools

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does spoon-feeding really help?
  • Options
    So Jon you expect every teacher then to give up their entire life to motivate every single child to the fullest. That child then learns something what is that? Erm oh yes that it isn't up to them its up to someone else.

If you look I haven't said teachers shouldn't motivate just that naturally they will but you cannot try and blame them if you are in fact too bone idle to deserve to well in school.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Depends on what your aim is.

It helps them pass exams.

It helps prevent them thinking for themselves.
  • Options
    Blaming your teachers for not having the motivation is bollocks.

Someone I know practically did that one time...
    Fiend_85 wrote:

I don't think it does - I always found it easier to be given the work then left to get on with it and would ask for help when I needed it. However, I'm sure that in some of my lessons, I'd be asked regularly if I needed any help. But I was never spoon-fed.
  • Options
    But I was never spoon-fed.

LOL. Everyone who goes to school is spoon fed.
    It helps prevent them thinking for themselves.

Which was the original intent of state schools. They have got exceedingly good at it. How many things have I pointed out aren't facts that just can't be accepted as fictions because of a childhood of conditioning?

The exams themselves are a way of molding young minds with certain beliefs, making sure that only those that accept "the program" will get through. It's why the people at the top remain the same to a large degree, they are always replaced by people just like themselves.

How many times were you forced to accept the mantra "I know it's not quite right but you'll have to play along to get your exams" when asking about the relevance of learning matrices or whatever.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    How many times were you forced to accept the mantra "I know it's not quite right but you'll have to play along to get your exams" when asking about the relevance of learning matrices or whatever.

you dont learn matrices in 2ndry school

and theyre very boring and about as seprated from the world as quantum physics, however, they are extremely useful

being taught politics at a levels or psychology is a joke imo though, much like citizenship at secondry school which shouts out thought control to me
  • Options
    you dont learn matrices in 2ndry school

Was it primary then? Cos i did them at school I know that much mate.
    and theyre very boring and about as seprated from the world as quantum physics, however, they are extremely useful

Make your mind up.
    being taught politics at a levels or psychology is a joke imo though, much like citizenship at secondry school which shouts out thought control to me

Yes, because learning about different political systems and the inner workings of your own mind and asking questions about those subjects is bound to enslave you. :rolleyes:

I wasn't reffering to that anyway. I was refering to the fact that you are taught to kowtow in general, that having bits of paper makes you competent, that you should do as your told even when you know for a fact that it's stupid.

In short, you learn to be a happy little robot, or a sad little robot, or an angry little robot, but still a robot.
  • Options
    one of the problems with having students of different motivations in the same class is that quite often teachers spend time trying to get the less motivated students to pay attention and work etc, so that the lesson isn't as disrupted. Even within sets, disruptions can happen. At fiend's and my high school, i was in the top set for maths. however i know that our class was behind the other top-set class as we had several lessons where we learnt nothing because the teacher was trying to get less motivated students to pay attention.
  • Options
    So Jon you expect every teacher then to give up their entire life to motivate every single child to the fullest. That child then learns something what is that? Erm oh yes that it isn't up to them its up to someone else.

I expect a teacher to spend their working life trying to motivate every single student. This is what they are being paid for. This is part of their job. People will always try to shift blame for their own failures this is not unique to children whose teachers attempt to motivate them and fail. Whether they are successful or not part of a teachers job is to attempt to motivate all their students.
    If you look I haven't said teachers shouldn't motivate just that naturally they will but you cannot try and blame them if you are in fact too bone idle to deserve to well in school.

Well you said this:
    So Jon you expect every teacher then to give up their entire life to motivate every single child to the fullest.
    and this:
    why should teachers waste time that could be used helping people who are struggling but want to work to 'motivate' you just because you could do it if you wanted.

Which seems to suggest that if a student isn't responding well to motivation then the teacher should stop trying with them which I strongly dissagree with as each individual is likely to change a great deal during their school years, Especially in maturity, and the student that was lazy and disinclined to learn in the first 3 years may well turn around in the second 3.

I have never said that teachers should be blamed for students who genuinley have no interest in learning and in fact in my last two posts I have said this exact statement:
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Don't get me wrong if a kid does fuck all then they only have themselves to blame. I wont argue with you there.

So why you've brought it up again as if it's something I'm defending I don't know?
  • Options
    Whether you agree with me or not, the students who actually want to do well get less attention from the teachers. How can this be fair?

Why should those students who want to do well be disadvantaged because they are doing the work and have the motivation to do the work? Why should the teachers spend all the time on those students who cannot be arsed?

I never said that ...
    Jon_UK wrote:
    A teachers job is to motivate all their students. Not to spend more time on those who are less inclined to learn and less on those who are but equally not to spend more time on those who are self motivated and less on those who aren't!
  • Options
    Sorry, my mistake.

A teachers job is to motivate ALL their students but it just doens't happen.

Its those pupils who cannot be arsed that get the teacher's attention.

Which of course is wrong. Self motivated students shouldn't be neglected you're perfectly rigtht.

I'm curious though ... when you say 'it just doesn't happen. Its those pupils who cannot be arsed that get the teacher's attention,' is that coming just from your personal experience at school, or are you training to be a teacher, or have you perhaps investigated this sort of thing during courses at uni?

I'm not being sarcastic. Just interested to know because that was quite a sweeping statement and I was wondering where its come from. My secondary school was very into league tables and in achieving results ... when it became apparant that I wasn't one of the brighter students in my class I felt like I was pigeon holed as someone who was not going to achieve much, felt like there was little point in me trying and slacked off .... i suppose i would have been considered 'bone idle' by many of the posters here. I still got all A to Cs in my gcse's but wouldn't have been allowed to A levels in 6th form, it was GNVQ or nothing. I went to a different 6th form college, did A levels and got reasonably good grades and got to uni. Only because my 6th form teachers didn't have me down as 'a bit of a trouble maker' or whatever else and made an effort with me.

So my school seems to be the reverse of yours. Unless your knowledge is coming from more than just your own experience at school I would argue that perhaps its not as clear cut as you thought.
  • Options
    No Jon you are not paying attention. A teacher will naturally motivate students but why should they give more attention to people who are being bone idle. They should get the same as everyone else. If you want to be a lazy twat and slack off don't blame teachers if they don't suddenly give you more motivation.

If you waste the opportunity of school then tough shit.
  • Options
    No Jon you are not paying attention. A teacher will naturally motivate students but why should they give more attention to people who are being bone idle. They should get the same as everyone else. If you want to be a lazy twat and slack off don't blame teachers if they don't suddenly give you more motivation.

:banghead: Are you actually reading any of my replies?
  • Options

In my school... Especially in science the teacher only really paid attention to the people who were brightest, which was a bitch in science because anybody who had problems with say... mathematics would not be able to keep up.

I think perhaps the teachers shouldn't label people as much as they do, there's a lot of evidence against labelling and another thing to note about schools is that often, attainment tends to be class related. But then how are people going to help?

Perhaps there could be classroom assistants to help those with low attainment, but more casual assistance rather than a strict teacher... Perhaps for example, somebody younger. It's the attitudes of the young people that are what causes the problem... Maybe schools are too institutionalised too.

But yeah, some people seem to be beyond help in the case of laziness and getting negative attention off teachers works again, as enforcing label. But perhaps the sort of 'look at me, I'm cool' label... Kinda like the asbo. It's sad that people idolise football players or pop stars rather than intellectual people...
  • Options
    It's sad that people idolise football players or pop stars rather than intellectual people...

Not really - the people who do idolise intellectuals are usually tiresome and facetious arseholes who are most definitely not intellectual in any sense.

Truly intellectual people generally don't idolise other intellectuals.

Fame, money, drugs and women are far more attractive propositions - that doesn't mean people can't engage their brains in intellectual activity, though.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Not really - the people who do idolise intellectuals are usually tiresome and facetious arseholes who are most definitely not intellectual in any sense.

Truly intellectual people generally don't idolise other intellectuals.

Out of interest what do you base either of these statements on?
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    :banghead: Are you actually reading any of my replies?

Yes doesn't mean your saying anything that I agree with. Why should a teacher devote any more time to a pupil to motivate them than the rest of the class. Especially if it is purely because the pupil is bone idle rather than struggling because they haven't got the courage to stand up to a bit of peer pressure.
  • Options
    Yes doesn't mean your saying anything that I agree with. Why should a teacher devote any more time to a pupil to motivate them than the rest of the class. Especially if it is purely because the pupil is bone idle rather than struggling because they haven't got the courage to stand up to a bit of peer pressure.

OK, one more time. So far in your last 4 posts (including the one above) you have made the same point:

So Jon are you trying to suggest that no teacher motivates their students? If you don't respond to the motivation because you are bone idol then it is indeed tough shit.

Each time you have ignored the fact that I said:
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Don't get me wrong if a kid does fuck all then they only have themselves to blame. I wont argue with you there.

and ...
    Jon_UK wrote:
    A teachers job is to motivate all their students. Not to spend more time on those who are less inclined to learn and less on those who are but equally not to spend more time on those who are self motivated and less on those who aren't!

I really don't know what I can do to make you read what I'm actually saying. You have reiterated the same point over and over ... you don't think that lazy kids should blame their teachers ... I fucking AGREE !!!!!!!!!!! If a child makes no effort they have no right to blame their teacher!

Are we clear on that?

But ... just because a student does not appear to be working does not mean the teacher can neglect them.

It doesn't mean they should spend more time on them! It doesn't mean the self motivated kids should suffer! Just that the teacher shouldn't give up on a student as a lost cause!

A teacher should be trying to motivate all their students equally.

Now if you disagree with that thats fine but please don't repeat that you think its unfair that lazy kids blame their teachers because I'm not arguing with you there. If you think that the teacher should spend less time with the children who show no inclination to learn and more on those who do ... ok ... but please explain to me why this should be.

But before you do ... please notice that I have (repeatedly) said I do not think that teachers should spend more time motivating students who refuse to try. Just that they should not spend less time on them either!
  • Options
    Personally I agree with the teachers' union, there should be more grammer schools. Grammer schools allow the brighter children to be taught better by the teachers and pushed to the maximum extent of their academic abilities. However comprehensives do not allow this to happen. Instead the stupid children are lumped together with the clever, often disrupting lessons as they don't care about school work. The stupid children find the work set too hard, whilst the clever find it too easy, meaning the education system fails both. Hopefully with more selective schools, brighter children will be able to achive their full potential, whilst those who are less bright can learn things which have a more hands on approach such as wood work or DT.

It is a fallacy to say the grammer schools are unfair to those who fail the 11+, if anything it helps them. Some children are born stupid, some clever, most mediocre, different schools don't hinder, they help. Less intelligent children can be taught slowly in comprehensives, whilst the brighter can be taught things faster in grammer schools.

Also this talk of elitism in grammer schools is ridiculous, if anything the opposite is true. Children go to grammer schools based solely on ability, not because they have rich parents that can send them to public schools. Grammer schools are diverse, with rich and poor side by side, they are anything but elitist.
  • Options
    Except that the 11+ is shite, I failed it, went to a grammar school and kept pace with little effort.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Except that the 11+ is shite, I failed it, went to a grammar school and kept pace with little effort.

Indeed same for me except I even spent a year at a comprehensive first (which was way way way too easy for me i might add) While I have to say there were obviously people in some of my grammar classes who had been trained up to pass the 11+ and nothing else because they really were well...thick.